Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
  1. ptb127's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
       #1  
    I am currently an iPhone 3GS user on AT&T and I am sick of the lack of 3G in my area. I am looking into potentially the Palm Pre+ on Verizon as they do have 3G in my area. I had a Moto Droid for 2 weeks but I didn't really like it actually. Especially only 5 home screens and no really way to get to each one quickly. I have heard that WebOS has a bright future and that is why I am inquiring about the OS and app store. I know it's not nearly as robust as the iPhone but I am just trying to gather info before I make a decision.

    Looking forward to getting so pro opinions and looking for a wealth of info so I can make as informed decision as possible.

    Is there anyway to view the entire app catalog online?
  2. #2  
    I think you are making a good decision. You can check out the application catalog here:

    Appetite**|**Stuff Your Palm
  3. #3  
    It's different than an iphone. Iphone has had yrs for refinement. Pre is still young and quite immature & raw in that respect. UI smoothness and speed is not at the level of the iphone. Maybe in the future it will be but not currently. It's a different experience. Also, remember that you're going from a GSM network to a CDMA network and there are differences in usability. HW is the biggest complaint with the Pre. Not sure how much better it will be on VZ compared to the Sprint models.

    Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre and multi-tasking is just the best. I'd sure miss it if I changed phones. Iphones are great for what they are but AT&T is crap and their plans & prices are ridiculous.

    Just my 2c.

    Happy Pre owner since launch day
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  4. #4  
    Make sure you give it a good test while in the store before you buy though. If its still a flimsy feel, I'd pass even if its packed with some extra features. From my standpoint, a cellphone should last at least the whole 2 years of the contract without ridiculous multiple exchanges.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ptb127 View Post
    I am currently an iPhone 3GS user on AT&T and I am sick of the lack of 3G in my area. I am looking into potentially the Palm Pre+ on Verizon as they do have 3G in my area. I had a Moto Droid for 2 weeks but I didn't really like it actually. Especially only 5 home screens and no really way to get to each one quickly. I have heard that WebOS has a bright future and that is why I am inquiring about the OS and app store. I know it's not nearly as robust as the iPhone but I am just trying to gather info before I make a decision.

    Looking forward to getting so pro opinions and looking for a wealth of info so I can make as informed decision as possible.

    Is there anyway to view the entire app catalog online?
    Yes there is. Palm has a feed that lets anyone create a viewing portal for all the apps on the app catalog, and the web online apps (basically unreviewed apps) and beta apps.

    You can go to project appetite, which was linked above, or you can view Precentral's App portal which gives you access to all of the app catalog apps and the homebrew apps. You can check it out here: http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery/

    In general the App Catalog is no where near as full as Apple's App Store. However, it is growing pretty fast, at about 100 per week. It is expected to speed up after the Pre+ lands on Verizon and more games should be on the way after March.

    Another cool thing that you can do with the Pre at precentral is request apps. I requested an app for making quick alarms for taking naps, a nap timer if you will. One of the devs on these forums, posted back that he is working on one, and about a month later, what do you know? there is a full fledge nap timer app called Power Nap in the App Catalog.

    I love my Pre and I am glad I made the move to it!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6. #6  
    Oh and welcome to the Precentral Forums. Lots of nice people here.

    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7. #7  
    this phone is simply the best if you want to customize your phone. but the only reason why is because of the awesome dev population around here !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    this phone is simply the best if you want to customize your phone. but the only reason why is because of the awesome dev population around here !!!!
    I think I would say android is far more customizable. But WebOS is a wonderful blend between Apple Control and Google Freedom.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  9. #9  
    I switched from an iPhone 2G. You're going to enjoy multitasking very very much. There is no better device in that regard. Especially the pre+. Try running pandora and a video game while surfing the net on the iPhone smoothly even with installing backgrounder. It'll be eyes open how easy it is on the Pre. Enjoy.
  10. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #10  
    definitely wait until next week. IF iPhone OS 4.0 goes out then you're going to want to see how things compare before making a jump.
  11. #11  
    I am an Palm fanatic, so dont get it twisted. But you would be a sucker if you didnt wait to see what Apple announces the 27th before you make your decision. A Verizon iPhone that multitasks is a serious option for you if that turns out to be true!

    However, I think once Palm gets on Verizon, the user base for webOS will grow and thrust webOS into the top 3 smartphone platforms.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I am an Palm fanatic, so dont get it twisted. But you would be a sucker if you didnt wait to see what Apple announces the 27th before you make your decision. A Verizon iPhone that multitasks is a serious option for you if that turns out to be true!

    However, I think once Palm gets on Verizon, the user base for webOS will grow and thrust webOS into the top 3 smartphone platforms.
    +1

    However, I think it will be hard to add multi-tasking to the iPhone. I am guessing that they will do something close to what android and WinMo have done, which IMO, is pretty crappy, especially if you are trying to play games.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    +1

    However, I think it will be hard to add multi-tasking to the iPhone. I am guessing that they will do something close to what android and WinMo have done, which IMO, is pretty crappy, especially if you are trying to play games.
    ive changed everything i would want to change and thats pretty darn customizable if you ask me lol i mean how easy is it to change the carrier string and other stuff at the top of the android phone anyways ???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ive changed everything i would want to change and thats pretty darn customizable if you ask me lol i mean how easy is it to change the carrier string and other stuff at the top of the android phone anyways ???
    care to show a screen shot or two of your pre?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  15. #15  
    heres a few, the bottom is my current screen .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16. #16  
    @ ptb127 Since as you stated. "I am currently an iPhone 3GS user on AT&T and I am sick of the lack of 3G in my area." I would recommend that you first find a carrier in you area who has the best coverage for the money. Then get a Pre from that carrier (just kidding), then find the best smartphone for you on that network. I love my Pre, no hardware problems (knock on wood) since I got it in September. I bought mine after much research and then discovering this community. which has made this the best phone experience ever for me. I never even played with it in the store. It truly takes a day or two to get a full appreciation of the Pre.
  17. #17  
    Once you start using gestures, you will never go back
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  18. rashad1's Avatar
    Posts
    520 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    #18  
    I was also an iPhone user who left the phone because of at&t. I've had every iPhone since 2007 and its definitely difficult to leave that phone. However the Pre is an excellent choice for someone switching over from the iPhone because they are somewhat similar. You will miss some things from the iPhone, especially if you were a jailbreaker) But if you're getting a Pre I would get sprint because you will save a ton of money, especially if you get the Sprint Employee Refferal Program. They offer discounted plans, you can just google Sprint "EPRP" to find out more. Plus you can roam on Verizon anywhere you don't have enough Sprint service.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    @ ptb127 Since as you stated. "I am currently an iPhone 3GS user on AT&T and I am sick of the lack of 3G in my area." I would recommend that you first find a carrier in you area who has the best coverage for the money. Then get a Pre from that carrier (just kidding), then find the best smartphone for you on that network. I love my Pre, no hardware problems (knock on wood) since I got it in September. I bought mine after much research and then discovering this community. which has made this the best phone experience ever for me. I never even played with it in the store. It truly takes a day or two to get a full appreciation of the Pre.
    hey vza33 may i get a copy of that wallpaper you have there ??? do you mind??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  20. ptb127's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    definitely wait until next week. IF iPhone OS 4.0 goes out then you're going to want to see how things compare before making a jump.
    Definitely will. I heard some rumors of what was going to be in the OS and if they are true it may tilt the scale. I don't know though. I dislike at&t's lack of 3G here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions