1.    #1  
    Starting this Tuesday I will officially become a Palm Pre Plus user coming from the MOTO Droid and had some questions for you webOS aficionados! First any highly recommended apps I need to check out? Then of course I must ask: is the Touchstone a must buy accessory? Lastly any tips or tricks on how to make the most of new and beloved Pre Plus??? Thanks in advance for your help and look forward to my stay here!!! Oh and yes I will be checking out the newb and FAQ articles!
    what didnt you like about your droid...

i'm trying to decide between a pre and a droid
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    yes the touchstone is a must buy. I got two. To make the most out of your new pre get Preware (available through Homebrew) installed so you can customize your pre plus to your liking.

Gdail pro is my favorite app, it's a google voice client app.
    Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post
    yes the touchstone is a must buy. I got two. To make the most out of your new pre get Preware (available through Homebrew) installed so you can customize your pre plus to your liking.
    I concour, if you commute in a car alot, TS is the only way to go! Check out this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-shipping.html
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevsx1000 View Post
    Starting this Tuesday I will officially become a Palm Pre Plus user coming from the MOTO Droid and had some questions for you webOS aficionados! First any highly recommended apps I need to check out? Then of course I must ask: is the Touchstone a must buy accessory? Lastly any tips or tricks on how to make the most of new and beloved Pre Plus??? Thanks in advance for your help and look forward to my stay here!!! Oh and yes I will be checking out the newb and FAQ articles!
    Must have apps for me are Battery Monitor (get it from Homebrew, I'll get to that), paratrooper, newsroom, and NFSU. Those are the ones I use a lot and really like.

I'd get a touchstone, it is a really sweet accessory and you'll really like the ease of not having to deal with the stupid USB plug for charging purposes.

Make sure you get Preware! http://www.precentral.net/getting-started-preware Go to that link and it will show you how to install and use it.

Enjoy your Pre, it is a great little phone and with 1.4 coming soon it will only get better
    1. Pandora, need for speed or asphalt, fandango, stopwatch, weatherbug (or accuweather, weather channel), rockus sound machine, engadget, launchpoint. any shoutcase client.

homebrew apps: preware, devmode launcher, super tux, battery monitor, comics, Dr.podder. Music (remix)

2, not at original price, but now you can get it for $30, its a must at this price point.

3, type more, WebOS shines when you use keyboard more, anywhere, everywhere.

reduce frequency of email checking, its greatly impact battery life

wifi does not consume more battery than 3G, so use it whenever you can

orange+sym+p for screen capture
    orange+sym+u for USB HDD mode
    orange+sym+r for reboot of device

dont shut down device by removing battery, shut it down properly

extra battery can be purchased from ebay for $10
    Last edited by clevin; 01/24/2010 at 07:31 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hmniphoto View Post

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the DROID and will probably keep it as a secondary... maybe but the 29.99 a month will become a nuisance real fast! Its just that the Pre is wayyyyyyyyy better at multi-tasking. And for as much as Big Red touts the DROIDs multi-tasking abilities compared to the iPhone (yuck! it looks like a Fischer Price phone when compared with the Pre. Both phones are great when it comes to certain things but I really want a multi-tasker so on to the Pre!
    once u get preware installed i recommend dl'ing sms tone per contact to set diff smstones for diff people
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

reduce frequency of email checking, its greatly impact battery life
    If your mail server supports IMAP IDLE (Gmail does!) then setting your phone to download messages "As they arrive" can actually be more efficient in terms of battery life. It makes for a better experience too.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmniphoto View Post

I used the pre back in June. I just ordered the pre plus tonight. I currently use the Droid.

Droid:

+ has best gps on any phone... and it's free. Satellite view and street view FTW!!!
    + browser is not as good as the pre but it's nice.
    + speech recognition is pretty cool.
    + battery life is really good.
    + seems faster than the sprint pre.
    + probably will always have more apps than the pre. I read that android apps will pass iphones apps (not sure if that's true)
    - keyboard is flat
    - droid is a tad heavy
    - non-gmail email delivery can be sporadic
    - droid is not secure for some stringent microsoft exchange setups
    - can be a little clunky
    - pre browser speed, browser experience is better

Must have droid apps:

Home++, super dial, pda net