Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been seeing this error message more and more these days when checking out the AppScoop Catalog.
    On the front page of the catalog, it clearly states that it will only show you the apps your phone can download. So why is this happening?
    For example:
    Try clicking on the first and second apps they have listed (at this moment) --

-- Sprint Pre
    &
    -- Movie Quote Mania

Did Palm put the squeeze on them for some reason? Or is it some other problem?

Pondering minds want to know.....

**** UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE ****

Somebody from AppScoop responded to this thread and explained what the problem is. Read further for details.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 01/21/2010 at 09:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I can't download the asteroids game because of this error.
    Since AppScoop only shows "Web apps," i.e., those that Palm hasn't reviewed/approved, then it could be that those apps aren't written correctly. If so, then that demonstrates one issue with the open distribution model.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Since AppScoop only shows "Web apps," i.e., those that Palm hasn't reviewed/approved, then it could be that those apps aren't written correctly. If so, then that demonstrates one issue with the open distribution model.
    And if you could download and it was a bad file.....scarry
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    And if you could download and it was a bad file.....scarry
    Then that, of course, brings me back to this question .....

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-our-pre.html
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    ***** Sorry for the extra post. I'm trying to try the M-Quote option with your post and Finally Pre's post.
    As you can see, that didn't work out too well.
    I'm having the same problem. Even when i try to view some of the apps online, they say their not available. Guessing it's not just our devices? It's a webOS-wide thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Then that, of course, brings me back to this question .....

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-our-pre.html
    And the answer is: Palm might have some sandboxing going on (e.g., as it stands apps can't change data in the PIM apps that they don't create, I believe). Even if they can, however, that makes things no worse than with any other platform where someone can write an app and make it available on their own, i.e., how all app distribution was done before Apple created such a closed environment and how it happens for PCs.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Folks, there is nothing wrong with the apps or your phones.

The problem is that the download links for some apps are not *live* yet. If you try to go to that link either on your desktop or on your phone, you get an error because that link is not active yet for some reason.

Two issues at hand:

1. When this model was announced, Palm promised that the apps will be available for download within 2 hours. Well, that is not happening for these apps (3 web distro apps as far as I know).

2. The other problem is that the apps are getting pushed out to the feeds before their download links are alive. That is why you see these apps in AppScoop. Technically, Palm should not push out these apps until they are downloadable.

I've submitted this bug to Palm and Chuq has escalated the issue. Will let you guys know when I hear from them.
    AppScoop, ScoreKeeper, Classifieds2Go, TasteSpotting Today, Etsy Browser
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jiyerapps View Post
    Folks, there is nothing wrong with the apps or your phones.

The problem is that the download links for some apps are not *live* yet. If you try to go to that link either on your desktop or on your phone, you get an error because that link is not active yet for some reason.

Two issues at hand:

1. When this model was announced, Palm promised that the apps will be available for download within 2 hours. Well, that is not happening for these apps (3 web distro apps as far as I know).

2. The other problem is that the apps are getting pushed out to the feeds before their download links are alive. That is why you see these apps in AppScoop. Technically, Palm should not push out these apps until they are downloadable.

I've submitted this bug to Palm and Chuq has escalated the issue. Will let you guys know when I hear from them.
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I know that alot of people will appreciate it when they read it.
    This appears to have been resolved. The 3 apps that weren't available yesterday are finally available. I am yet to hear from Palm on what happened and whether it will happen again. Will update.
    AppScoop, ScoreKeeper, Classifieds2Go, TasteSpotting Today, Etsy Browser
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jiyerapps View Post
    This appears to have been resolved. The 3 apps that weren't available yesterday are finally available. I am yet to hear from Palm on what happened and whether it will happen again. Will update.
    Thanks again.
    We all appreciate your help with this.
    My wife bought an app from the app store and it gives this error. I have tired doctoring the phone, migrating, even pkg repair. Nothing seems to fix it. Any idea? The app is called Shopping List.
    Install Failed "this is not a valid webOS application"

Any information on this issue yet: I'm not referencing AppScoop or web distro apps.

I cant download, seemingly, ANY apps. Currently my list of Download failures is Speed, Google Cal Search, Chuck Norris Facts, Dictionary. Anyone else?
    Last edited by eekinsman; 01/24/2010 at 04:39 PM.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Just to clarify, I'm getting this error messages on the Pre itself, after attempting a direct download from Pre's App Catalog:

Install Failed
    "this is not a valid webOS application"
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm getting this error messages on the Pre itself, after attempting a direct download from Pre's App Catalog:

Install Failed
    "this is not a valid webOS application"
    having the same issues here... no app will install and i get the same exact error message...
    I'm continuing to search for a solution. So far the only solutions that seem to work for others is to Partial Erase, or Doctor. I consider this to be bad and worse.
    please do a search for my name there you will find the soution to your problem ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysride9812 View Post
    please do a search for my name there you will find the soution to your problem ...
    Thanks Mikey. The other solution that I found which worked for me was running the Emergency Patch Migration tool from Preware. This solved all my install failure problems.
    Atleast some of these apps returning the error that it is not a valid webos ap is from the fact that palm is still reviewing the app itself. They are hitting the preware feeds prematurely for some reason which is basically annoying. i found this situation to be true for the new clearcheckbook app.

Here is a post from the developer in his forum:

January 29, 2010 by Brandon
    They will be free
    All the apps will be free. We may have some pay apps down the road that offer some more advanced features, but for now, these are all free.

The WebOS app is currently being reviewed and the android app is getting close to completion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast