Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    For most people, their preference is likely to be accidental (meaning "whatever you discovered/learned first"). For me, that's pushing the button but an up gesture is just as easy, just not a habit for me.
    Not necessarily true. I used the button until I learned the swipe up gesture. Now the button serves absolutely no purpose on my device.
    I also like my button how it is. Don't change it.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Quote Originally Posted by Siteoner View Post
    Not necessarily true. I used the button until I learned the swipe up gesture. Now the button serves absolutely no purpose on my device.
    Same here.
    that's why it should have had more functionality in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siteoner View Post
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I agree with this man (the OP).

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    as do I...i just hope that the Pre 2 has the center button that doubles as a mouse.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I prefer the orange button and numbers as well, but will get used to it if and when a new webOS phone sweeps me off my feet.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    I, too, prefer the orange...and I don't even like orange as a color very much. Guess it's just what I'm used to?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Well I prefer to have no button because I used them both and I learned ... that...oh wait, no one's ever used one without a button so I guess I can't intelligently comment...
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusBlock View Post
    Well I prefer to have no button because I used them both and I learned ... that...oh wait, no one's ever used one without a button so I guess I can't intelligently comment...
    People have used the pixi, though...so one could make a reasonable comparison...
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Since the debut of the Pre Plus, there has been much talk about (the lack of) the center button, and it seems that most people on this forum are in favor of the implementation of the Pre Plus (on a side note, nobody made such a big deal about it when the Pixi debuted).

I for one am in favor of having a mechanical button on the Pre2 (or whatever it will be called) for the following reasons:

A: It's mechanical; you push it once and it responds instantly. With a capacitive button, on occasion you'll have to 'tap' twice or more. Many will argue that the mechanical button is more prone to failure due to moving parts but I don't remember reading about any problems in the forums.

B: There is no accidental activation of the button's function (currently Card View). If you don't swipe the gesture area just right, you may unintentionally go to card view with a capacitive button. This second point leads me to ...

C: The mechanical button would make a better Voice Dial button (or whatever function that could possibly be included in a future update). It would be less likely that you'll accidentally activate the voice dial prompt. Seriously, there's got to be a better use of the button other than Card View, are you listening Palm?

D: The raised nature of the button makes it a better LED indicator (obviously we're talking about a patch). The notification is more noticeable, especially when you're looking at your Pre at an angle.

I'm sure that the mechanical button is not in Palm's current design language for the gesture area, but I think it's hard to argue against the practical advantages of one. I would like to think of the mechanical button as a 'Sprint Exclusive' feature throughout the future, but it's just wishfull thinking.

I'm also aware that there are many users that don't use the button, thanks to an available gesture that duplicates the purpose of the button, but I'm thinking of possible future functions for the button (points C and D above).

So, are there really any advantages to a capacitive button in the gesture area other then aesthetics?
    I've never used the button on my PRE, and I'm still trying to figure out what the intent of that button is for. Perhaps it should be something rigid that make it easier to slide the phone with one hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I, too, prefer the orange...and I don't even like orange as a color very much. Guess it's just what I'm used to?
    Hey, hey, give some luv to the color orange...lol
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I like the button too. I would like it much better if it were a trackball like the crackberries have, but....*shrugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
    I also like my button how it is. Don't change it.
    Looks like they already have. I think the center button is gone from all new WebOS devices.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Looks like they already have. I think the center button is gone from all new WebOS devices.
    Yep, since the debut of the Pixi (Sprint). I'm just hoping that the FirstGen Pre doesn't end up being the only Palm with the mechanical center button.

On a side note, has anyone ever noticed that the earpiece looks like it's made out of the same translucent material as the button? Wouldn't it be cool if that was used as a second LED indicator?! Imagine one for missed notifications and the other for missed calls! There I go again with the wishfull thinking...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Hey, hey, give some luv to the color orange...lol
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I use the mechanical button dozens, if not hundreds, of times per day. I agree with the original poster.
    scrap the button unless they are going to make it a trackball. why they would make a button that resembles a trackball is beyond me. i cant count the number of tuimes i tried to use it as one when i first got the phone

but then again i can see why they didnt make it a trackball, people would constantly accidentally do a gesture swipe while trying to scroll side to side
    I use the centre button, always. I do wish it could also be a trackball
    "Save the Button"
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast