1.    #1  
    An interesting paragraph in MacWorld's review of the Pre Plus:
    I was able to connect five devices with no problems. And while connected to the Mobile Hotspot, I could still receive phone calls and texts without interruption. If one of your devices goes idle (like another smartphone, for example), the Mobile Hotspot will disconnect it from the network. Once you activate it, however, it reconnects instantly. The range is pretty decent, too. As long as your devices are in the same room, they'll stay connected.[Emphasis added.]
    If true, that part in bold would seem incredibly important. Is Verizon going to start enabling simultaneous voice and data in general? Is it possible to enable it for specific apps only? Is this already a Verizon advantage that I'm simply not aware of (if so, then the AT&T commercials are incorrect)? Or is MacWorld simply wrong here?

Enquiring minds want to know...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think it only means that you can still get phone calls and text... the data stream would stop while the phone call was taking place then reconnect after the call ends.

This is important because some phones will not allow incoming calls or texts while data is being used at all. I can't count how many times I would close Opera Mini on my old phone to suddenly be hit with like 3 or 4 voice mail notifications from calls that had been sent straight to VM as if my phone were off.

On CDMA networks, you cannot receive data and voice at the same time.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I think it only means that you can still get phone calls and text... the data stream would stop while the phone call was taking place then reconnect after the call ends.

This is important because some phones will not allow incoming calls or texts while data is being used at all. I can't count how many times I would close Opera Mini on my old phone to suddenly be hit with like 3 or 4 voice mail notifications from calls that had been sent straight to VM as if my phone were off.

On CDMA networks, you cannot receive data and voice at the same time.
    Actually, the current revision of CDMA is technically capable of simultaneous voice and data*. It's just not been utilized by Sprint or Verizon to date. And the way that MacWorld worded this, i.e., "without interruption" is at best misleading.

*I believe. It's all very esoteric to me, and I'd welcome anyone who can clarify the point.
    Last edited by wynand32; 01/23/2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    That would seriously hurt AT&T's add campaign atm. I would love to see it happen, as it means Sprint would probably do it too.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    The key wording is "and while connected to the mobile hotspot.", As in another CDMA device connected to the device over its own wifi connection can still send and receive calls and text messages. It's not unique to this, any wifi connection in addition to the mobile network connection will allow the device to continue using the CDMA network for phone/text use.

The device in hotspot mode won't be able to make calls/receive texts without interrupting data for anyone connected to it. It's just not supported by CDMA networks yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    And while connected to the Mobile Hotspot, I could still receive phone calls and texts without interruption. ... Is Verizon going to start enabling simultaneous voice and data in general?
    I think the original wording may be misleading. Last I knew, the current implementation of CDMA by both Sprint and Verizon meant that when connected via 1xRTT, voice calls would go to VM and SMS would be delayed while you remained connected. However, when connected via EVDO, the data would suspend and allow voice calls and texts to continue. When the voice / text is done, the EVDO data transfers resume. This explains why some people report they can get calls, and some don't. It depends on if connected via EVDO or not.

If you interpret the original bold text above literally, it means the calls and texts would continue without interruption (as opposed to the data continuing without interruption). This is the way EVDO connections already work on Sprint and Verizon.

Perhaps the article meant to say the data would continue, but that is not what it claims. If in fact the Verizon Hot Spot does allow concurrent voice and text, that would indeed be significant. However, if I were to guess, I suspect that is not device dependent but instead based on the configuration or equipment in the carrier's infrastructure.
    CDMA phones always did this.

the data connection gets paused when a phone call comes in. texts can always come in and go out since they operate on an entirely different spectrum.

no news here.

don't get excited.