Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My husband is with Verizon and can up grade right now. He was looking at the Palm Pre Plus because he loves my Pre (awww and so do I).

However he was just told the costs for his monthly plan will be:

Unlimited talk and text - $90
    Unlimited data - $30
    GPS - $10

and if he wants the mobile connection thing it is $40 a month (he doesn't need this because we have the Sprint Broadband card but he just checked it out).

However we are wondering if his payment would stay the same since the plan he has already has unlimited data and text. It's the old Altell Circle of Friends or whatever it was called for his talk.

I told him I get my plan for ~$90 (including taxes). If he were to come to Sprint we could even split the Family Everything and we'd each pay even less about $65 each.

His contract isn't up until May and he doesn't want to wait to upgrade from his MotoQ so he has an ETF to pay if he does. I told him he'd make that $200 up with the savings in what he currently pays for his plan quickly but he fails to understand that. LOL!

I just wondered if anyone else had heard these outrageous costs there...oh and I tried to search but couldn't find anything. Sorry if it is a repeat.
    Last edited by cowgirlupkelly; 01/21/2010 at 01:19 PM.
    you're the first one to shed light on Verizon's pricing. THANKS!

is the END of his contract in May or is that his upgrade date? they're not the same.
  3.    #3  
    Chud, is upgrade date is 1/11/10 and his contract end date is 5/31/10.

I just edited my post to add a bit more info.
    if that's the case in what you said in the edit....in order to get the cheaper upgrade price on the phone he has to start a new contract and that means say good bye to the alltel plan.

tell him to drop Verizon and get on Sprint with the EPRP plan.

what's his motivation for staying with them?
  5.    #5  
    He will probably be able to keep his plan even upgrading the phone but Verizon won't even talk about if it will be compatible with Pre Plus until Monday.

He wants an upgrade phone NOW and doesn't want to pay the $200 ETF with them.
    I was 6 months into a 2 year contract on my BB Storm with Verizon, after deducting 5 dollars per month it came to around 145 dollars to get out. I sold my Storm on ebay for 200 dollars, so it only took around 3 months to get my ETF back in the monthly savings going with Sprint. One of the best decisions I have ever made, love my Pre and where I live (SoCal) the service has been fine for me, in fact, inside my house, the reception is actually better with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    He will probably be able to keep his plan even upgrading the phone but Verizon won't even talk about if it will be compatible with Pre Plus until Monday.

He wants an upgrade phone NOW and doesn't want to pay the $200 ETF with them.
    i have no idea what you're talking about.

if he has some back room deal going on where he can keep his current plan, then great.

if he cant WAIT until MONDAY for a NEW phone on HIS network....whatever....
  8.    #8  
    Chud, just like when I upgraded to the Pre my plan I had with my previous phone would work. We think that might be what happens with the Altell->Verizon plan and the Pre but Verizon won't even tell him if it will be compatable with the Pre until Monday because they aren't selling it yet.

I never said he couldn't wait until Monday to get a Pre..what I am saying is he wants to upgrade 'when the pre comes out' and he is eligible to do so as of the 11th. If he was to come to Sprint as you stated he would have to pay an ETF.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    I thought unlimited talk and text was 69.99 now? At least that is what the adds were saying.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Just want to add that when I was Verizon and my daughter upgraded to a newer phone, I could not keep the old plan, another of the many reasons why I left Verizon.
    I did some analysis of verizon vs sprint plan costs here. My conclusions:
    1. For an individual, Sprint plans win on a features/cost basis. It doesn't matter what the users requirements are, they can either get them cheaper from Sprint or get more features for free from Sprint, than they can from Verizon.
    2. For shared plans, there are times when Verizon is less expensive and times when Sprint is less expensive. On an apples to apples comparison, Sprint is always cheaper. But if users have fewer requirements for their service provider, they can construct plans on Verizon that meet those requirements, and cost less.

I also created a quick & dirty spreadsheet that allows you to plug in your requirements and compare the sprint vs verizon prices. That's here. As an example of how you can construct a cheaper shared plan on Verizon, create a 2 line plan w/one phone using minutes only and the other phone using minutes & data (and combined minutes < 701). In that case, Verizon is about $30/mo cheaper than Sprint.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Just want to add that when I was Verizon and my daughter upgraded to a newer phone, I could not keep the old plan, another of the many reasons why I left Verizon.
    Apparently not with the Pre Plus.

I dunno he was told if he went to the Droid he could keep his current plan and it would work with that.
    This same thing is true at Sprint. Back during release, there were *many* who had plans that they wanted to keep, but were forced into an everything plan which was a requirement for the Pre. Many were on SERO plans where they paid roughly $30/mo for 500 mins, unlimited data and unlimited text. To get the Pre, the cheapest plan they could switch to was Everything Data 450: $70/mo! They were not happy.

Myself, I was on a shared plan with my wife and I had unlimited data on my line only. It cost about $75/mo. To get the Pre, I was forced into an Everything Data plan. The shared plan was $130/mo!

The best that I could construct was switching my phone to Everything Data 450, ($70/mo) and my wife to Talk 450 ($40/mo) for a total of $110/mo. Which was better than $130, but way more expensive than $75!

My point: Verizon isn't the only one that does this.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I can't glean from your first post if he is currently on a data plan. My thought, I don't know for sure, but if he is currently on what is formerly Alltel's unlimited data plan, Verizon may, may being the operative word, just let him keep that plan.

For all of their smartphones, Verizon is making everyone get the $30 data plan. Just assume that he'll have to get the $30 data package if he leaves the MotoQ and goes with one of Verizon's smartphones.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  15.    #15  
    Yeah he has unlimited data on the plan he is with now. He just hates the MotoQ and has since about 2 months into it.
  16.    #16  
    I already has an Everything Data (900 minute one I think...I get 15% discount because of where I work). Maybe that is why I didn't need to switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    This same thing is true at Sprint. Back during release, there were *many* who had plans that they wanted to keep, but were forced into an everything plan which was a requirement for the Pre. Many were on SERO plans where they paid roughly $30/mo for 500 mins, unlimited data and unlimited text. To get the Pre, the cheapest plan they could switch to was Everything Data 450: $70/mo! They were not happy.

Myself, I was on a shared plan with my wife and I had unlimited data on my line only. It cost about $75/mo. To get the Pre, I was forced into an Everything Data plan. The shared plan was $130/mo!

The best that I could construct was switching my phone to Everything Data 450, ($70/mo) and my wife to Talk 450 ($40/mo) for a total of $110/mo. Which was better than $130, but way more expensive than $75!

My point: Verizon isn't the only one that does this.
    My point was that by switching from Verizon to Sprint, I now have 3 pre's instead of 2 smartphones and am saving 40 dollars a month on top of that, that's all.
    The truth is that he won't know anything for sure until he tries to sign up for the Pre or whatever Big Red smartphone he wants. Verizon could be making former Alltel customers switch over to Verizon plans if the customer is purchasing a new phone.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  19.    #19  
    Yeah I guess I realize that. Was kinda hoping the 'I'm a Verizon C/S Rep' guy would be on here today!!!!

The biggest thing was he was told he wouldn't have to change his plan if he went to the Droid.
  20.    #20  
    My point was that by switching from Verizon to Sprint, I now have 3 pre's instead of 2 smartphones and am saving 40 dollars a month on top of that, that's all.

He would be saving $40 a month (me $20 a month) if he came to Sprint with the Pre and we got the family everything plan. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast