Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm currently running a 5.0 hybrid on my 8330 BB and do love this phone. I'm simply bored and ready for something new. I've followed the pre since before its release and talked my dad into it. I like the phone, but am concerned with battery life. I realize there are extended batteries on the market. I've been checking out the HTC hero and am interested in that as well.

Here's what I'm looking for.
    A Sprint phone
    "Customizable" OS ie hybrids, homebrew...
    Ability to last 1 day with heavy internet and text usage.

Thanks in advance!
    on ebay search for this seller..."smavstore" they sale extended batteries for pre 19.99 free shipping...I have ordered two! For me and my wife. It's a 2250 mah..lasts me all day
    pre is completely fun! And the updates keep you on edge..always somethin to look forward to..rather it's an app, webos update, or a patch...it's capable of so much..best phone by far
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    gee, I dunno, lol
    extended battery is bulky, I just have extra OEM batteries in my pocket and ready to swap if needed.

with bulky battery, you can probably browse all day nonstop (means you are pulling data every second of every minute of 8-10 hrs, which I doubt anybody can do). Text will not consume that much battery.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the ebay info Iroc! I think ill head to Best Buy before work tomorrow morning and pick up my new pre. I do believe they offer instant rebates. I'm not sure how ill sleep tonight! Thanks for the input everyone
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    on ebay search for this seller..."smavstore" they sale extended batteries for pre 19.99 free shipping...I have ordered two! For me and my wife. It's a 2250 mah..lasts me all day
    how much bigger is ur phone now wit the extended battery???
    Quote Originally Posted by holdfast View Post
    Thanks for the ebay info Iroc! I think ill head to Best Buy before work tomorrow morning and pick up my new pre. I do believe they offer instant rebates. I'm not sure how ill sleep tonight! Thanks for the input everyone
    Radioshack has it for $80. Bestbuy is asking for $150.
    I went through the same dilemma... I ended up going with the pre and I regretted it for a little while but with webos 1.4 right around the corner I don't think I will anymore
    There's no custom ROMs, but you can customize the OS a bit. Homebrew offers themes that are installable on to the device. Also there are plenty of patches, to make certain enhancements to the OS to make the OS work more to your liking.

There are plenty of extended batteries on the market. Battery life with heavy internet usage is a bit debatable. I'm not sure what you might classify as "heavy" also the Pre browser loads pages a lot better than your BB I imagine. So that might cut down your "heavy" usage to something to "mediocre" usage. HEAVY usage could probably bring you down maybe 15-20% an hour or more on the standard battery. I've heard the Hero's battery life can be better at times. But I've seen several posts from Pre users who left for the Hero and ended up coming back to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by holdfast View Post
    I'm currently running a 5.0 hybrid on my 8330 BB and do love this phone. I'm simply bored and ready for something new. I've followed the pre since before its release and talked my dad into it. I like the phone, but am concerned with battery life. I realize there are extended batteries on the market. I've been checking out the HTC hero and am interested in that as well.

Here's what I'm looking for.
    A Sprint phone
    "Customizable" OS ie hybrids, homebrew...
    Ability to last 1 day with heavy internet and text usage.

Thanks in advance!
    good luck with your choice
    but from my experience both webos and android devices have lower quality battery life with heavy use
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    When I Bought my Pre, the hero had just come out and I was heavily debating the two phones. Ultimately the Pre was the right choice for me and remains the right choice for several reasons.

1. Keyboard - Physical keyboard is important to me. I was open to trying the virtual keyboard, and I have it installed on my Pre, but the tactile quality without losing any screen space is something that can't be understated.

2. OS support - Different Android phones get different OS updates at vastly different times. Palm's approach, which is almost identical to Apple's in this regard, is much simpler, when an update is ready, you get it. Simple as that.

3. Aesthetics - It may not matter to some, but the Pre is simply a beautiful phone, both physically and the UI. The Hero and other Android UI's feel a lot more cluttered and the form factor is vastly inferior IMO.

My 3 cents... good luck in your choice.
    I had the pre and got the Hero, i do miss the swiping and better management of memory and miss the hard keyboard, hero has some advantages like the apps but i use very little of them, when you dont have apps you want them but when you have them you dont use them. You are coming from BB like i did then i suggest the pre cause of the hard keyboard. Dont worry about the apps they will all come. Or you can wait till new pre comes out this year
  14.    #14  
    Thanks Clevis, I hadn't checked radio shack.

I use my browser between 4 and 6 hours a day since I dumped my computer. I rely on my BB for pretty much everything at this point. I do have access for OS updates as needed.

I have to say one selling point for the pre is this forum, you all have been really helpful. I appreciate it.
    When I Bought my Pre, the hero had just come out and I was heavily debating the two phones. Ultimately the Pre was the right choice for me and remains the right choice for several reasons.

1. Keyboard - Physical keyboard is important to me. I was open to trying the virtual keyboard, and I have it installed on my Pre, but the tactile quality without losing any screen space is something that can't be understated.

2. OS support - Different Android phones get different OS updates at vastly different times. Palm's approach, which is almost identical to Apple's in this regard, is much simpler, when an update is ready, you get it. Simple as that.

3. Aesthetics - It may not matter to some, but the Pre is simply a beautiful phone, both physically and the UI. The Hero and other Android UI's feel a lot more cluttered and the form factor is vastly inferior IMO.

My 3 cents... good luck in your choice.
    brendilon pretty much nails it. That's why I chose the pre over the hero.
  16.    #16  
    I was at radio shack when they opened today.I ended up going with the pre. Thanks for all your help! This thing is awesome and a pretty easy transition
    Oh, and if you're still concerned with battery life, grab an extended battery. 1.4 will help, but it's nice to have the extra power so that you really don't have to worry.

I can go a couple of days with the extended battery with average use. It does make the phone bulkier but at least you have the choice.
    If you don't want the extra bulk, you can try the Mugen 1400 extended battery (fits in the orignial palm battery door, only 31 dollars shipped. Alot of people that luv their TS chargers went this route.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    gee, I dunno, lol
    haha
    I've had an HTC Hero for a little over a week now and I think I'm going to be trading it in for the Palm Pre or Pixi.

I went to a Sprint store yesterday to try typing on both but the Palm Pre was not working, the Pixi however was much nicer for me than the Hero.

I don't mind software keyboards, I have an iPod Touch and I can type just fine on it. The Hero has a smaller screen so the keypad is smaller and it's not a matter of if you'll make errors, it's just a matter of making sure the auto-correct fixes them all the way it should.

The errors bug me for sure but the main disappointment is the lag with the keyboard. I am constantly having to wait for the keypad to catch up to make sure the auto-correct caught all the errors and the lag is killing me. I checked around the Android sites and I agree there's a lot of cool things coming with that OS and a lot of developers but I am not a cell phone geek, I want something that works not something that I have to ROOT and ROM and save files and Re-Root when the next update comes etc.

I am heavily leaning towards going with the Palm Pre. At this point the only thing I'll really miss is the visual voicemail but I saw an app for that for the Pre. Having used visual voicemail now, I can't see myself going back again. Other than that, I compared the Pixi and the Hero for over an hour yesterday and the Palm OS is impressive and has everything I need.

Android has more apps but what's the first thing everybody tells you to do when your Hero lags? Delete Apps. Well what's the point in having all of these great apps if they're just going to destroy my phone's performance? I still have my iPod Touch with wi-fi, I can get all the apps I want for that and keep my phone for the things I want my phone for - namely texting, emailing, calling, and communicating with people - something that was driving me crazy with the Hero.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast