Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    AM radio? Seems like a waste to me.

I think the main reason VZ picked up Palm is to get all the existing customers who love their Treos and Centros to reup on their contracts. They've got enough carrier switching power with the Droids.
    I think Big Red and ATT picked up WebOs phones b/c it rounds out their smartphone lineups. ATT's CEO said at CES that with Android and WebOs they have the most complete lineup of smartphones. Each carrier is looking to have something over the other. You have more to brag about when you're able to say that your company stocks smartphones from all of the major vendors and it gives your customers more options, which should make them less likely to churn.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    It seems like Verizon needs to use the Pre and Pixi to fill voids in their demographics. I mean honestly the Droid is a geek oriented phone but the marketing campaign was so big that regular peons just had to have it to be cool. We are in a state of post-scarywoman mindset that the pixi and pre really have no targeted consumer. So that leaves Verizon to use it to fill some gaps and enhance its lineup in the stores.

Back in October, I walked into the Sprint Store looking to check out the Pre. The sales guy immediately showed me to the Hero and even some Ugly and boring Samsung. I asked about the Pre and he kinda was like "Oh, well that is a Palm phone and you can have a look over there.", didnt even follow me over!

It's like the corporate part of the world has shunned this device for whatever reason. I'm still puzzled as to why nobody likes it alot more than they should.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I think most people just think multitasking is great for streaming radio and surfing. Show them you can do that with a pre in a commercial and it'll be instantly appealing. I know android does it too but most people don't realize pre is in the same class as iphone and androids.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilson02 View Post
    It seems like Verizon needs to use the Pre and Pixi to fill voids in their demographics. I mean honestly the Droid is a geek oriented phone but the marketing campaign was so big that regular peons just had to have it to be cool. We are in a state of post-scarywoman mindset that the pixi and pre really have no targeted consumer. So that leaves Verizon to use it to fill some gaps and enhance its lineup in the stores.

Back in October, I walked into the Sprint Store looking to check out the Pre. The sales guy immediately showed me to the Hero and even some Ugly and boring Samsung. I asked about the Pre and he kinda was like "Oh, well that is a Palm phone and you can have a look over there.", didnt even follow me over!

It's like the corporate part of the world has shunned this device for whatever reason. I'm still puzzled as to why nobody likes it alot more than they should.
    I do not understand it either. but really the lack of target market is def a marketing flaw......maybe their target market a while ago was "everyone who has an iphone" (since that was emphasized soooo much)
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I think most people just think multitasking is great for streaming radio and surfing. Show them you can do that with a pre in a commercial and it'll be instantly appealing. I know android does it too but most people don't realize pre is in the same class as iphone and androids.
    yes and no, in terms of built nah

as for not advertizing, it was the same in europe, but for some reason precentral believed there was a some what big push........
    its not a device thats going to sell in the millions, its still not matured yet....
    Stock analysts are banking on Palm gaining traction on Pre/Pixi selling on Verizon. With the lackluster marking from both companies, you have to wonder who is to blame if (big IF) the volume didn't live up to the expectation.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    I think the main reason VZ picked up Palm is to get all the existing customers who love their Treos and Centros to reup on their contracts. They've got enough carrier switching power with the Droids.
    You nailed my situation. I got a Centro the day it came out. Now looking to use my "new every 2" $100 on a new phone.

I haven't been on these forums much since I got the Centro over 2 years ago. Can anyone recommend a link to compare the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus? Verizon's website currently has nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I agree in essence with you about the difficulty of advertising multitasking. However, I think that a very streamlined commercial showing multiple cards and someone going back and forth, maybe listening to music while browsing the net and then switching to a card to text someone could easily be followed by the masses.
    Good point. Just getting into the "true multitasking" aspect and comparing with the iPhone is not going to win points. Maybe just have the person flip through some cards to the email app, send something (with the real keyboard), flip to a browser, do something multi-touch, and then show off the Touchstone. I think people would get that it's really capable. As it is, it's all lost in jargon and misunderstandings.

Hell, the ads from the carriers are hard enough to keep straight as it is. For instance, Bell keeps talking about it's "network" being the fastest and the fewest dropped calls. Technically, it's two networks, the CDMA one and their new GSM one that just launched. Pretty much any phone you get will only be on ONE of them, not both.

My point is that you can explain that kind of thing, but people walk away with the sound bite. The reality is the Pre is cool. My friend with a BB loves it when I flick away an app. The fact that it's cool is enough to get people to look at it, and consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    You nailed my situation. I got a Centro the day it came out. Now looking to use my "new every 2" $100 on a new phone.

I haven't been on these forums much since I got the Centro over 2 years ago. Can anyone recommend a link to compare the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus? Verizon's website currently has nothing.
    Try Palm's website. Or look around this website. Engadget had a review of both recently as well.
    Yeah, Verizon might be just throwing mud against the wall, hoping some will stick, I mean if Big Red was really fired up about the Pre launch you would think they would have had some kind of promotion on the front page of their website a least a week before the launch, 3 days before the big launch now and still nothing on their website's front page. The only other reason I can think of is maybe they just waiting to push the launch untill after the 1.4 update.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    Good point. Just getting into the "true multitasking" aspect and comparing with the iPhone is not going to win points. Maybe just have the person flip through some cards to the email app, send something (with the real keyboard), flip to a browser, do something multi-touch, and then show off the Touchstone. I think people would get that it's really capable. As it is, it's all lost in jargon and misunderstandings.

Hell, the ads from the carriers are hard enough to keep straight as it is. For instance, Bell keeps talking about it's "network" being the fastest and the fewest dropped calls. Technically, it's two networks, the CDMA one and their new GSM one that just launched. Pretty much any phone you get will only be on ONE of them, not both.

My point is that you can explain that kind of thing, but people walk away with the sound bite. The reality is the Pre is cool. My friend with a BB loves it when I flick away an app. The fact that it's cool is enough to get people to look at it, and consider it.

I was just thinking about this and heres the thing that gets people. - SIMPLICITY. to us on here we may think everythings all cool with the patches and preware and quickinstall.....but in reality people just want a phone that isnt too hard to understand. My girlfriend was looking at my phone and i was trying to explain the gestures and how synergy works and i could tell she was just more interested in USING the touchscreen, the keyboard, etc then hearing all the perks. People will realize how functional the phone is - how its useful. but first they want the basics and can learn the other stuff later.

then again this is just my opinion.
    Palm's target demographic is everyone who uses (or is soon going to use) a smartphone. Anyone who is talking about limitations in this area is way off the mark. This market segment is exploding. The Pre is going to do very well on Verizon because once consumers have a chance to interact with it they will rapidly see that it's the best handset on the network. Compared to the Pre Plus, the Droid is this wildly geeky and incredibly unintuitive brick of metal with a relatively weak UI.

Besides, you guys are all the missing the real point here. Looking at computer operating systems, Apple's OS X is a distant second place to Windows in terms of market share. Does this mean that Apple's computer division is on the verge of going out of business? Um no, of course not. It is entirely possible to make a lot of money even if you only control a small portion of the market. This armchair-analysis mentality that you are either absolutely dominating or your company is set to collapse entirely is at odds with the realities of business.

The proverbial smartphone pie is very large, and rapidly expanding. Palm is going to get a piece. They don't need the entire thing to be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, Verizon owns the "Droid" name for their smartphone line so they spent $100M to get their house brand out there for the current and future Droids. They simply aren't going to do that for the Pre which they share with another carrier.
    Doesn't Motorola Own the name?
    The bulk of droid ads were part of the christmas marketing season, I can't see Verizon spending a bunch on a Q1 marketing campaign
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Actually, until the iPod and iPhone came along, they were just about going out of business with computers.
    Yeah...that's a silly comparison. Apple computers are virtually a luxury brand with a price premium to match and instant, iconic recognition. Palm WebOS devices are slightly middle of the road smartphones that are trying to gain a foothold and identity at the same time.
    well in detroit, there's ads on two stations that I listen to, both FM. A rock music station and a sports talk station. It talks about simplicity and all that and says havinh multiple apps open at the same time instead of multitasking. And they're played during the drive times over and over for the last week.

idk why palm didn't expand on the pixi tv ad with the pre. My gf wanted no part of my pre when I would try to show it to her. She said it's too confusing...after she saw the pixi ad, she plays with my phone all the time and now she wants a pixi...but she's on ATT so she has to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinamn2224 View Post
    well in detroit, there's ads on two stations that I listen to, both FM. A rock music station and a sports talk station. It talks about simplicity and all that and says havinh multiple apps open at the same time instead of multitasking. And they're played during the drive times over and over for the last week.

idk why palm didn't expand on the pixi tv ad with the pre. My gf wanted no part of my pre when I would try to show it to her. She said it's too confusing...after she saw the pixi ad, she plays with my phone all the time and now she wants a pixi...but she's on ATT so she has to wait.
    i think this happens all too much. the pre is simple but still confusing at the same time.
    the gestures are easy to understand, swipe back to go back, swipe up to minimize, toss up to throw away.....but i think the big thing is not that the actions themselves are hard to understand....just that the concept is new. i mean how many other phones have a "gesture area". the iphone is easy. "press button to close app", palm in a way is opening up new territory. thats how i see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeah...that's a silly comparison. Apple computers are virtually a luxury brand with a price premium to match and instant, iconic recognition. Palm WebOS devices are slightly middle of the road smartphones that are trying to gain a foothold and identity at the same time.
    Actually Apple turned the corner when they released the original iMac in 1998. I worked at CompUSA at the time, and saw their retail space blow up in the store.

Also guess who led the team that designed the iMac? Jon Rubinstein.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    If you think that the Pre Plus is a "middle of the road smartphone" then I don't really know what to say.
  20.    #40  
    I have been watching this thread for a few days and after reflection of the many great comments it boils down to marketing or lack there of. Not only from a standpoint of Verizon not pushing it like the Droid but also Sprints poor approach.

I understand the Verizon points made (100mil spent on Droid marketing) but there is no excuse for not telling the WebOS story on Sprints part. I agree with others....show the OS in real world experiences. Then maybe, somebody will get it that does not own a Pre.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast