Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sorry, yes I just had the free version. I never felt quite right about how the paid app was being supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    If you had only the free version of MyTether, then a simple delete from the launcher should be sufficient.

If you had the "Donor" version, there is quite a bit left over that has to be removed via command line.
    Like what? I noticed that after uninstallation that the donor version of mytether left its ad-hoc network running and could actually still be connected to- albeit minus an actual web connection because the patch was no longer there.... Itd have been nice to know before doctoring my phone
    If you had only the free version of MyTether, then a simple delete from the launcher should be sufficient.

If you had the "Donor" version, there is quite a bit left over that has to be removed via command line.
    Unfortunately, for free version a simple delete from launcher is insufficient you'd still need to uninstall it via commandline. The MyTether service is purposely made to install/uninstall difficultly via commandline. Specifically avoiding easy changes that would make it install/uninstall fine via WOSQI/Preware. Coincidentally his "donor" version includes an installer. Take from that what you will.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Damn... well I stand corrected. ha

I guess I need to do a little more digging myself, as I did have the free version installed for a short time.

EDIT: Jason, if I recall correctly, you posted the commands to completely remove MyTether... but I think it was in the thread that vanished. Any chance you could repost that? Thanks in advance.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Unfortunately, for free version a simple delete from launcher is insufficient you'd still need to uninstall it via commandline. The MyTether service is purposely made to install/uninstall difficultly via commandline. Specifically avoiding easy changes that would make it install/uninstall fine via WOSQI/Preware. Coincidentally his "donor" version includes an installer. Take from that what you will.
    Yeah I dug up my uninstaller and ran it three or four times and it did not help- When I installed it, I had to run it 4 times to get the app to finally 'actually' install and show up in the launcher.
    to remove mytether complete:

Code:
    /bin/mount -o remount,rw /
    /usr/bin/ipkg -o /var/ remove net.aonic.my-tether
    /usr/bin/ipkg remove net.aonic.tether
    /bin/mount -o remount,ro /

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Thanks!

It said that there was "nothing to be done" on the first remove command, but he second one did find something that needed to be removed.
    so as of right now there is no way to usb tether with free tether? I'd reinstall the mytether free service if it would give me usb and wifi
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I am able to USB tether with just freeTether... I did use Terminal to enable usbnet though.
    I am able to USB tether with just freeTether... I did use Terminal to enable usbnet though.
    you can also enable usbnet via the hidden Palm USB Passthrough app http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...r-usbpass.html

humm....got the patch, thanks jason! But not understanding the instructions here....not seeing which port to set to what on the usb passthrough app....

dbl post
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 01/24/2010 at 03:14 PM.

good grief. sorry.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 01/24/2010 at 04:43 PM.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    Does anyone know if you have to do anything special to uninstall MyTether, or can you just delete like any other app?

I have searched and can't find an answer, and since MyTether had to be installed by command line, I was thinking that it modified some files that need to be set back.
    You do not have to uninstall the MyTether app but do you need to uninstall the MyTether patch. If you have issues with removing the patch cleanly, see the 'xorg tools' thread in link below.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    humm....got the patch, thanks jason! But not understanding the instructions here....not seeing which port to set to what on the usb passthrough app....
    Same here, but I think the last 3 options might correspond to "just charge, USB drive, and media sync. (Just a guess for now. Searching (or begging) to learn more at the moment! )

EDIT: I saw some instructions saying to leave everything alone, but I don't believe doing so has any effect. I had the "Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget" (hand) installed on my laptop from the old days, and I get "Pre" showing up as a device (just as had happened in MyTether for USB mode), but I suspect that IP forwarding was not turned on because I didn't get web pages to display when only this interface is enabled). If I learn more, I'll update (but this isn't my highest priority task at the moment).
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/24/2010 at 05:30 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    yeah...... confusing indeed

OK, so I installed FreeTether and MHS. I was able to connect to the internet with MHS. I don't really need a hot spot, just to connect via tether. Is there any advantage to using MHS, as opposed to just using FreeTether? And, does FreeTether work by itself, or do I have to open MyTether, enable USBNet and then use FreeTether? If that is the case, it is just as much work as using MyTether.

Finally, many thanks to everyone who helped bring us all these programs, MyTether, FreeTether, and whoever made MHS available for us on Sprint. You have performed a great service for the Pre-verse.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    OK, so I installed FreeTether and MHS. I was able to connect to the internet with MHS. I don't really need a hot spot, just to connect via tether. Is there any advantage to using MHS, as opposed to just using FreeTether? And, does FreeTether work by itself, or do I have to open MyTether, enable USBNet and then use FreeTether? If that is the case, it is just as much work as using MyTether.

Finally, many thanks to everyone who helped bring us all these programs, MyTether, FreeTether, and whoever made MHS available for us on Sprint. You have performed a great service for the Pre-verse.
    If you want to USB tether, you can use freeTether or MyTether... no need for both.

To use freeTether for USB tethering however you will need to enable Usbnet, this can be done though the USB PassThrough or through the Terminal app. You only have to enable Usbnet once I believe, as long as you don't disable it the setting sticks.

For USB tethering, the only real difference, on the user's side, between the two is that MyTether does have the usbnet option built in. However I - personally - trust the DEVs of freeTether more than those of MyTether at this point, so take that for what it is, my opinion.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Can anyone help with a outline for the process to remove mytether? When I try to remove just the patch. it seems to hang on the removal prcoess.
    Thanks
    hi,
    I did a mistake: installing mythether and the IP-forwarding patch to use mobile hotspot. Later I saw: this was not necessary on my german pre. In the contrary. Mobile Hotspot is connecting but not working (I assume no IP forwarding) and the genuine tethering brought by Palm with the last update 1.3.5.2 is not working now too. The same symptoms.
    Please help. Thanks

Andreas
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast