1.    #1  
    Not complaining, just sharing. I love the Pre and am only a little annoyed.

Just got my third Pre. First Pre was in August, no issues until the headset jack went crazy. Store tried fixing it, I tried the fixes, didn't work. So I got a refurb sent and it was great too.

Well, I dropped the dang thing on ceramic tile and it hit right on the corner...cracked the screen, broke the whole right part of the touch pad. I've dropped the phone several dozen times with no ill effect (even on the asphalt) but pretty much any full touchscreen device would have been punished by this drop.

So anyway, I pay the $100 to asurion, I get it 3 days later (broke in on a Saturday, just my luck). And finally I got to see some of these hardware issues I've read so much about. Namely this thing Oreos like crazy. I can slide a credit card into the gap at the top of the phone There is a enough room to make the phone "click" if I squeeze the top quickly. So I guess I can use it as a clacker.

That is frustrating, but I know it happens. However, the thing that is absolutely not acceptable to me is that the keyboard is whack. The left side of the keypad is bright and the right side is dim. Its noticeable even in a bright room. Whenever I press a key on the left I get a flash of light from that button. It looks like the backlight is out of place so it bleeds heavily out from around the keys. If Refurbs get this special treatment like people say, I have no idea how this got through the refurb process.

I plan on returning the phone for a replacement and I am going to try and demand a new phone. But I decided to wait until 1.4 comes out to order it as I really don't feel like redoing the phone another 2 times in the next 4 weeks.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Not complaining, just sharing. I love the Pre and am only a little annoyed.

Just got my third Pre. First Pre was in August, no issues until the headset jack went crazy. Store tried fixing it, I tried the fixes, didn't work. So I got a refurb sent and it was great too.

Well, I dropped the dang thing on ceramic tile and it hit right on the corner...cracked the screen, broke the whole right part of the touch pad. I've dropped the phone several dozen times with no ill effect (even on the asphalt) but pretty much any full touchscreen device would have been punished by this drop.

So anyway, I pay the $100 to asurion, I get it 3 days later (broke in on a Saturday, just my luck). And finally I got to see some of these hardware issues I've read so much about. Namely this thing Oreos like crazy. I can slide a credit card into the gap at the top of the phone There is a enough room to make the phone "click" if I squeeze the top quickly. So I guess I can use it as a clacker.

That is frustrating, but I know it happens. However, the thing that is absolutely not acceptable to me is that the keyboard is whack. The left side of the keypad is bright and the right side is dim. Its noticeable even in a bright room. Whenever I press a key on the left I get a flash of light from that button. It looks like the backlight is out of place so it bleeds heavily out from around the keys. If Refurbs get this special treatment like people say, I have no idea how this got through the refurb process.

I plan on returning the phone for a replacement and I am going to try and demand a new phone. But I decided to wait until 1.4 comes out to order it as I really don't feel like redoing the phone another 2 times in the next 4 weeks.
    I'll be heading to Sprint today to hopefully get my third Pre. The only thing that bothers me about the process is the fact that I am sure Palm knows about these issues people are having and they still make it to where we have to go into Sprint and be judged by the mercy of morons who could give a damn.

They should just replace the device for new ones without issues or send us actual refurbs that have been properly fixed. It is simply unacceptable. I have never had this type of thing with any phone I have ever owned. I can understand issues with WebOS, but the actual device? How long has Palm been making phones.... where exactly did they screw up so badly?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    From what I have read Asurion warranties the replacement phones for 12 months from any defects. They should overnite you another one with no problems.
    If you can find a good CS rep, you should be able to get a new one. It has worked for me. I kept finding issues with the two refurbs they gave me and then my fav CS rep was working when I returned the second one and she hooked me up with a new Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    I'll be heading to Sprint today to hopefully get my third Pre. The only thing that bothers me about the process is the fact that I am sure Palm knows about these issues people are having and they still make it to where we have to go into Sprint and be judged by the mercy of morons who could give a damn.

They should just replace the device for new ones without issues or send us actual refurbs that have been properly fixed. It is simply unacceptable. I have never had this type of thing with any phone I have ever owned. I can understand issues with WebOS, but the actual device? How long has Palm been making phones.... where exactly did they screw up so badly?
    Actually, from my experience, doing it over the mail is pretty easy. I had the headphone jack issue and they overnighted me a refurb no questions asked. You don't even need to talk to anyone, its all done on Sprint's website. They say they will charge you some crazy fee if nothing is wrong, but if you have valid complaints I think you'll be ok. Its much easier than dealing with those jerks at the stores. Plus, my closest repair center is 45 minutes away.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    From what I have read Asurion warranties the replacement phones for 12 months from any defects. They should overnite you another one with no problems.
    It says on the paperwork you have 30 days, but I am pretty sure they will work with you as long as you are paying your $7.

I am just trying to decide if its worth the hassle of demanding a new one. I will probably try another phone, if its another shoddy refurb then I will probably call Asurion and see if they will hook me up.