Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am looking to set up the Pre to use as a modem (using BT) for a Vista 64bit laptop, and have read several threads about MyTether and FreeTether. I've seen some negatives regarding MyTether, and, being the novice I am, would appreciate help from someone about which way to go.
    i am using freetether now, and feel its better
    i would like to know too
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Mobile hotspot is out FYI, I paid for Mytether and it's easier to use then freetether and has more features but I regret paying $15.
    now that moblie hotspot and freetether are out thats the way to go .... when i get home from work i'm going to uninstall everything from Mytether on my phone and get freetether up and running
    from another thread, works great and easy to do. And doesnt disable any camera or 3d gaming
    wont let me post links so here is the thread, PreCentral Forums > webOS Software and Chat > web OS Development > webOS Patches > Mobile Hot Spot For Sprint post 2 has link to files

Quote Originally Posted by figus View Post
    This is what I did

Install all 3 packages..., and activate IP Forwarding on freeTether (I have to do this every reboot)
    Open Mobile HotSpot, set your SSID, Encryption and Key, and turn it on

you can close everything, MHS works in the background

some guy said that his Telcel Pre tethered just with mobile hotspot... so.. maybe you can try only with that at first.... (I use Sprint pre and I have to use both)
    Last edited by kgbcapthowdy; 01/23/2010 at 02:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I have never tried mytether, but mobile hotspot + freetether works great and was a breeze to get working. I used WebOS QI to install the necessary ipks and then just followed the instructions I found in the thread linked from the front page article. I love the pre even more now.
    freeTether Here I love it and my friends love it when we are at the bar after work
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm sorry but where can I find freetether? I've only ever seen mytether(.net).
    freeTether + Mobile Hot Spot on my Sprint Pre... WORKS GREAT!!! Plus, I don't have to patch/unpatch my phone to use it (or worry about breaking my wi-fi after a webOS update).
    PreCentral Forums > webOS Software and Chat > web OS Development > webOS Patches > Mobile Hot Spot For Sprint post 2 has all files needed
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    I'm sorry but where can I find freetether? I've only ever seen mytether(.net).
    try reading the story on the Home page http://www.precentral.net/
    my question is what does freeTether NOT have, or maybe what does mobile hot spot have that freeTether does not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    my question is what does freeTether NOT have, or maybe what does mobile hot spot have that freeTether does not?
    Freetether just "helps" Mobile hot spot. MHS does the actual tethering.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  15.    #15  
    I'll give it a shot and post here with my results.
    Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Freetether just "helps" Mobile hot spot. MHS does the actual tethering.
    Right, but I'm sure that is not the intent of FreeTether (to just be a helper app). I guess that is what I was looking for...
    You can USB and BT tether with freetether alone I believe (I have only done USB as my laptop doesn't have a BT card), but if you want to WiFi tether - and lets be honest, that's what we all want to do - you have to use MHS as well as freeTether.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    You can USB and BT tether with freetether alone I believe (I have only done USB as my laptop doesn't have a BT card), but if you want to WiFi tether - and lets be honest, that's what we all want to do - you have to use MHS as well as freeTether.
    How do you usb tether using freetether? do we need to install usbnet somehow?
    Does anyone know if you have to do anything special to uninstall MyTether, or can you just delete like any other app?

I have searched and can't find an answer, and since MyTether had to be installed by command line, I was thinking that it modified some files that need to be set back.
    If you had only the free version of MyTether, then a simple delete from the launcher should be sufficient.

If you had the "Donor" version, there is quite a bit left over that has to be removed via command line.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast