Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Instead of just removing the silver ball and increasing the gesture area (which really doesn't need to be so big and wastes battery life with those lights), they should have done what everyone really wants: increased the screen size.

Without drastically changing the hardware, they've really got room for about 3/8 of an inch extra in length. That would add 50 pixels and make the screen 320x530. That ratio, 1.66:1 is actually EXACTLY the wide screen ratio in Europe (although many are now switching to 16:9) and Super 16 mm, which is what TV is shot in.

And it would finally make an onscreen keyboard possible.

So, here's how it might look:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That would screw up so many of the already available apps. They would all have to be resized, which admittedly wouldn't be a big deal, just a huge pain in the *** for developers.
    it should have been like that but they could have kept the same resolution and it wouldn't screw up anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    it should have been like that but they could have kept the same resolution and it wouldn't screw up anything.
    Then there would be no benefit to having a larger screen size. Everything will just look larger but also less sharper.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    That would screw up so many of the already available apps. They would all have to be resized, which admittedly wouldn't be a big deal, just a huge pain in the *** for developers.
    Not really since WebOS is scalable
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    That's like saying that web sites should never have switched from developing for 640x800 screen sizes. And anyways, with the Pixi, they already forced developers to make their apps so they could handle multiple screen sizes.

But seriously, you'd turn down the opportunity for a larger screen because you don't want to risk that some apps would not take advantage of the extra screen size?
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    that would make it harder for 1 handed operation.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    also, i dont those little lights are big battery hogs.
    higher resolution would be a major change that would slap sprint and pre users in the face, which Im not sure palm would like to do after merely 6 months.

Not too mention, there is little benefit at this stage, it would delay the 3D games on the Plus and causes unnecessary pain in so many ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    Not really since WebOS is scalable
    Yea, but not for all of the iPhone apps and games Palm wants to port over. This would have been a horrible business decision.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    webOs was made so it can easily be resized that's why they use html and css
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    webOs was made so it can easily be resized that's why they use html and css
    it is, but not those 3D games. I imagine its possible for game to resize screen resolution if needed, but i doubt it has been worked out yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    it is, but not those 3D games. I imagine its possible for game to resize screen resolution if needed, but i doubt it has been worked out yet.
    And considering that Palm is going to the Game convention in March, I think it is clear who they are targeting. Palm made the choice to match the iphone resolution because they wanted to make it easy to bring familiar apps to the Pre.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I'm sure it seems like a small change but cost wise I'm sure retooling for the hardware change would have cost plenty. Not cutting out a hole in the faceplate and adding memory is a very small change by comparison. The claims of "upgraded" slider is what I'm curious about. I guess time will tell.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Has everyone forgotten about LED notification? I guess nearly a year w/o it your used to not using it anymore....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Has everyone forgotten about LED notification? I guess nearly a year w/o it your used to not using it anymore....
    yeah, you can't take that away from me now!!
    That is one of the most useful patches on my OPP (Original Palm Pre!)
  17.    #17  
    You'd rather have LED notification than a bigger screen? Really?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Chaning the aspect ratio of the screen just to add .1" is NOT worth it.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Chaning the aspect ratio of the screen just to add .1" is NOT worth it.
    Actually it makes quite a BIG difference. It's not insignificant (click the image to really see how much extra you get. suddenly a virtual keyboard is usable):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Actually it makes quite a BIG difference. It's not insignificant (click the image to really see how much extra you get. suddenly a virtual keyboard is usable):
    I'm not impressed. HVGA is fine and it should stay that way, more compatibility with older apps and future apps, especially since companies might be porting their apps over from the App Store.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast