Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's 3 days until the Pre is launched on Verizon. Where is all the marketing? Jeez, I knew the Droid was coming a few weeks before it was launched. I have yet to see one ad by Verizon regarding the Pre launch. What does this say about the potential, or lack of, success of the Pre on Verizon? Is Verizon really committed to pushing this phone?
    Seems as if Verizon only really totes their flagship phones, and currently their only flagship phone (correct me if I am wrong please) is the Droid.
    Purhaps Palm was less willing to pony up as much advertiseing dollars than Google and Moto.
  4. sko
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Frickin' everyone and their dog has a droid now, so in the last Month I don't think that many people 'saved' their upgrade for a Pre, ya know? So that could be part of the lack of advertising, only a few big pushes each year to get everyone to use up their upgrades and get a few new customers...
    Well, they had the full page ad in the New York Times and they have been playing radio advertisements pretty aggressively too.

This is going to sell very well on Verizon. It's a good time to be a Pre owner.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    They just launched a TV ad about their new plans. They advertise it with some cheap *** Samsung phone. Lame...
    Palm didn't sell enough Pre's on Sprint.

Verizon doesn't think the Pre will sell much either .

There's no reason to spend money on a phone that you think is going to fail at worst or at best sell a few.

But, who knows maybe Big Red and WebOS proponents will be surprised.

nb
    Last edited by biggnaa20; 01/22/2010 at 06:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post

Verizon doesn't think the Pre will sell much either .

There's no reason to spend money on a phone that you think is going to fail at worst or at best sell a few.

But, who knows maybe Big Red and WebOS proponents will be surprised.

nb
    way to go buzz kill!
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    you got a number?
    As someone said earlier, I think Big Red's 100MM advertising campaign for Droid effectively reduced any potential television ad buys they could and would do for WebOs. I think you'll see tv spots from Red for WebOs but nothing like the Droid bombardment. Big Red's spots just need to be better and more numerous than the Sprint campaigns.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I heard an add on ESPN AM 1000 here in Chicago that talked about the Pre's ability to multitask seemlessly... it seemed like a well put together ad with good background music.
    Verizon has far more invested in the Droid devices and brand, so they will do far more to sustain it. It is that simple.

Not really a reflection on Palm or the Pre.
    It's really up to Palm to bring on the marketing. V supposedly ordered a limited amount so i wouldn't expect a big marketing push from them.

Radio ads? You can't sell multitasking on webOS through a radio ad. I wouldn't even waste the resources on radio.

Too bad Palm didn't buy a superbowl spot. Although the key advertising may just be to Verizon store reps in getting them on board. Let's not forget Sprint's training wasn't the best and they did not let employees buy the phones. I always wondered about that. In fact, if i'm making the Pre my flagship, i'd go the opposite route and push the Pre on my employees. These are the guys who sell your devices afterall.

StreetInsider.com - Piper Jaffray Reiterates an 'Overweight' on Palm, Inc. (PALM); Anticipate Stronger Execution for Verizon Products Launch
    "Our monthly channel checks continue to indicate in-store training of sales reps is key to driving sell-through of newly launched products. For example, when the Pre and Pixi launched at Sprint, we believe initial Pre sales could have been stronger with better in-store training. In fact, we were surprised our checks at many Sprint stores indicated store reps had limited knowledge about the Pre's unique features for the first several months of availability.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/22/2010 at 08:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, Verizon owns the "Droid" name for their smartphone line so they spent $100M to get their house brand out there for the current and future Droids. They simply aren't going to do that for the Pre which they share with another carrier.
    And the name "Droid" had to be licensed from LucasFilms. Bet that wasn't cheap.
    The ads for the Pre were not good. The messages were soft and didn't hit home at all. If I'd picked a phone based on an ad, I would have gone with a Droid.

I think even the multitasking thing is a waste to push. Most people don't know what that means to them (which is why AT&T is pushing back with the "talk and surf" message). Honestly, they would have been better to just say something about Synergy, the cool multi-touch screen, and it's unique form factor.

Hell, an add showing sending an email, closing the slider, then minimizing and flicking away the app. Then open browser, rotate to landscape and resize with a pinch, then putting the Pre on a Touchstone would have been enough. Would have made people say "it can do cool stuff". As it was, it was too complicated for the masses to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's really up to Palm to bring on the marketing. V supposedly ordered a limited amount so i wouldn't expect a big marketing push from them.
    True. I'd be curious to see if Palm actually increased it's advertising budget for the expected launches on Verizon and ATT.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Although the key advertising may just be to Verizon store reps in getting them on board. These are the guys who sell your devices afterall.
    True again. I would bet that a number of phones are sold just by individuals walking into the store asking the opinion of the sales person. If the people selling your devices know nothing about them, how are they able to advise the customer one way or the other?

There was that sales guy from Verizon on the forum last week that mentioned that employees were being trained on WebOs. Not sure if that was a company wide initiative.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    The ads for the Pre were not good. The messages were soft and didn't hit home at all. If I'd picked a phone based on an ad, I would have gone with a Droid.

I think even the multitasking thing is a waste to push. Most people don't know what that means to them (which is why AT&T is pushing back with the "talk and surf" message). Honestly, they would have been better to just say something about Synergy, the cool multi-touch screen, and it's unique form factor.

Hell, an add showing sending an email, closing the slider, then minimizing and flicking away the app. Then open browser, rotate to landscape and resize with a pinch, then putting the Pre on a Touchstone would have been enough. Would have made people say "it can do cool stuff". As it was, it was too complicated for the masses to follow.
    I agree in essence with you about the difficulty of advertising multitasking. However, I think that a very streamlined commercial showing multiple cards and someone going back and forth, maybe listening to music while browsing the net and then switching to a card to text someone could easily be followed by the masses.
    VZ might do something this weekend (during NFL games, etc). But it's also possible that that they are holding back a bit until after the Apple event on the 27th. Think about it; if they show a commercial that shows that Pre can handle notifications easily and keep 40+ apps open - what happens if Apple trumps that in a few days? And so they might want to wait so they can pinpoint the exact advantage to showcase that Apple can't match with 4.0.

I'm just speculating of course :-)
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    They have been advertising a bit in NY on the radio... I have heard their ad a bunch on 660 WFAN, but other than that, nada... I expect to see some commercials this Sunday during football..
    AM radio? Seems like a waste to me.

I think the main reason VZ picked up Palm is to get all the existing customers who love their Treos and Centros to reup on their contracts. They've got enough carrier switching power with the Droids.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast