Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Let me qualify chud311's answer for you a bit. (I and many others have hacked the Mobile HotSpot application onto our Sprint WebOS phones, so we have a good idea of the capabilities of how the app will work on Verizon. The Mobile HotSpot app (out of the box) does not support USB tethering. On the current Sprint Pre's, we've used a program named "MyTether" to do USB tethering, but as chud311 indicates, that program has become a bit of a "hack job" (my words) to keep it working on recent WebOS updates. In order to run it, it disables the camera and if you have ever used this version, it also breaks many new games (like Quake, DOOM, Need for Speed, and many others). It's difficult to uninstall (you have to feed it ipkg commands on the command line on either a rooted Pre or using the WebOS Quick Install command line feature.) You are better off not installing that program (at least at the moment) because in addition to currently breaking other programs, MyTether will likely break again when the WebOS 1.4 update comes out, and it takes at least a few days to a week for it's author to find a fix, his fixes have been hacks, and he does not communicate well about what to expect. (Sorry if I sound harsh to the author, but these are actually correct and factual statements. I wish I could be nicer but doing so would just cause you a lot more grief in the end.)
    i wasn't talking about our dirty little homebrew secret. he was asking about the tethering option that Verizon offers where you can use your phone as a modem either via usb or Bluetooth (if the phone allows.) it's a 15 or 30 dollar a month charge depending on your plan (at least it was 6 months ago.)
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i wasn't talking about our dirty little homebrew secret. he was asking about the tethering option that Verizon offers where you can use your phone as a modem either via usb or Bluetooth (if the phone allows.) it's a 15 or 30 dollar a month charge depending on your plan (at least it was 6 months ago.)
    I'll bet that Verizon only allows use of Mobile Hotspot for tethering with the Pre. Free homebrew tethering should work also, but I'm sure Verizon is going to be watching accounts closely...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'll bet that Verizon only allows use of Mobile Hotspot for tethering with the Pre. Free homebrew tethering should work also, but I'm sure Verizon is going to be watching accounts closely...
    it's two different services.

one is like a modem and the other is like a wireless router.

and yeah, i wouldnt risk trying to dupe Verizon on this. they caught on to us when we were only using the internet on our dumbphones. no way they would let smartphone amounts of data slip through the cracks.
    I know that it's $40 to activate the Mobile Hotspot feature. But if I were on the road for a couple of months, could I turn it on for Feb/Mar, pay the $40 each month, and then turn it off after that?

I know this wouldn't work on the MiFi option, but that's because you're getting the hardware for cheap and signing a 2-year contract. In the case of this Mobile Hotspot, you have the hardware already. It's more of an extra feature (like visual voicemail).

So can that be done?
    yes.
    just as a heads up and i don't know if this applies to us sprint users but in preware the Mobile Hotspot App. for Palm Pre Plus (which i believe is the same Mobile Hotspot App. everyone has been downloading and using) but it say this " Note: This application requires a moblie hotspot data feature (available from your carrier for a monthly fee) that is separate from your smartphone data feature. While Palm mobile hotspot is active, on-device applications will continue to work and any data sent or received will count against your mobile hotspot data deature allowance."............ now i know sprint doesn't have a mobile hotspot data package (or at least they don't offer it) but that right there tells me with the hotspot app. they have a fairly easy way to track it's use. Just thought i'd let yall know.
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    just as a heads up and i don't know if this applies to us sprint users but in preware the Mobile Hotspot App. for Palm Pre Plus (which i believe is the same Mobile Hotspot App. everyone has been downloading and using) but it say this " Note: This application requires a moblie hotspot data feature (available from your carrier for a monthly fee) that is separate from your smartphone data feature. While Palm mobile hotspot is active, on-device applications will continue to work and any data sent or received will count against your mobile hotspot data deature allowance."............ now i know sprint doesn't have a mobile hotspot data package (or at least they don't offer it) but that right there tells me with the hotspot app. they have a fairly easy way to track it's use. Just thought i'd let yall know.
    Knowing Verizon, they probably built in some sort of tracking system into Mobile Hot Spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Knowing Verizon, they probably built in some sort of tracking system into Mobile Hot Spot.
    yea most likely the way that is said it's a def. they have some "phone-home" part of the app. which leans to the next question - Does Sprint also use this "phone-home" part of the app. I mean no doubt they know users are playing with the "verizon only" app. and making it work for sprint.
    Just confirmed chud311's answer to my question: On Verizon, Mobile Hotspot ($40/mo) can be turned on and off like any calling feature. Thanks for the help!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12