Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    article said Pre plus vs Pre is 50 vs 13 apps.

thats not entirely true.

reasoning:

1. a pre can open around 25 apps when none of them are games.
    2. a pre can open 13 apps when 1 of them is game

so

1 game consume about the memory of 13 none game apps.

so

when only counting none-game apps, Pre vs Pre plus will be like 25 vs 62, 2.5 times more.

so, there you have it, with NFSU game open, its 13 vs 50, without NFSU open, its 25 vs 62.

Plus is better in this regard? absolutely, more helpful in your daily life? probably not.

so, Pre users, lets face the situation more objectively. and be happy for palm.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    First of all, not to be an *** but what is 'reasonal'?...
    and second, was alot of people asking for an explanation of the comparison test?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    and second, was alot of people asking for an explanation of the comparison test?
    i dont know, maybe, maybe not, who cares, the information is nice to have, one way or the other.
    I tried last night on my Sprint Pre and got 44 apps open before it slowed down to a crawl. Lots of them were games but none were 3d games. I never did get a too many cards error.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I really don't care how many apps I can run at once...I am the kind of guy that always swipes off all apps when I am done with the phone. However, I do have 3 things running in the background at all times....

1. Newsroom (notifies me in the notification area when there is a new story on Pre Central )
    2. Switcharoo (changes my background every hour)
    3. Weather Dashboard (sits in the notification area updating weather info every 15 mins)

On occasion I am also online with AIM and Yahoo Messenger

So.... to me the extra memory would be helpful mostly when trying to start a 3d game. Many times just stopping those running apps is not enough to get a 3d game going, with more memory I wouldn't have to restart quite as often to play a 3d game.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    with more memory I wouldn't have to restart quite as often to play a 3d game.
    thats indeed only significant benefit I can see, currently.
    I am loving webOS more and more....at first I was the only guy following the Pre since it's intro during CES 2009. By now all my friends except one black sheep have a Pre, and one Pixi. The black sheep friend is looking at a Hero.... or whatever else comes out with as huge a screen as possible.

Can't wait to see what the REAL upgrade will look like!
    So.... to me the extra memory would be helpful mostly when trying to start a 3d game. Many times just stopping those running apps is not enough to get a 3d game going, with more memory I wouldn't have to restart quite as often to play a 3d game.
    I have a feeling that this is related more to memory leaks and insufficient garbage collection rather than to the amount of RAM. I think we should all reserve judgment until 1.4 is released--it might just be that Palm has really cleaned things up with this update, and closing an app will release its memory as it should.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    A real test would be to see how many of the same app the Pre and Pre Plus can open. Web browser windows loaded to the same page for example.
    @Manny

1. Newsroom (notifies me in the notification area when there is a new story on Pre Central )
    I thought I was alone until I read that LOL I do the same thing!

NewsRoom is fantastic app, btw, in case anyone was wondering
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I'm guessing he meant "reasonable."
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    @Manny

I thought I was alone until I read that LOL I do the same thing!

I totally agree. They had some rough spots when first starting out, but I bought Newsroom as soon as it came out and it just got better and better, especially faster. Love the notification thingy...works great!
    LOL.. I love it when someone corrects another person's grammar and them screws up their own in the process! Um... "was" isn't the correct term - "were" is... also "alot" isn't a word - "a lot" is correct.

oh nooo... snap!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    LOL.. I love it when someone corrects another person's grammar and them screws up their own in the process! Um... "was" isn't the correct term - "were" is... also "alot" isn't a word - "a lot" is correct.

oh nooo... snap!
    "then"
    I can't imagine having 50 apps open on my desktop, let alone my smartphone. With that many things open you spend more time finding the one you want than it would take to open an app.

I multitask constantly and I doubt I've ever had 13 programs going at once on my desktop. I think I had 6 cards open once on my Pre, usually 4 or less.

Somehow the whole "how many apps can I have open?" thing seems sort of like "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" - no real world impact. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts

oh nooo... snap!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    "then"
    ... I guess we both screwed up.... but I was pointing out the spelling, not the grammer...

And I was just being funny... nothing serious by it...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    ... I guess we both screwed up.... but I was pointing out the spelling, not the grammer...

And I was just being funny... nothing serious by it...
    Grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I totally agree. They had some rough spots when first starting out, but I bought Newsroom as soon as it came out and it just got better and better, especially faster. Love the notification thingy...works great!
    Agree 100%!!!
    Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P -> Palm Pre
    also "alot" isn't a word - "a lot" is correct.
    alot is a word, just not the right one for how it was used. It means to allocate. :P

Man - this thread has more grammar/spelling posts than on-topic ones!

I tend not to leave lots of apps open, so really, I don't care that much. Speed is one thing, but having 50 apps open? Could care less. I don't think I've ever had more than 4 or 5... Maybe with messaging (with the new card per convo patch) I've had 6 (including email and a browser). So, the extra cards capability isn't a big deal. On the other hand, if one or two apps that are pigs were faster, then I'd be envious. (OK, I'm still a little bit envious, but not that much....)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    alot is a word, just not the right one for how it was used. It means to allocate. :P
    Actually that's "allot" with two L's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast