1.    #1  
    I've been following this site for many months-- almost since launch day of the Pre. 11/1 last year was my first date for being elligible. Had an Instinct, threw it in the lake (was a bad day!), so I activated my old M810 (the really thin flip one) because I refused to pay $100 TEP for another Instinct as frustrated as I was with that phone. Eventually, the M810 started acting up, so Sprint sent me a free Rant-- did not like--so they sent me a free Exclaim (the updated Rant). Was an 'ok' phone, but I was still waiting to see how things would shake out with the smartphones at Sprint. Excellent Sprint CS by the way. Two free phones-- did not ask for brand new Rant back and did not ask me to renew my contract.

From the months of following the Pre on this site, and elsewhere, I loved it and decided that it would be my first real smart phone. Then, sometime over the past few months, I went back and forth, until I felt like Palm was in trouble and the platform was a sinking ship. And then came the Verizon launch annoucement along with everything talked about at CES. Well on Friday, without hesitation, I got finally got the Pre.

I have been on hyper alert for the various issues talked about here. So I can report that after a few days, I don't have any HW issues. I like the keyboard and am much faster already, then I was with the full landscape keyboards on the Rant and Exclaim. I lOVE the form factor. I did have one issue this morning where it shut down when I shut it. That was a one-time event, but I will be watching for it.

I am going to order a protector mainly to make the back cover more grippy. All my chargers from the Rant and Exclaim are compatible (hurray for universal micro USB), so I've got three wall chargers and two car chargers. I don't worry about the Touchstone, at least for now. I'm also going to order another battery and a charging dock for those times when I'm not near a charging source to easily double my battery time.

Funny thing as an aside- I've heard so many people talk about letting the battery go all the way down from time to time to increase battery performance, where the Palm manual specifically says to charge the battery every chance you can and that it will last the best when topped off as often as possible. Glad I read that.

Anyway-- I am extremely happy with the phone as is and look forward to even better updates coming from Palm.

Paul
    Last edited by AustinPaul; 01/24/2010 at 01:38 PM.
    in regard to the shutting off when closing (you may have already come across this with as much as you've been around this site), it is an ill fitting battery. if you fold up a small piece of paper and put it between the top of the battery and the area it fits into, it should resolve the issue. i had that problem, and it hasn't happened once since the mcgyver fix.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    in regard to the shutting off when closing (you may have already come across this with as much as you've been around this site), it is an ill fitting battery. if you fold up a small piece of paper and put it between the top of the battery and the area it fits into, it should resolve the issue. i had that problem, and it hasn't happened once since the mcgyver fix.
    Yes, I do recall that. Thanks for reminding me. I blamed it on my taking off the back cover, taking out the battery, and maybe not getting in back in there perfectly. It's not my favorite remove/reinstall back cover, but I'm sure I'll get used to it if I get into the habit of swapping batteries.

Thanks-- Paul
    congrats for the purchase!

there is no point running Li-ion battery down except to calibrate the OS to report battery properly. For Li-ion, priming will not increase battery capacity.

top it off is the right thing to do.
    Take your battery into a Sprint store, if it is the defective one, they will replace it for free.
    In regards to the battery run down thing...sporadically the WebOS updates seem to scramble my phone's ability to read the battery charge and subsquently it runs down extremely fast after the OS update.
    I simply turn the phone off, then on, let it charge to max, then run it down till it shuts off. Drop on charger till fully charged. Off/On (full not restart) and I'm good to go. No more massive battery drains. My phone is now on for 24hrs before dead with low usage. Some web, some email, a couple of quick calls, etc. I also updated to the Siedo 1350mhr battery.
    With v1.4, rumor is the battery life will increase again. Whoohoo!