Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I include Facebook as one of the accounts that the Palm webOS syncs with in contacts. I love that feature because as friends update phone numbers, photos, email addresses, etc., my contacts are updated automatically.

Problem. I do not want to dig through all of my Facebook friends when I am looking for a contact on my phone. Many of my Facebook Friends are from high school, college or other places in the past. I want to be able to keep up with them but will not be texting or emailing very often.

In LinkedIn I can set contact as 2nd or 3rd level and they will not be put into my Pre. That's perfect. I have the contact when I need it but they do not clog up my phone's contacts.

How do you set selected Facebook Friends to NOT Sync with Contacts?

I know the trick of setting up a dummy contact in your phone called "Facebook" and just linking them all into that. So I have a contact called "Facebook-High School", etc. That moves them off the list but it still slows down your Pre becasue it is still sorting through all of them.

Any thoughs?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/21/2010 at 12:35 PM.
    You can't control it; you either get every contact or none.

The general consensus is that the universal search eases having to scroll through hundreds of contacts.
  3.    #3  
    There has to be something we are missing...

- Craig
    Hmmm...
    Try having someone in mind when looking them up and browse them through Universal Search.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I never use my contact app. Whenever I have to call/msg someone I just type in the first 3-4 letters of their names. It narrows down the list; also if you have nicknames for them it's WAY easier and effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    I never use my contact app. Whenever I have to call/msg someone I just type in the first 3-4 letters of their names. It narrows down the list; also if you have nicknames for them it's WAY easier and effective.
    I've "tipped" this before, and everytime someone says "I didn't know that", so I'll keep doing it for now.

You can also type the first letter of their first name, and then their last name, and that works as well. "gpar" takes me right to "Gini Parsons".
    yea, I can't remember the last time I actually went into the contacts app.
    It would be really love it if someone could create a patch to bypass the facebook protector. As of now you can not delete any facebook information from the phone. I have some contacts who do not update AIM and Phone on facebook and would like to delete the phone or AIM number. Also there are some facebook people I would not like on my phone. If this has already been done please let me know, or if there is already a thread about this that I could not fine. Thanks,
    Hobbz likes this.
    I would like something like this too
    Quote Originally Posted by zidane1341 View Post
    I would like something like this too
    +1 and a way to remove the notifications to every single one that shows up without clicking it.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Remove the facebook account from your contacs/preference
    Someone in another thread came up with a solution a couple of months ago on how to remove facebook contacts, forgive me I don't remember which thread it was. His solution was to create a new generic contact called whatever you want. Then simply link any facebook contact that you want to remove to this generic contact. While this solution doesn't actually remove the unwanted facebook contacts, it does reduce the number of unwanted contacts down to 1.
    That is really only half the problem. Some of my good friends I talk to regularly have information that is not correct on facebook, or information ends up on my phone twice. What I want to do is swipe away the wrong information from the facebook contact but leave the right one.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonehew View Post
    Someone in another thread came up with a solution a couple of months ago on how to remove facebook contacts, forgive me I don't remember which thread it was. His solution was to create a new generic contact called whatever you want. Then simply link any facebook contact that you want to remove to this generic contact. While this solution doesn't actually remove the unwanted facebook contacts, it does reduce the number of unwanted contacts down to 1.
    I've seen this solution elsewhere, but I'm afraid I'm kind of new and don't understand "linking" contacts to other contacts.

Could you provide the exact steps to do this?

I'm on a Verizon Palm Pixi Plus running WebOS 1.4.1.1

Thanks in advance.
    The idea of synergy is to link and therefore combine information of the same person from different sources - to be shown in one universal profile (=contact entry).
    The system tries to do that automatically and it does so quite well normally.

When you open a contact you can click on the name or the photo to open a drawer that lists all the contacts Synergy put together into this profile. There you can link together 2 contacts (thus telling the system they belong to the same person) or unlink if the automated process put together 2 contacts that don't belong to the same person.

(in reply to #6 this also works for people using outdated facebook information, unlink the outdated fb-contact and link it to a dummy "facebook friends" acount)
  16.    #16  
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/05/2010 at 10:35 AM.
    so there's no way to just tell facebook to update existing contacts in the phone?

so right now i have to manually take pics of my friends and manually add thier birthdays cause it seems so much easier to do that for the 40 people i talk to rather than deleting, filtering, and merging contacts for the other 900.

on my curve, i used to sync facebook and ONLY people in my phonebook would sync with facebook (add pics, birthdays, etc)

I'm in the group of "i dont want 1000s of people in my phonebook.."
    seriously there's only a handful of people who complain about this?? i think this is such a big deal...
    Quote Originally Posted by oren217 View Post
    I'm in the group of "i dont want 1000s of people in my phonebook.."
    seriously there's only a handful of people who complain about this?? i think this is such a big deal...
    Apparently so, but count me in that handful who think it is a big deal.

I go through phases, sometimes I sync Facebook, sometimes not. Universal search is great, but when I type Hall and my work contact comes up as well as an old school friend with the same last name, I don't want to have to be extra careful that I don't hit the wrong one accidentally. This is probably my biggest annoyance with the phone/webOS. Patches have fixed everything else.
    Add a nickname to your friend or the work contact and use that instead. Alternately, if you simply cannot get past using universal search, you could export your facebook contacts with the patch, import into google, and then edit them there and delete your facebook profile.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    This was such a helpful thread! I finally enabled syncing of Facebook contacts on my Veer, and linked my Palm/Google info with the Facebook entries. While a patch to remove unwanted Facebook contacts would be great, thanks go out to those who suggested creating a new contact and linking all the unwanted accounts into it. I ended the new contact name with '#' so it ends up at the bottom of the contact list.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast