Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This may be a dumb question but please understand I'm not very computer or phone technical person. I would like to use a laptop or netbook away from any wifi spots to access the internet. I could have a card that costs $50 to $60 per month with Verizon and have access to the internet. But I was wondering if I have the Pre Plus will it serve to supply the internet to the laptop via the Pre's hotspot and thus eliminating the need for the monthly charge. This sounds too good to be true, so I know either it's mot possible or it's going to cost some way. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    No, you will have to pay $40 to tether with Verizon, unless you want to hit with tethering charges.
    I am not sure yet about wether or not freetether or mytether will work on the verizon network? Verizon will charge for use of the mobile hotspot- i believe 9.99/mo
    Or you could switch to Sprint!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossm812 View Post
    I am not sure yet about wether or not freetether or mytether will work on the verizon network? Verizon will charge for use of the mobile hotspot- i believe 9.99/mo
    I thought it was $40/month...
    It is $40 a month.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    It probably is... IDK- its big red- probably 40! LOL. Sorry man- plus or not... Sprints the better deal!
    OP, if you need a free tethering solution, Sprint is your best bet. I don't know if our free tethering apps would work on Verizon. Also, Verizon is much more likely to charge you if they even suspect you're tethering. If they do find out, the cost would add up very quickly...
    i've heard it is $40/month and it would do the same as the card, and you said that was $40 also so might as well pay to have the wifi hot spot to at least eliminate the need for the card...plus it just looks cooler using your phone as a hot spot lol
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    i've heard it is $40/month and it would do the same as the card, and you said that was $40 also so might as well pay to have the wifi hot spot to at least eliminate the need for the card...plus it just looks cooler using your phone as a hot spot lol
    The benefit to the card is that it stays plugged in. When using the Pre to tether, it really drains the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The benefit to the card is that it stays plugged in. When using the Pre to tether, it really drains the battery.
    and say bye bye to using the phone and internet at the same time.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    if you're next to the laptop anyway why not connect a USB charger? Not the most elegant solution and it'll kill some laptop battery but it'd work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    if you're next to the laptop anyway why not connect a USB charger? Not the most elegant solution and it'll kill some laptop battery but it'd work.
    the only practical advantage of the HotSpot over an Air Card is the router function. and really, how many people are going to take advantage of that? it's a nice function, but a gimmicky function. and at 40 dollars a month, id rather spend a little bit more and just use a dedicated card.
    For those who never drive over the posted speed limit, Verizon is currently your "best deal" as long as you don't need to talk at the same time as you or others are using your phone for the Internet. If that's the case (just like the AT&T commercials say), yes you can talk and surf at the same time if you have two phones (on in this case, a phone and a WiFi card).

Now if you are like most people and willing to responsibly disobey the rules, the Sprint police are liable to be more lenient. You can think of Verizon similar to the MPs on an Army base (where 2 MPH over will get you a ticket).

Lastly, I guess we still have to see what AT&T might offer at what price, but tradition says they are likely to be somewhere around Verizon's pricing. Currently their network can't handle this well but they are planning on investing and improving their network.

My current advice is if you need everyday access and to talk at the same time, and want to "stay within the law", a Sprint aircard and a separate phone would be your cheapest legal solution. You could start with the unofficial free tethering solutions on Sprint and then add an aircard and become "legal" if you really need it.

EDIT: If you really need a WiFi hotspot and concurrent phone usage, both CDMA carriers also offer a separate MiFi device (subject to 3G bandwidth caps).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  15.    #15  
    Sprint would be good except they have terrible reception in our area. I'm assuming the hot spot is something that Palm incorporates into the Palm Plus.
    But what is the use if Verizion is going to charge for it? Will AT&T charge if they get the Palm Pre? They have better coverage in our area than Sprint but not as good as Verizon. Can I do a regular tether ( which I not sure how that works ) for about $15 per month? I just called Verizon and they did confrim the $40 per month. This just seems like it takes quite a bit away from the wow factor of the Pre having the hot spot. Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by deckboater View Post
    Sprint would be good except they have terrible reception in our area.
    that sucks.

I'm assuming the hot spot is something that Palm incorporates into the Palm Plus.
    correct. as of right now it's a Verizon only feature.

But what is the use if Verizion is going to charge for it?
    people will pay for all sorts of stuff that they may not need.

Will AT&T charge if they get the Palm Pre?
    AT&T isn't exactly any better on their pricing policies than Verizon is, so IF they get the feature, they will probably charge for it.

They have better coverage in our area than Sprint but not as good as Verizon.
    can i ask where you are? no biggie, just curious.

Can I do a regular tether ( which I not sure how that works ) for about $15 per month?
    yes. that is where you and only you can use the phone to surf the web on your computer. it is a little buggy at times and sometimes loses connection, but is overall nice. the HotSpot allows you and four other people to simultaneously use your phone as a hub to get 5 computers on the internet.

I just called Verizon and they did confrim the $40 per month. This just seems like it takes quite a bit away from the wow factor of the Pre having the hot spot. Am I missing something?
    youve got it right. like i said in here, its a really cool feature, but in my opinion, one that isn't even remotely necessary for most average Joe's. that's what Starbucks is for.
    Sprint would be good except they have terrible reception in our area. I'm assuming the hot spot is something that Palm incorporates into the Palm Plus.
    But what is the use if Verizion is going to charge for it? Will AT&T charge if they get the Palm Pre? They have better coverage in our area than Sprint but not as good as Verizon. Can I do a regular tether ( which I not sure how that works ) for about $15 per month? I just called Verizon and they did confrim the $40 per month. This just seems like it takes quite a bit away from the wow factor of the Pre having the hot spot. Am I missing something?
    No phone company is going to give you tethering for free. The only way to do it for free is use a homebrew tethering app. However, if your service provider finds out, they will charge you for the data used. This price is normally extremely high and, depending on your usage, can add up very quickly. Hundreds of dollars for a month is quite possible depending on the price per kb.

Sprint doesn't seem to care too much and is pretty laid back about the whole issue. Verizon and AT&T, however, want to get as much money as they can from you. They won't be so lenient.
    Sprint would be good except they have terrible reception in our area. ...
    This is the nature of the beast. Nobody is going to be perfect everywhere. People generally believe that Verizon has more "better" coverage than the others. If I was a mobile businessperson who relies on good coverage everywhere, I'd probably pay more and be on Verizon. I don't feel the same way about AT&T though (at least currently). There are clearly dead spots on Sprint in some affluent communities around Boston, but we live with them. Roaming fixes a lot of these but even Verizon has dead spots in those communities.
    Can I do a regular tether ( which I not sure how that works ) for about $15 per month?
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    yes. that is where you and only you can use the phone to surf the web on your computer. it is a little buggy at times and sometimes loses connection, but is overall nice. the HotSpot allows you and four other people to simultaneously use your phone as a hub to get 5 computers on the internet.
    Let me qualify chud311's answer for you a bit. (I and many others have hacked the Mobile HotSpot application onto our Sprint WebOS phones, so we have a good idea of the capabilities of how the app will work on Verizon. The Mobile HotSpot app (out of the box) does not support USB tethering. On the current Sprint Pre's, we've used a program named "MyTether" to do USB tethering, but as chud311 indicates, that program has become a bit of a "hack job" (my words) to keep it working on recent WebOS updates. In order to run it, it disables the camera and if you have ever used this version, it also breaks many new games (like Quake, DOOM, Need for Speed, and many others). It's difficult to uninstall (you have to feed it ipkg commands on the command line on either a rooted Pre or using the WebOS Quick Install command line feature.) You are better off not installing that program (at least at the moment) because in addition to currently breaking other programs, MyTether will likely break again when the WebOS 1.4 update comes out, and it takes at least a few days to a week for it's author to find a fix, his fixes have been hacks, and he does not communicate well about what to expect. (Sorry if I sound harsh to the author, but these are actually correct and factual statements. I wish I could be nicer but doing so would just cause you a lot more grief in the end.)

EDIT: There is a freetether app which people say fills in some of the "holes" that the Mobile HotSpot app does not cover (such as bluetooth tethering), but I think you currently have to issue a command line on the device to get USB tethering to work. (Can someone more knowledgeable about this please fill in the details here?)
    It's ok to call MyTether a hack job. I've been a donor and using it since it first came out and have seen it go fast downhill from there. FreeTether is much better (and free )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast