Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    that was part of the problem, it was just a button and fairly useless one at that. Had it been something usable for navigation, it would have been a different story entirely. It would have also set it apart from ALL of the capacitive touch phones out there. Then it wouldn't have been an iphone either. It would've been a Palm which is something it really isn't now thanks to the obvious Apple influence.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Dumping the button is the lazy cheap route.
    Truthwords.
    I've tried to get use to sweeping up instead of using the button and I can not. I think the double gesture to sweep a card away looks and feels unnatural. I use the button to pop into card view and sweep the card away in one seamless gesture. Another reason to like the button in the current implementation is the responsiveness. Many times I can sweep a card away before it has even pulled away into card view. You can not do this in the 2 gesture method.
    It's not a double gesture to sweep a card away. It's more of a seamless gesture to flick up and keep that flick going to close the card if that's what you want to do. It's also more seamless to just flick up twice from the gesture area to get to the launcher!

I'll agree with the responsiveness, but that won't be an issue with future webOS devices. Even now, I think it'll become less and less of an issue as the OS and other apps continue to evolve.

I really wish the API incorporated the button...
    Word!

The cracked screen problem should be addressed with the other hardware quality issues. Dumping the button is the lazy cheap route.
    Nah... the Pre is about sliding. You slide the phone to unlock... no need to fiddle with up and down and unlocking. Just grab it one-handed, put your thumb in the center of the screen... and flick it! Wanna fiddle with the system drop-down menu? Just flick your finger down from the top-right edge of the screen? Wanna fiddle with the app's drop-down menu? Just flick your finger down from the top-left edge of the screen. Wanna scroll in an app? Flick it! Card view? Flick up once. Switch cards? Flick to the right. Close the cards? Flick up! Flick up to close one more! Flick up from the gesture area to see the launcher, click an icon

And yea, Flickin' up while in an app and then flickin' the app up again is more fluid than ever touching the button. Flickin' WebOS is great, ain't it!??!

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I have seen and it's a big circle not a thin little strip. anything bigger would take away from screen real estate and the thin strip of the gesture area IMHO isn't wide enough to click up and down with any sort of effectiveness unless you have the fingers of a 5yr old.
    Well, it all depends on how you make the 5-way. I believe it'd be possible to add the Centro 5-way on the same panel as the gesture area... and have that panel register clicks at the perfect points away from the pivot point. It'd be possible, but prolly not cheap. And maybe not possible anytime soon without drastic redesign of the Pre's curvature; that very thin area would make it difficult to incorporate such a clicky meta-tap area.

Is there a big negative of a track pad ala the Moment, newer Blackberries, and Zune 80/120? embedded with a bezel, one moving part and a click in only one direction, down as opposed to left/right/up/down. And the Pre already had a center button. Would be fairly easy to replace it with a trackpad.
    I don't exactly remember those devices that you're referring too, but there was a Toshiba mp3 player that had a track pad of sorts...don't remmber any clicking tho.

Clicking > Flicking. That's all there is to it. Pg Up > Scrolling. That's what used to set Palm apart from the rest. Then Blackberry took that over. Now Palm needs to take some hints from BB again. It's a shame that I have to install a patch to get pg up/dn in the browser... just a shame.

And sorry, but I forgot this was a Pre based thread. I was imagining the Pixi. Don't remember how wide the gesture area is on the Pre so maybe my argument isn't that accurate.
    Well... lemme put it to you like this. The "meta-tap" area of the Pre covers the Centro's same "button" area. :P

It could work with a great deal of thought, I'm sure. But if there was ever an idea that Palm should rip off of Apple, it's the click wheel. Get a Clicky Meta-Tap area goin' that registers clicks *and* flicks, and you get the best of all worlds... something that the Pre tries to do quite frequently.

that was part of the problem, it was just a button and fairly useless one at that. Had it been something usable for navigation, it would have been a different story entirely. It would have also set it apart from ALL of the capacitive touch phones out there. Then it wouldn't have been an iphone either. It would've been a Palm which is something it really isn't now thanks to the obvious Apple influence.
    Totally agreed. They should've done it from the start. I think that could have TOTALLY set them apart. But then again... could just be necessary growing pains they needed to go thru??
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234