Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Since the debut of the Pre Plus, there has been much talk about (the lack of) the center button, and it seems that most people on this forum are in favor of the implementation of the Pre Plus (on a side note, nobody made such a big deal about it when the Pixi debuted).

I for one am in favor of having a mechanical button on the Pre2 (or whatever it will be called) for the following reasons:

A: It's mechanical; you push it once and it responds instantly. With a capacitive button, on occasion you'll have to 'tap' twice or more. Many will argue that the mechanical button is more prone to failure due to moving parts but I don't remember reading about any problems in the forums.

B: There is no accidental activation of the button's function (currently Card View). If you don't swipe the gesture area just right, you may unintentionally go to card view with a capacitive button. This second point leads me to ...

C: The mechanical button would make a better Voice Dial button (or whatever function that could possibly be included in a future update). It would be less likely that you'll accidentally activate the voice dial prompt. Seriously, there's got to be a better use of the button other than Card View, are you listening Palm?

D: The raised nature of the button makes it a better LED indicator (obviously we're talking about a patch). The notification is more noticeable, especially when you're looking at your Pre at an angle.

I'm sure that the mechanical button is not in Palm's current design language for the gesture area, but I think it's hard to argue against the practical advantages of one. I would like to think of the mechanical button as a 'Sprint Exclusive' feature throughout the future, but it's just wishfull thinking.

I'm also aware that there are many users that don't use the button, thanks to an available gesture that duplicates the purpose of the button, but I'm thinking of possible future functions for the button (points C and D above).

So, are there really any advantages to a capacitive button in the gesture area other then aesthetics?
    Last edited by RafRol; 01/22/2010 at 09:11 PM.
    I like it too. Wish they would give us an API for it already!
    I like the button too, and mainly because since it's raised I can see the led notification patch from across the room.
    For most people, their preference is likely to be accidental (meaning "whatever you discovered/learned first"). For me, that's pushing the button but an up gesture is just as easy, just not a habit for me.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    i like it but wouldnt miss it.

i do wish that it was a programmable quick launch button.
    The problem is it's duplicatitive and useless as they've kept it for the time. Had they made it easily programmable like the treo and all their buttons- it would have had purpose and potential. I personally don't like it not being a multicolored trackball like the Sidekick 3... - for all your reasons above and then some. Selecting text is an innaccurate mess- which was never an issue for me on the treo using a combination of dpad and screen taps. Screen taps and minute adjustment w/ a trackball would be huge- but it's just not in the cards for us.

So all that said- sure- remove it since it's so poorly implemented so far. While they're at it- make the screen .25" bigger (same resolution) as you sure don't need ALL that space for gestures.
    Is it hard to patch the button or no one has really attempted that avenue?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Is it hard to patch the button or no one has really attempted that avenue?
    The issue with trying to patch the button is the lack of an API.
    Sadly I don't think we're going to see the button return any time soon. Maybe they're trying to out-do the iPhone? "Yes, the iPhone has only one button, but we don't have ANY buttons! You can't get any simpler than that!"
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Sadly I don't think we're going to see the button return any time soon. Maybe they're trying to out-do the iPhone? "Yes, the iPhone has only one button, but we don't have ANY buttons! You can't get any simpler than that!"
    Another reason might be that the button area was weak point and was a common location where the screen cracked.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Another reason might be that the button area was weak point and was a common location where the screen cracked.
    Palm could design reinforcements to the area around the button on an upcoming WebOS device to prevent that from happening.

Or they can go with a glass screen (which I would prefer).
    When designing the Pixi, Palm probably removed the center button to see if that would cure the cracked screen issues around the button, so when they redesigned the Pre Plus they incorporated that with other changes like better keyboard buttons and an improved slider. The last thing they want to do is launch their phones on a big carrier like Verizon and have the cracked screen issues haunting them. Sometimes the easiest fix is the best one.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    The cool little LED slot on the Pixi is a lot nicer for gesture centric interactions. I don't like moving parts. I'll be switching from the Sprint Pre to the Verizon Pixi Plus on Monday. If there are going to be buttons I would like them on the side of the phone and programmable.
    Last edited by miata; 01/22/2010 at 10:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    If you watched the 2009 CES, the center button was originally meant to bring back into card view.
    The swipe up on the gesture area was meant to bring up the launcher menu.
    That was then taken out so the ball became useless because swipe up became "bring into card view."

...If that makes sense.

Anyway, I didn't like it. I feel like they could do LED notifications WITHOUT the ball.
    If there was API, then I could understand that somebody could give that ball a function.

But until then, that ball doesn't wake up the pre (unless slid open), doesn't answer calls, doesn't start up your favorite app, NOTHING.
    So... I don't care. I'd rather have smaller gesture area with bigger screen.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    like it too...
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    I like LED notification, but could live with the pixi version. Otherwise it is just in my way, especially for advanced gestures.
    Actually, if they didn't lose the functionality of the dpad and maybe make a trackpad button out of it like the Moment or Zune, it would be a bit more functional. Having a secondary form of navigation can only help. As much as I navigate touch style on the Moment, I keep going back to the trackpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    For most people, their preference is likely to be accidental (meaning "whatever you discovered/learned first"). For me, that's pushing the button but an up gesture is just as easy, just not a habit for me.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I am torn.

I agree with many people that its easier to see the blinking notifications from afar or at an angle and I am used to using that button to get into card view. It also gives me a tactile point of reference for when I do back or forward gestures and distinguish between a half swipe and full swipe.

But the singular purpose of the physical button is not worth the possible cracks and failure (and wearing of the paint) when I think they can just have a raised bump (non-press-able) over the capacitive button that will aide in the viewing angle of the blinking notification. I do wonder, though, how good this button will be. Often times, my Pre's screen with do something funky and pressing the button is a hard-coded function that helps me determine if its a screen issue or if it needs a reset.

But since they STILL have not officially supported blinking notifications, I guess the physical button isnt necessary.
    You could try what happened to me.

My Pre fell in a toilet back on Halloween. Ever since my center button has been permanently dimly illuminated. It makes it really easy to locate my phone in the dark and has no impact on battery life.
    Would you call that a Number 3?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast