Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Finally! the Pre is coming to verizon and I can finally get one! I've been using a Blackberry (that I simply can't stand) and an iPod Touch for music and podcast listening. I track a large number of podcasts and keeping them in line is pretty important to me.

Here's the question; How does the Pre Plus handle podcasts? I ask because I love the organization of the iPod Touch and how all podcasts are seperate from music and therefore very intuitive and easy to navigate in and out of. I also like how the Touch remembers where I left off when I leave can come back to a podcast. Does the Pre offer this kind of organization or are the podcasts just mixed in with the music somehow.

If it's not as intuitive, is there a 3rd party app out there that will handle the podcasts better?

Thanks,

Ken
    Scoob
    there are multiple apps that work well for podcast like:
    mediafly
    dr. podder
    radiotime
    etc...
    also the normal music player does save it position of the last song you were playing and you can play buy artist genre etc...
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    So the Pre itself doesn't have a seperate ability to organize podcasts? Is it mixed in with the music?
    Scoob
    Im using a homebrew app called "Dr.Podder" which download and manage podcast from internet directly.

The buildin music player does not do a very good job in the aspect you mentioned.

scoobie10 unlike apple products, palm does not have a dedicated sync program for multimedia. so you will need to get mediamonkey, doubletwist, etc. to organize your mp3 files. However, as warbald13 said the dedicated podcast apps are great. I suggest dr. podder since you can either stream the podcast or download it for later listening in areas with not such good data coverage. In either case, if you pause dr. podder and exit out of the program it will save your spot until you are ready to come back to it.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Excellent, thanks for the info.
    Scoob
    The music app that comes stock with the pre is not that robust. I think it simply sees mp3 files and makes it available to be played. It does support playlists but outside of an old version of itunes most people have had trouble getting it work properly with the stock music app. Music remix (homebrew app) is a lot more robust and includes flylists that you create directly on the phone, so you could potentially separate it out that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobie10 View Post
    So the Pre itself doesn't have a seperate ability to organize podcasts? Is it mixed in with the music?
    organize podcasts? what do you mean?
    you can create playlist
    you can put them in a different folder
    is there a podcast button? no
    but like i said there is a free apps there can download and stream podcasts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Dr. podder is the best. You will love it.
    yes, it is, altho you can pick "genre" in the player, and there is a "podcast genre" there. But its definitely not as easy and polished as iPod Touch or my ZUNE HD.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    organize podcasts? what do you mean?
    you can create playlist
    you can put them in a different folder
    is there a podcast button? no
    but like i said there is a free apps there can download and stream podcasts
    The question is answered now, but I was trying to understand if the Pre organizes podcasts anything like the iPod Touch. Meaning, it has a dedicated catagory for casts, lets you choose one podcasts source then decide which episode to listen too. That kinda thing. Answer is no.
    Scoob
    The question is answered now, but I was trying to understand if the Pre organizes podcasts anything like the iPod Touch. Meaning, it has a dedicated catagory for casts, lets you choose one podcasts source then decide which episode to listen too. That kinda thing. Answer is no.
    You can use iTunes, provided that it's version 9.01 or later
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    You can use iTunes, provided that it's version 9.01 or later
    iTunes?? I thought that Apple put an end to that... two or three times.
    Scoob
    iTunes?? I thought that Apple put an end to that... two or three times.
    only on the latest version. Previous versions work fine to sync music. You can find past/previous version that work with the Pre / Pixi if you do a google search.

however, I would recommend you try DoubleTwist among the alternative media syncing applications that work with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Yep drPodder is the only way to go. AWESOME
    drPodder. Automatic refresh and download is only way to go. iTunes what?
    About this DrPodder program...I've had my phone almost since inception without going the homebrew route, but would VERY much so like a program to download my podcasts directly to my phone without hooking it up to my pc. That said, does each WebOS update they release break these homebrew apps? Secondly, does this DrPodder work with any podcast subscription?
    Quote Originally Posted by aznicktwit View Post
    About this DrPodder program...I've had my phone almost since inception without going the homebrew route, but would VERY much so like a program to download my podcasts directly to my phone without hooking it up to my pc. That said, does each WebOS update they release break these homebrew apps? Secondly, does this DrPodder work with any podcast subscription?
    Some homebrew apps brake on updates. They are they are the ones that use undocumented API's. However most of them do not. I don't think DrPodder has broke on any updates.

Also from what I hear, DrPodder is headed to the app catalog shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by krwren View Post

Also from what I hear, DrPodder is headed to the app catalog shortly.
    that would be great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast