1.    #1  
    I only have the Pre for a few days and already sold my iPhone but one thing keeps me unhappy. I get a really lousy standby time and I noticed the phone responds to pings even if locked for minutes. But then sometimes it does suspend. I would really like to know what the timeout is and if services like IM keep it alive longer/forever?

I've also read the wifi radio takes considerably less energy than 3G. The iphone had the option to turn off 3G and just use EDGE and empirically this was indeed less expensive. Any other _real_ standby time improving tips welcome.
    if your just using the wifi and don't want to recieve any texts, or calls. You can turn on Airplane Mode then go back and turn on Wifi. Other then that you can go through and change how long it takes the phone to go to sleep.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    To answer the questions, yes the wi-fi should sleep after about a minute after the phone sleeps. So it probably is IM keeping it awake. IM is a known battery drain.

Wi-fi does use a lot less energy than 3G *if* you are connected to a network. If it's hunting around all the time, another battery drain.

You can change from 3G to 2G only in the phone applications preferences. Continuously switching in a poor signal area also dains the battery.
    If you are into Homebrew apps, there are plenty which give you an enable/disable toggle for data, which would then force your unit to use WiFi instead of 3G/Edge/GPRS.

I know it did not work in earlier webOS version, but think the toggle now works under 1.3.5.2 ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    To answer the questions, yes the wi-fi should sleep after about a minute after the phone sleeps.
    I seem to remember that one of the 'features' of 1.3.5 onwards was that WiFi would stay on all the time, even when the screen was off, but I might be wrong
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Wifi stays on all the time if you don't have any other data connection.
    I also noticed that switching from 3G to 2G improves battery life and is still enough for messaging and mailing.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I seem to remember that one of the 'features' of 1.3.5 onwards was that WiFi would stay on all the time, even when the screen was off, but I might be wrong
    Yes, but the wi-fi chipset goes into sleep mode after about a minute and won't respond to pings, unless something like IM is keeping it awake.