Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    I am looking to set up the Pre to use as a modem (using BT) for a Vista 64bit laptop, and have read several threads about MyTether and FreeTether. I've seen some negatives regarding MyTether, and, being the novice I am, would appreciate help from someone about which way to go.
    I first started out using the old fashion BT tether method before aonic came out with mytether. Once i got mytether I really enjoyed the simplicity of the app, but the quality of the free version started to do a downward spiral.

Ever since around the 1.3 firmware (possibly before), anytime my phone lost the data connection, i would need to turn off mytether and cycle my phone's radio to get a data connection back and then turn mytether back on.

It also became apparent that i had to cycle my phone's radio every time i wanted to use mytether since there was a good chance that if i just turn it on, i would not have internet access via my netbook.

Also the limitation of mytether not letting some apps such as the web browser have access to the internet while mytether was enabled was annoying.

Now that I've switched over to freetether I've only have to turn it on anytime i reboot my phone and i don't have to mess with it afterwards (Just set it and forget it ). Freetether just works and i do not need to micromanage the app like i needed to do with mytether.

Props still to Aonic for creating the first tether program, but the lack of bug fixes to the free version made me actively look for an alternative.
    Last edited by victorkruger; 01/28/2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar Hammer!!
    I want to remove the donor version of mytether also - can someone post instructions for a dummy on how to remove it entirely?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanew View Post
    I want to remove the donor version of mytether also - can someone post instructions for a dummy on how to remove it entirely?
    thanks

I am on the same boat, want to get rid of mytether but am a newb and don't really know how to. If I knew it was going to be so taxing to uninstall this app I would have never added it to my phone.

Would just running webos doctor remove all of the patching this app has done?
    Last edited by hoo.haaa; 02/19/2010 at 12:12 PM.
    I haven't tried freetether, but mytether has been nothing but trouble for me. The first day I had it my Pre went belly up and I had to take my phone to the doctor. Oh, and it's only worked for me once. No matter what advice I take from the mytether website forum it never works. Worst $15 I've ever spent for my Pre.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Installed Freetether with the MHS today and it works within minutes and flawlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer007 View Post
    Installed Freetether with the MHS today and it works within minutes and flawlessly.
    Same here. Never really use it, but love having it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer007 View Post
    Same, just started doing it fifteen minutes ago and I'm typing this on my tethered laptop right now.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    As far as I know, you'll need MyTether on Verizon. I tried FreeTether and it didn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    As far as I know, you'll need MyTether on Verizon. I tried FreeTether and it didn't work.
    Is this so? I was about to dump My Tether and try Free Tether - on Verizon.
    Any walkthroughs or guides on how to remove all the mytether components from a pre?
    MyTether is the single worst thing that you can do to your phone.
    I like mytether a lot, but freetether is my choice because.

1. It's free.
    2. It's a little easier to install. (Don't need to patch anything or install the SDK)
    3. It seems to be a lot quicker!
    I installed the freetether and mobile hotspot and followed the instructions to make sure IP forwarding and NAT were enabled in freetether and then turned on MHS my computer finds the signal from the MHS fine but when I try to connect get a warning from Sprint on my phone that it's not allowed and the web pages on my computer won't load.What did I do wrong??
    I have only tried MyTether, and it works for me. The version I have you have to patch for WiFi to work, but I don't mind, as long as I can tether, I will do what I have to. It's a solid working app and I have had no problems. I tend to stick with what works.

I attempted to install Freetether after my last Flashing of WebOS, but I ran into install issues, and went back with MyTether, as it's easy to install and quick for me.
    Okay is there a way I can reset my phone to stock. I want to remove all the crap mytether left behind and wouldn't mind just flashing the phone to original specifications. Also I ran webos doctor for 1.3.5.1 but that maintained all my apps including mytether. I am really annoyed I had to add that patch to my phone, especially considering that the newest version of mytether involves no patching.

Would doing a partial or full erase under the 'device info' section erase all patching done to the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoo.haaa View Post
    Okay is there a way I can reset my phone to stock. I want to remove all the crap mytether left behind and wouldn't mind just flashing the phone to original specifications. Also I ran webos doctor for 1.3.5.1 but that maintained all my apps including mytether. I am really annoyed I had to add that patch to my phone, especially considering that the newest version of mytether involves no patching.

Would doing a partial or full erase under the 'device info' section erase all patching done to the phone?
    Full erase, then run WebOS Doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Full erase, then run WebOS Doctor.
    Why would webos doctor need to be run after full erase? Wouldn't the full erase remove everything?
    where do I get mobile hotspot for my pre(sprint)? it's not in the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    MyTether is the single worst thing that you can do to your phone.
    In light of Rod's recent post about the latest version, explain.
    I am using freetether and MHS. Simple setup, and I was working in minutes!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast