Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I've had the Pre now for about a week. In that time I've charged it completely and let it die several times to condition the battery/phone.

Today I took the phone off the charger at 1200. Battery was 100%. I turned on Pandora and noticed by the time it started playing and I'd deleted some emails the battery was already down to 96%. I let it play for 30 minutes and the battery dropped to 70%.

I know the battery life is poor and applications like Pandora will drain it quickly but is this normal? When I read reviews of the extended batteries on another site they said they could stream Pandora for something like 6 hours with the standard battery. At the rate I'm going I'll only get 100 minutes.

Thanks.

(fyi...I only have a few patches installed [LED notification, brightness unlinked,] have turned off the gps, and followed all the other battery life tips found here on precentral.)
    That's not a normal drain, but I experienced the same thing when I first got my phone. I'm not sure if it takes a while for the battery to become conditioned properly, or something... but the more I used mine, the better the battery seemed to get (the updates helped too). Keep using it and see if you see everything improve gradually.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    That's not a normal drain, but I experienced the same thing when I first got my phone. I'm not sure if it takes a while for the battery to become conditioned properly, or something... but the more I used mine, the better the battery seemed to get (the updates helped too). Keep using it and see if you see everything improve gradually.
    My experience exactly.
    When I have Pandora playing and with BT on, with the battery app I measured roughly 15% per hour with the screen turned off.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I've already used it extensively and let the battery charge/die multiple times. Still not conditioned?

i just read another thread about updated PRL settings so I just now updated PRL and Network settings. Will see if that helps.

I also seem to recall someone saying to turn data roaming on. Does this make a difference?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Didn't help...still losing 1% a minute.
    Pandora is a huge battery hog. It's data intensive and doesn't allow the CPU to idle, both of which drain the battery quickly. My experience w/Pandora is that I can't use it unless I'm relatively close to a charger.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    get the battery monitor app from preware to monitor battery drain. idle should drain around 2% per hour or less. turn gps off and on only when needed. turn display down to less than 10% brightness. also, leave wifi & bluetooth off unless needed. with casual use i get a drain between two and three percent per hour. you may also consider using one of the powersaving apps in preware.
    @scott_healey: idle drain is also a huge function of sprint signal strength. For exmaple, the best I can get at work is about 5% drain per hour while completely idle. That's because at work I get very inconsistent signal. That causes the radio in the phone to be constantly searching for signal, which uses a lot of power.

You should do some tests with gps on/off and bt on/off. I've done them using Battery Monitor, like you suggest. I've found that wifi on while not needed does increase battery drain. But that leaving both gps and bluetooth on has no impact on % drain per hour. YMMV.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Sometimes the phone does seem to loose sense of how much storage power it has I think. I often take mine from 100% down to shutdown and most recently it said it would shutdown soon and 5% but it let it get to 0% and for about 5 minutes it said 0% and i was opening apps still. Then it finally shut itself down. Hope the 1.4 update fixes a lot.
    Are you using WIFI? I found that if my phone is idle on my wifi at home which uses WPA2 for encryption, the phone will drain to 0% in about 5 or 6 hours doing absolutely nothing.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    GPS off, WiFi off, Screen down to 0, Bluetooth off. Running battery monitor now. Went from 37% to 31% in 10 minutes. Drain per hour is 37.94.

Strong EVDO signal.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Down another 20% in 33 minutes. That can't be normal. I'd hate to go back to Blackberry but this is killing the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletreo View Post
    GPS off, WiFi off, Screen down to 0, Bluetooth off. Running battery monitor now. Went from 37% to 31% in 10 minutes. Drain per hour is 37.94.

Strong EVDO signal.
    you need to test for at least 1 hr.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    After 1 hour, 6 minutes; drain per hours 26.63%.
    After 1 hour, 6 minutes; drain per hours 26.63%.
    if you are talking about using Pandora, then yes, continuous data pulling consume battery about 20-30% per hr.

if you are talking about standby, then its not normal, standby should consume around 2% per hr.

there is no way around it, if you are a data intense user, its better to invest $10 on an extra battery.
    If this is the drain without Pandora running, could there be an issue of memory leaks? Would doctoring the phone be a suggestion at this point and see if this corrects any possible problem?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    This is while using Pandora so I expect it to drain faster but this seems way too fast. The review at Prethinking.com (sorry, can't post links yet) shows more than 6 hours while streaming Pandora. I only got about 3 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by lqdice View Post
    Are you using WIFI? I found that if my phone is idle on my wifi at home which uses WPA2 for encryption, the phone will drain to 0% in about 5 or 6 hours doing absolutely nothing.
    I've found about the same thing with my WIFI, not convinced that is the problem, because it didn't do this until after the latest update from palm. It actually seemed to start a few days after the update.
    This is while using Pandora so I expect it to drain faster but this seems way too fast. The review at Prethinking.com (sorry, can't post links yet) shows more than 6 hours while streaming Pandora. I only got about 3 hours.
    i dont really know how Prethinking got that data, maybe using headphone rather than speaker?

3G data or wifi for that matters, are intensive, and Pre does have a smaller battery than BB.

again, if your are a data intense user, highly suggest invest extra battery for $10/each.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast