Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I just wanted to see if my screen blotches had anything to do with these recent issues I've been having with the screen.

1) During use of the phone, the screen just randomly gets dim and then bright.. at first I thought maybe its because sometimes when I'm playing a game I'm not touching the screen, but this even happens for touch games like paratrooper... not sure what the issue is but does anyone else experience this? Is it normal?

2) The pin lock screen, sometimes it just doesn't register when I push a number.. It is super annoying because say when I am trying to get into the phone to his dismiss on an alarm and it takes forever for the lock screen to register me inputting the right numbers for the pin.

Is it just me? if so I think it might be my screen dying...
    1) This is because the screen brightness automatically adjusts to available light around it, and is very sensitive.

2) Sorry, I don't use the pin lock.

Have you tried running the on-device quick diagnostics and interactive diagnostics?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    1) This is because the screen brightness automatically adjusts to available light around it, and is very sensitive.

2) Sorry, I don't use the pin lock.

Have you tried running the on-device quick diagnostics and interactive diagnostics?
    Yup, the only thing the phone didnt do was pinch OUT, the pinch IN worked just fine. It passed the test even though I couldnt pinch out at all. Not sure if thats hardware or software though since the pinch IN worked.
    Hmmm...I think I'd go talk to the repair techs...sounds like there may be an issue with the screen registering some touches. Even though it passed the diagnostics, that still sounds like an issue to me.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Hmmm...I think I'd go talk to the repair techs...sounds like there may be an issue with the screen registering some touches. Even though it passed the diagnostics, that still sounds like an issue to me.
    To be honest after the Sprint techs told me my screen blotches are not anything worthy of a warranty replacement, I'm just going to use my Pre until it dies (they told me until it just kraps out I am SOL). If that doesn't happen before the warranty is up and no new Palm device is announced I'll go to another Sprint store and try my luck, but apart from that I just don't want to waste another hour or two of my life to be told I am a blind *****.

Thanks a lot for your help though, the light issue makes a lot of sense now that you informed me about the sensor but I agree with you I think my touch screen has some sort of issue.. I'll just wait it out and see what happens. Thanks again
    I am sorry you got such crappy techs. The ones where I go are amazing. They will go above and beyond to try to fix/solve issues. I wish I could share them with the folks who get the bad ones.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I am sorry you got such crappy techs. The ones where I go are amazing. They will go above and beyond to try to fix/solve issues. I wish I could share them with the folks who get the bad ones.
    One of the techs at the Sprint store near me told me my device was having screen and overheating issues because I'm not running WebOS... he didn't mean I'm not running the latest version (which I was) simply that I didn't have WebOS on the phone.

His words: "Ya you need to load the WebOS on there"

I just walked out
    Yeah, I read about that on another of your posts and about died laughing...not at you, but at the ***** tech. I know it's a pain to spend time at a repair center, but I really do recommend trying a different one at some point, when you feel like blowing part of a day on it.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Yeah, I read about that on another of your posts and about died laughing...not at you, but at the ***** tech. I know it's a pain to spend time at a repair center, but I really do recommend trying a different one at some point, when you feel like blowing part of a day on it.
    I will probably in a month or two, the only sad thing is these issues I have with the phone actually make me use it less, which in turn make me less annoyed. Right before June if Palm is going to announce the replacement for the Pre I'll forget about trying to get a warranty replacement and just use my upgrade to get the new device.. if we have to hold off until June 2011 then I'll have to try to get this replaced since after the warranty is up I'll be screwed.

I'm not as upset at Sprint about these issues as I am with Palm. Even after I called them and explained what was happening with Sprint the best they could offer was me pay $30 out of my pocket to fix a defective device.. I asked why I should have to pay when I was still under warranty and they didn't have any answer for me (I have a feeling the person I was talking to was in some call center in India).

I've owned 3 Treos and a Centro before this Pre.. all with solid build and 0 issues. I treo I had before I got my centro used and abused and worked perfectly, hell I even have an old Tungsten PDA from like 2003 that works flawlessly and is used by me every day. I don't know where they went wrong on the Pre, even non-defective devices I've used just feel cheap in comparison to previous Palm devices.