Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    There's no doubt that after the recent updates that the web browser speed increased tenfold. Also, the Pre has one of the top mobile browsers so far. I would say it's second to Iphone in the US.

What about after flash? The way they implemented it to only play upon double tap means we can avoid the horrors of flash (ads) and get the benefits (flash games, hulu, etc).

You guys think we'll have the best browser by 1.4? I mean, we are on WEBos.
    +1

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    How can a browser that doesn't do auto word wrap refresh be the best?
    Quote Originally Posted by rldev View Post
    How can a browser that doesn't do auto word wrap refresh be the best?
    Because a minor stuff like what you mentioned will never out-weigh the many major improvements the browser already has....I vote +1 for the Pre having the BEST mobile browser after the flash update.
    It does auto wrap if you zoom using double tap.
    Believe it or not, i'm already happy with this browser.
    But it's always good to be moving forward, so yeah, flash will make it the best (if it's not already), but i'm sure Adobe is not going to limit themselves to Palm for longer than a couple of months or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Believe it or not, i'm already happy with this browser.
    But it's always good to be moving forward, so yeah, flash will make it the best (if it's not already), but i'm sure Adobe is not going to limit themselves to Palm for longer than a couple of months or so.
    If I'm not mistaken, Android already has Flash, so Adobe's not limiting themselves to Palm even now. And it's not Adobe's that's limiting themselves regarding the iPhone, but Apple. With the movement to HTML5, I think Flash won't be nearly so relevant in a few years in any case.

Of course, webOS is WebKit, meaning it supports HTML5 and should be ready for whatever comes its way. So, we'll all be happy regardless.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I would like to see the bookmark management on WebOS improve a lot. I have an iTouch, and Safari's bookmarks soar way way above WebOS browser in quality.
    bookmarks???? i think the way webos has their bookmarks is great...launch the browser and it shows them right away....if i'm on a certain website click the menu...go to bookmarks and there they are....what more do u need???
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Android already has Flash, so Adobe's not limiting themselves to Palm even now. And it's not Adobe's that's limiting themselves regarding the iPhone, but Apple. With the movement to HTML5, I think Flash won't be nearly so relevant in a few years in any case.

Of course, webOS is WebKit, meaning it supports HTML5 and should be ready for whatever comes its way. So, we'll all be happy regardless.
    I don't think anything can really beat flash as a unified platform - anything you develop for flash is guaranteed to work on any installation of flash. For this reason it will continue to be used for games and so forth until a better implementation is created (or flash goes open, which is a possibility).

I'm pretty pleased with webos's browser. It does everything I need it to and it does it quickly. What doesn't it do except flash (which I will be using only for iplayer, much I assume to the horror of o2 when they realise everyone has the same idea)?

Has anyone tried youtube using HTML 5 yet? They are running a beta for it, so the new site has no flash.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!

Some Android handsets have Flash Lite, like the Hero. None of them have full Flash support yet, and WebOS should be the first platform that does.

On the Hero at least, Flash Lite really, really sucked. About all that it could do was render Flash advertisements at a speed that was comparable to an animated GIF. It couldn't handle games or anything of substance at all.
    html 5 is only a draft. Video tag need decoder. Youtube html 5 beta won't work on webOS until the decoder can be done.

webkit doesn't support html5 to the full extend. Especially when html 5 is only a draft.

pre browser is good in some aspect, but has problems too, can't remember password, no fast reading of cache, losing cookies from ime to time, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    bookmarks???? i think the way webos has their bookmarks is great...launch the browser and it shows them right away....if i'm on a certain website click the menu...go to bookmarks and there they are....what more do u need???
    Based on your comment, it sounds like you've never been an iPhone or iTouch user, am I right?

For one thing, WebOS only shows your top 12 bookmarks in the tiled view. Beyond that, you have to search for it by typing, or going to the bookmarks menu. But once you're in the bookmarks menu, there's no search capability.

And there's no good way to organize them. They're all just one big list.

On my iTouch, I can organize my bookmarks into folders. Some examples of mine are...
    - News
    - Commentary
    - Politics
    - Sports
    - Travel
    - Weather

Beyond that, I have my most frequently accessed bookmarks NOT in folders, so I can get to them quickly. That's somewhat analogous to WebOS' tile view.

In WebOS, I do something that helps me find a related group of bookmarks. I add a word to the description, preceded by an @, i.e. @Sports. So when I type @Sp, any bookmark related to sports comes up.

I agree that flash may not be relevant 3 years from now but using batteries may not be relevant either. Focusing on the now and immediate future seems to be the best route for Palm, Adobe etc. It's very difficult to plan way down the line when it comes to software when hardware experiences breakthroughs and advancements that can change the way the game is played entirely.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Neither the Pre, iPhone, or Android can claim title as best web browsing phone.

The Nokia N900 runs Firefox and has full Flash.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Neither the Pre, iPhone, or Android can claim title as best web browsing phone.

The Nokia N900 runs Firefox and has full Flash.
    Yeah, I meant to say in the US :P.
    I forget about the N900. That thing is a beast.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    The N900 is available in the U.S.

It's just that it uses T-Mobile frequencies instead of AT&T's for 3G.
    n800 and n810 have had full flash for more than a year. Full flash with hulu and everything. You end up turning it off alot though.

key to the pre is hardware acceleration and hopefuly an easy way to turn it off and on only when I want it.
    +1 go palm
    [FONT="Garamond"]Dam1 J1sFONT]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast