Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I'm planning on studying abroad in Japan this fall, and I'm currently a Sprint customer. I have a Pre, and use it very frequently-- and I'm unfortunately not really aware of cell phone plans/contracts outside of the US. Does anyone here know if there is a way I could use my Pre while in Japan, more than likely with a Japanese phone provider?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!
    No. Your Sprint Pre uses a CDMA radio. Europe including Japan use GSM radios. There are GSM Pre's out there...the ones in Europe and some of Canada's. Currently there is not a GSM carrier in the States...although AT&T will soon..
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Well, I'll be there long enough that I'll probably have to get a service plan from a local company. Are there any companies that offer the GSM Pre in Japan? I don't mind if I need to get a new GSM Pre, I am just hoping that I'd be able to use one while there.
    Quote Originally Posted by taelusramza View Post
    Well, I'll be there long enough that I'll probably have to get a service plan from a local company. Are there any companies that offer the GSM Pre in Japan? I don't mind if I need to get a new GSM Pre, I am just hoping that I'd be able to use one while there.
    Softbank (formerly Vodafone) runs a CDMA network still which your Sprint Pre will roam on. Unfortunately the UMTS (GSM) Pre isn't offered direct from any carriers. You could pick up a Euro GSM Pre unlocked and pick up a sim from DoCoMo or Softbank in Japan. The EU GSM Pre supports UMTS 2100 frequency range which is what Japan uses so it should work. I'd recommend Softbank as a local provider as their prices tend to be better and the network is less oversubscribed than DoCoMo.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I'm really going to show my ignorance here, but does the Pre even have a SIM card? Also, where would I be able to go about getting an EU GSM unlocked Pre? Also, thanks for the provider recommendation, the school I'm studying abroad through doesn't provide very good information on different providers but requires I have a telephone available.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusBlock View Post
    No. Your Sprint Pre uses a CDMA radio. Europe including Japan use GSM radios. There are GSM Pre's out there...the ones in Europe and some of Canada's. Currently there is not a GSM carrier in the States...although AT&T will soon..
    Wow... well first of all Japan is not part of Europe. Also, Japan does not have any GSM carriers.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V