Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why does sprint show I am on an unlimited data plan if there is a 5GB limit? I am new to the mytether scene and wonder ho long it will take to get to the 5GB limit. How much do we get charged if we go over?

Thanks

Darren
    1. mytether is not officially supported by sprint.
    2. most networks has a cap, not to say its good or fair.
    3. you sure sprint has a 5G cap on the data?
    My last 2 calls to their customer service told me that 5gb cap applies to tethering data. Data used from the phone is unlimited. Their are differences between the 2 so it can be differed between the 2.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    You have the wrong information. The reps are ignorant. It is mentioned into Sprint agreement:
    Phone as modem or tethering: not included.

It is written in bold on your phone contract that Sprint will charge you 5c/kb (50$/mb), if you tether (unless you add their extra data option, that will make tethering as part of your phone data for up to 5gb/month). Like Bell, they don't have a way to detect it, yet. You better don't call and ask them.

In Canada, we are lucky and can tether for 3c/mb without a plan, over a PAN connexion. As I said, it is not detectable "yet" and you can do 100gb/month if you can.
    Last edited by T3CK; 01/22/2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added Sprint link
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    That link refers to limitations on 3g if used on a data only plan. There is no limit for phone data usage (data used for only on the phone, not tethered).
    I deal with this all day long on the phones I manage for my company with Sprint. Sprint does indeed have a tethering option (additional cost) that is marketed as being unlimited. The fine print, however, indicates that it has a 5GB limit.

This is separate from data usage that you use directly through your phone and is only specific to the data usage incurred while your laptop/pc is tethered to your phone.

I have never received a good answer from Sprint as to how an unlimited tethering plan has a 5GB limit.
    IIIxe > Tungsten T > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Pre
    Just as anecdote. I used to blow up my tethering connection on my Touch Pro with a Sero 500 plan. I was never charged. I think my max was around 6.5 gigs in a month.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Sprint and Bell will catch up. Before, you had to be a genious to pair the phone with a laptop. Now, it takes 2secs.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  10.    #10  
    How does anyone know that sprint can't tell if someone is tethering? And, if it is not included but we are able to get this to work, what will happen if sprint does find out?
    the 5GB limit is just for Sprint aircards and Mifi wireless hotspot.
    i have Mytether and use it everyday for hours at a time. Well to double check i called Sprint Care. Without saying why i wanted to know if my plan had a data limit like the air cards. He said if your on "the simply everything plan" you do not have a limit on data, Only the air cards have the 5GB limit. so i asked "sooo if i somehow used over 70 GB of data on my phone I won't be charged anything other then my regular monthly bill?" he said correct. i told him thankyou and have a nice day.
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    the 5GB limit is just for Sprint aircards and Mifi wireless hotspot.
    i have Mytether and use it everyday for hours at a time. Well to double check i called Sprint Care. Without saying why i wanted to know if my plan had a data limit like the air cards. He said if your on "the simply everything plan" you do not have a limit on data, Only the air cards have the 5GB limit. so i asked "sooo if i somehow used over 70 GB of data on my phone I won't be charged anything other then my regular monthly bill?" he said correct. i told him thankyou and have a nice day.
    Heh, you might not get charged, but I can guarantee you if you keep up that behavior, you will get dumped by Sprint as abusing the account.

I've seen 3 people tether phones , ignoring what's being relayed here(5 GB limit) only to get dumped after 30 to 60 days.

It's your plan and your phone, but if you get dumped, don't cry about it. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Heh, you might not get charged, but I can guarantee you if you keep up that behavior, you will get dumped by Sprint as abusing the account.

I've seen 3 people tether phones , ignoring what's being relayed here(5 GB limit) only to get dumped after 30 to 60 days.

It's your plan and your phone, but if you get dumped, don't cry about it. :P
    yea.... i know but i am just relaying what the sprint guy told me i got his name and everything sooo we will see what happens lol
    Data accessed through tethering, if done correctly, is not noticeable, it can just look like the phone is requesting each site. Additionally Sprint will not just 'dump' you, they will give you a warning and ask about your behavior, they do this because not only do they want to keep you as a customer but to just outright drop you would be a violation of their contract and result in you getting out of it.

If they could detect that you are tethering your phone they could terminate the contract at cost to you because of violating the usage agreement, however there are still some privacy laws protecting us in this aspect, but still it's more likely they will just end the contract without charge.

So, they probably won't do anything and won't detect that your tethering, if they do take action they will call and talk to you about it first, if they detect you're tethering (which they won't know for sure, they might suspect but if you deny it they can't really do anything about it).

I'd say be smart use it when you need to but realize that there are consequences if you make a mistake (or your unlucky).
    also: it is pretty hard to actually reach a 5 gb limit if your're NOT using p2p filesharing.
    If you actually want to do that: get yourself DSL/Cable.
    Not only will the company get ****ed, it is also a pretty dickish move to everybody else using data on the cellphone tower. You actually share the bandwidth with all the other customers on the tower :-/
  16.    #16  
    What about streaming videos? Does this use a lot more data?
    Quote Originally Posted by csrredcoat View Post
    What about streaming videos? Does this use a lot more data?
    Let's say youtube encodes videos with 350 kbit/s (seems reasonable).
    350 kbit/s are 2.625 megabytes per Minute
    5 gigabyte are 5242 megabytes
    --> 1 997 minutes of video at 350 kbit/s
    --> 17.6 HOURS of video

So if you actually watch over 17 hours of youtube on your cellphone in a month, you'd reach 5 gigabytes.
    That would be over half an hour on every day of the month
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for the info. Does tethering add to and reflect on my sprint accounts "currant usage"? Someone suggested the two are separate...phone and tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by csrredcoat View Post
    Thanks for the info. Does tethering add to and reflect on my sprint accounts "currant usage"? Someone suggested the two are separate...phone and tethering.
    My guess would be: they can't detect the difference between "regular" phone traffic and tethering
    I can guarantee you will get into trouble if you exceed 5GB in a month. This is based numerous talks I've had with Sprint employees in various levels within the corporation, some of which I talked to in person.

That being said, it's hard to exceed 5GB if you're just occasionally using it on your laptop when you can't find free WiFi which I feel is what most people use it for.

I can tell you recently there is a new message that pop's up on the Pre after a certain period of time when you're tethered (like after an hour or longer) that warns about the data service can't be reached or something to that fact and then it disables your data. Putting the phone into airplane mode and then back into normal mode and resetting MyTether fixes that and resets the timer for the pop up message (this happened to me in SF).

Not sure if that is an omen of bad things to come but it could mean a new war is looming for the ability to tether on Sprint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast