Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ptb127 View Post
    Definitely will. I heard some rumors of what was going to be in the OS and if they are true it may tilt the scale. I don't know though. I dislike at&t's lack of 3G here.
    I'm Apple Mac addict several years and I had iPhones from 1st generation, my last phone was iPhone 3Gs but when I saw Pre and how it does work I sold my iPhone and get Palm Pre. I love it and I not care iPhone's 100.000 apps. I have everything on Palm Pre and I also looking next month's upgrade 1.4 which will be major one for Pre users.

If you know anything Mac OS X then you will know how Mac OS does multitasking and it does very well but on iPhone this is will be very different. Pre has it in core thats how WebOS build.

There is no for me to go back iPhone.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    The Pre have a young OS, so there are some growing pains associated with WebOS (sluggish at times, hardware issues, etc), many of which palm have been working on and been very quick to address. Hopefully by 2.0, we'll see a huge improvement in speed, my main complaint and frustration.

With that said, WebOS is the best mobile operating system out. I can't really point out any single feature that I like most, although many will say multitasking, multitasking. What really set WebOS apart is how all those great features (multitasking, smart notifications, synergy, gestures, Over the air updates (OTA), etc) work together, how sample and clean it is, and simple it is to access your most use features. I can't simply explain it you and every review I've seen fail to capture the essence of WebOS. WebOS have to be experience to truly be appreciated.

Missing features? We got a patch for that, thanks to our Homebrew community.

With that said, take the Pre+ for a test drive. Make sure you have Preware installed.
    Last edited by olidie; 01/23/2010 at 06:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I am an Palm fanatic, so dont get it twisted. But you would be a sucker if you didnt wait to see what Apple announces the 27th before you make your decision. A Verizon iPhone that multitasks is a serious option for you if that turns out to be true!

However, I think once Palm gets on Verizon, the user base for webOS will grow and thrust webOS into the top 3 smartphone platforms.
    The announcement on the 27th is for the Tablet, a few analysts think there will be a new iPhone announced but Apple has never announced an iPhone this early in the year and they aren't going to want to take any thunder away from their tablet by announcing an iPhone on Verizon.
    @Shadavis08 lol it's funny that you asked that because I was about to ask you for a copy of that pic with the two planets as it would be perfect with the space scene I am currently using. So sure Only thing is I won't have access to a computer again till Monday so if you PM me your email I'll send it to you or I can just post it on Monday.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    What's Preware? What do you mean by "smart notifications"?

Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post
    The Pre have a young OS, so there are some growing pains associated with WebOS (sluggish at times, hardware issues, etc), many of which palm have been working on and been very quick to address. Hopefully by 2.0, we'll see a huge improvement in speed, my main complaint and frustration.

With that said, WebOS is the best mobile operating system out. I can't really point out any single feature that I like most, although many will say multitasking, multitasking. What really set WebOS apart is how all those great features (multitasking, smart notifications, synergy, gestures, Over the air updates (OTA), etc) work together, how sample and clean it is, and simple it is to access your most use features. I can't simply explain it you and every review I've seen fail to capture the essence of WebOS. WebOS have to be experience to truly be appreciated.

Missing features? We got a patch for that, thanks to our Homebrew community.

With that said, take the Pre+ for a test drive. Make sure you have Preware installed.
    Preware is a homebrew based software installer that has many apps, themes, and patches not available through palm. If you haven't gathered, patches are a huge part of this system.

Smart notifications is a system where things pop up on the bottom of the screen telling you stuff.
    There is an engadget article about outdated OS features, and WebOS is highlighted as a great fix for many issues...the smart notifications is one of them. (They explain better than me)
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    thanks dfroelich, couldn't have said it better.
    What do you mean by "smart notifications"?
    Someone already explained the "smart notifications", but im a visual kinda guy, so i figured id give ya some visual aids. While these pics may give you a better understanding, its no substitute for seeing it and using it in person.

okay, lets say your phone is in your pocket and you get an email. you pull your phone out and unlock it. this is what you'll see.

From this screen you have three choices. (1.) you can open the email by tapping it, which opens the email app. (2.) if you want to check the email, but not right now, you can tap anywhere on the screen, and a small icon will show at the bottom right of the screen, allowing you to do whatever you want to do without getting rid of the notification or the notification getting in your way.

(3.) You can dismiss the notification by swiping the notification left or right. This doesnt delete the email, but completely dismisses the notification. The screen cap below shows the notification half way swiped, once its gone, the screen re-sizes back to fit the entire screen.

Here are some more pics of the same events from above, except with a text msg notification added, and they are shown while using an app (Google Maps). If you notice, the app automatically re-sizes to allow you to continue to use your app without the notification getting in your way. The re-sizing works with the majority of the apps, but it doesnt work with the new 3d games, and probably wont work with any of the apps built with the PDK architecture.

I'd personally rather have a 3GS over the Pre, but if you're seriously considering switching over, wait and see what Apple has up their sleeves with iPhone OS 4.0. Next Wednesday (1/27) they're having a conference where it's rumored that they'll be announcing their new tablet and also preview iPhone OS 4.0.
    Don't care, just getting the last reply and associated username off the front page to fix the tables.
    I am currently an iPhone 3GS user on AT&T and I am sick of the lack of 3G in my area. I am looking into potentially the Palm Pre+ on Verizon as they do have 3G in my area. I had a Moto Droid for 2 weeks but I didn't really like it actually. Especially only 5 home screens and no really way to get to each one quickly. I have heard that WebOS has a bright future and that is why I am inquiring about the OS and app store. I know it's not nearly as robust as the iPhone but I am just trying to gather info before I make a decision.

Looking forward to getting so pro opinions and looking for a wealth of info so I can make as informed decision as possible.

Is there anyway to view the entire app catalog online?
    I am making the switch tomorrow pretty much as soon as I wake up on Monday, I'm going to try to buy one immediately. It's an awesome OS and its on Verizon. Or Sprint who is the #2 carrier as far as Coverage goes and #1 on Value. I am also a 3GS user and I would say to make the jump. Been with iPhone since 2007 and I can easily say Web OS is one of the most advanced smartphone platforms in my opinion. I would read all the reviews if you could they're on the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    definitely wait until next week. IF iPhone OS 4.0 goes out then you're going to want to see how things compare before making a jump.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaAhAhAhRomaRoMaMaGaGaOoLaLaWantYourBadRomance View Post
    I'd personally rather have a 3GS over the Pre, but if you're seriously considering switching over, wait and see what Apple has up their sleeves with iPhone OS 4.0. Next Wednesday (1/27) they're having a conference where it's rumored that they'll be announcing their new tablet and also preview iPhone OS 4.0.
    iPhone 4.0 won't fix his coverage issues unless it is on hardware going to Sprint or Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Once you start using gestures, you will never go back

Second that for sure.

I tried using my Mom's iPhone the other day and I was LOST. I kept trying to move back, do swipes, flick out, etc. I can't go back to any other phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    However, I think once Palm gets on Verizon, the user base for webOS will grow and thrust webOS into the top 3 smartphone platforms.

Palm has no shot of ever being in the top 3. They can never overtake RIM, Apple, and Google. I have doubts they will ever overtake Nokia and Microsoft too. But that doesn't mean they cant be successful.

The amazing thing is Palm had the number 1 spot locked up for years. Stagnation has caused them into the position the are in today.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Palm has no shot of ever being in the top 3. They can never overtake RIM, Apple, and Google. I have doubts they will ever overtake Nokia and Microsoft too. But that doesn't mean they cant be successful.

The amazing thing is Palm had the number 1 spot locked up for years. Stagnation has caused them into the position the are in today.
    Your statement contradicts itself.
    Wait until around Q3 of this year when AT&T's contract with Apple is supposed to expire, then you can have the best of both worlds with an iPhone 4G on Verizon.

P.S. I am a Sprint Pre owner who defected from the AT&T with an iPhone 3G, and I have never looked back since. The Pre and webOS are an all around good combination of many very good things seen on other phones.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Yea this is more about 3G coverage (lack thereof) then phone issues. The iPhone is an amazing device but use the internet a lot (most of my day actually) so why not have a phone that's based completely on the web? Anyway, Sprint is really shotty here too as they are taking towers out of service rather then putting them up but Verizon is pretty awesome around these parts.

Thank you for all your help with the notification system! The photos really do a good job for me as I am more a visual learner myself. Is there any LED light (like the Droid and Blackberries have)? Also, what do text messages look like? Threaded with color bubbles?

FWIW, I am waiting till at least Wednesday (1/27) to decide what to do so at least I have all the information to make a decision. There are some apps I use frequently on the iPhone and I want to see if there is an equivalent version for webOS. I'll post more about that in the proper forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    I am making the switch tomorrow pretty much as soon as I wake up on Monday, I'm going to try to buy one immediately. It's an awesome OS and its on Verizon. Or Sprint who is the #2 carrier as far as Coverage goes and #1 on Value. I am also a 3GS user and I would say to make the jump. Been with iPhone since 2007 and I can easily say Web OS is one of the most advanced smartphone platforms in my opinion. I would read all the reviews if you could they're on the main page.

iPhone 4.0 won't fix his coverage issues unless it is on hardware going to Sprint or Verizon.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    ...Or Sprint who is the #2 carrier as far as Coverage goes and #1 on Value....
    false and false, at&t, and t-mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    false and false, at&t, and t-mobile
    at&t sucks and so does Teen mobile..
  20. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Yea this is more about 3G coverage (lack thereof) then phone issues. The iPhone is an amazing device but use the internet a lot (most of my day actually) so why not have a phone that's based completely on the web? Anyway, Sprint is really shotty here too as they are taking towers out of service rather then putting them up but Verizon is pretty awesome around these parts.

Thank you for all your help with the notification system! The photos really do a good job for me as I am more a visual learner myself. Is there any LED light (like the Droid and Blackberries have)? Also, what do text messages look like? Threaded with color bubbles?

FWIW, I am waiting till at least Wednesday (1/27) to decide what to do so at least I have all the information to make a decision. There are some apps I use frequently on the iPhone and I want to see if there is an equivalent version for webOS. I'll post more about that in the proper forum.
    I would search on You Tube for Palm Pre videos. There are a ton of them and they cover all the webOS features. Check out Sprints support page for the Pre also as there are "how to" videos there.

wkj
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast