1.    #1  
    A couple weeks ago, my Pre's power button went bad and they ordered me a refurb. Everything has been fine with the new phone until yesterday. I was sitting, waiting in my car, and I went to look something up on my phone. The sun was very bright and I had to turn my phone very horizontally to see the screen clearly. When I did that, I was able to look underneath the black silk-screen that frames the screen, to where the actual screen extends upward, beneath. The light caught a very small, horizontal line, that looked like a crack in crystal looks when the light catches it. I took it into the Sprint store for a look. My feeling is and was this... if it's some kind of imperfection, fine. If it's a crack that came with the refurb, and it gets worse, I'm hosed for $100 to replace a phone for a crack I didn't make. He said he didn't think it was a crack, but would order me a new Pre anyway.

I HATE the idea of replacing my Pre again. Not just because of the shear numbers, but because I've got mine the way I want it. It's updated, rooted, cpu-scaled, homebrewed etc. and runs great. So, here's the punchline...

Has anyone else run into something like what I described? Was it a crack, or just some harmless manufacturing flaw?

Should I replace to be safe?
  2.    #2  
    A couple weeks ago, my Pre's power button went bad and they ordered me a refurb. Everything has been fine with the new phone until yesterday. I was sitting, waiting in my car, and I went to look something up on my phone. The sun was very bright and I had to turn my phone very horizontally to see the screen clearly. When I did that, I was able to look underneath the black silk-screen that frames the screen, to where the actual screen extends upward, beneath. The light caught a very small, horizontal line, that looked like a crack in crystal looks when the light catches it. I took it into the Sprint store for a look. My feeling is and was this... if it's some kind of imperfection, fine. If it's a crack that came with the refurb, and it gets worse, I'm hosed for $100 to replace a phone for a crack I didn't make. He said he didn't think it was a crack, but would order me a new Pre anyway.

I HATE the idea of replacing my Pre again. Not just because of the shear numbers, but because I've got mine the way I want it. It's updated, rooted, cpu-scaled, homebrewed etc. and runs great. So, here's the punchline...

Can you look up, at an angle, underneath the black frame, to the screen below? Do you see anything like what I described?

Has anyone else run into something like what I described with their Pre? Was it a crack, or just some harmless manufacturing flaw?

Should I replace to be safe?
    I have something similar on my phone, it looks like something scratched the underside of the plastic around the screen (not on the screen itself) It happened after i dropped my phone in my bathroom..but not right away. I know for a fact it wasnt there right after the phone fell. A day or two later it showed up, and it has not spread at all. Its just annoying to look at sometimes.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    I have something similar on my phone, it looks like something scratched the underside of the plastic around the screen (not on the screen itself) It happened after i dropped my phone in my bathroom..but not right away. I know for a fact it wasnt there right after the phone fell. A day or two later it showed up, and it has not spread at all. Its just annoying to look at sometimes.
    Do you think it's worth worrying about since they have a replacement waiting for me? I honestly don't mind it being there if I don't have to worry about it spreading and costing me $100 later. But, I do actually mind restoring my phone again.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Those ARE cracks in the glass. My wife's Pre has several of them from when the cat knocked her Pre on the floor. There are small pit marks, and spidering out from beneath them (under the plastic) are almost undetectable cracks in the glass. And they DO spread.
    I'm not sure who your carrier is, but I've read posts here that Sprint in the United States treats stress cracks in the gesture area as manufacturer defects. Your phone should be replaceable under the Palm warranty at a store operated by your cellular provider.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!