Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Of course this and $8 will get you a cup of coffee at Starrbucks but...

this week three different sprint reps at two different stores (one was the pre "advocate," one was the official repair guy who has been very reliable in past and one was store manager) told me that they have been told by Sprint that Sprint would be getting an upgraded palm phone (they did not say pre plus) this summer.

now pass that double shot grande mocha...

separate note: the repair guy said they have been told by Sprint to "discourage" customers from seeking replacement phones due to cracks at USB port since it does not impair function...
    They don't want us to get cracks caused by a design flaw fixed? That's a bit ridiculous. It's true that it doesn't impair function, but that should definitely be covered by the warrentee lol
    I just got my day one pre replaced yesterday without one word....I actually was prepared for a fight and they didn't say a word, except "it'll be about an hour. I had cracks on both sides and I never dropped it.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    this week three different sprint reps at two different stores (one was the pre "advocate," one was the official repair guy who has been very reliable in past and one was store manager) told me that they have been told by Sprint that Sprint would be getting an upgraded palm phone (they did not say pre plus) this summer.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Sprint "S/P" customers, who bought a launch day Pre, will be able to upgrade to a new phone in June, this way there's something for them, (us), to upgrade TO. ;-)

The real question is, what will it be? ...a Pre Plus? ....a Pre Pro? ...a Pre 2?
  5.    #5  
    the repair guy did tell me he was replacing the USB cracked phones when that's what the customer wanted, but was joking about the directive to discourage people. His take was "if I spent $300 or more on a phone, I would want one without cracks!" good guy
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Sprint "S/P" customers, who bought a launch day Pre, will be able to upgrade to a new phone in June, this way there's something for them, (us), to upgrade TO. ;-)

The real question is, what will it be? ...a Pre Plus? ....a Pre Pro? ...a Pre 2?
    yeah that's what has me thinking. All of them knew all about the pre plus but only said "upgraded palm phone" like that was exactly what they were told by someone. All use pretty much exact same phrase and did NOT say "pre plus". Again, doesn't prove anyrhing but fun stuff anyway
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ...my hope?

A really beefed up, 16gig, Pre w/ micoSD card, running webOS 2.0

...and the funny part? You know all those people *****ing about how it s**ks that Verizon is getting the Pre Plus and Sprint isn't? Well,

The SAME people, (who switched to Verizon from Sprint to get the Plus), will be "weeping and gnashing their teeth", ....again!

I sure hope Palm will show Sprint some "love" this summer. ;-)
    this wouldn't be surprising at all. Palm's been taking a lot of cues from the apple playbook and apple has been very consistent about releasing a new iphone every year to keep people interested. I doubt sprint will get the Pre plus because all the current customers will be running into the stores saying their Pre is messed up and ask for a replacement Pre plus. A Pre 2 is very likely however right around June.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Todd - you're absolutely right. I lot of people who are ticked off at Palm for this new version will be ticked off again later this year if they switch to Verizon. They funny part is everyone who is upset about this and saying it isn't fair, and Palm is screwing people, will be singing a different tune when they can upgrade to a Palm device that is an "upgrade" over the Palm Pre Plus. Suddenly Palm is "showing their loyalty" and such. It a business folks. Palm is in this to make money and sell phones. Remember that (sorry to sound so cynical).
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    ... this week three different sprint reps at two different stores (one was the pre "advocate," one was the official repair guy who has been very reliable in past and one was store manager) ...
    Wow, there are even rumors spreading within Sprint !!!

Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    ... separate note: the repair guy said they have been told by Sprint to "discourage" customers from seeking replacement phones due to cracks at USB port since it does not impair function...
    Now if we can just get them to start a rumor that the USB crack does impair function!

Ideas:
    1. write a program that draws a squiggly line directly underneath the crack and ask the Sprint reps to guess which random color it is. If they guess wrong, demand a replacement of your Pre!
    2. Figure out if any liquids (like sweat) might affect the digitizer sensitivity. Then bring in and either show them or ask them what's wrong!
    3. Find a way to cause the cracks to appear on the store display models - and then see how well that 'sells'
    4. your idea here: __________________________!

Anyway, thanks for starting the rumor. I was just wondering how long it would be before this began!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Well, Palm could care less what carriers have which device. It is the carriers that care that their device is better than the other carriers. Don't be surprised if part of that "exclusivity" deal with VZW does not limit what other carriers might get from Palm. We do not have a time limit on the exlusivity deal either -- with Sprint we knew right up front it was six months. Who knows it might be a year for VZW. And VZW would not be stupid enough to think that Palm would develop a Pre Plus Plus.

I hate to be a downer, but is been a ***** of a day, but I think Sprint will have to wait a year for a new device.
    I am still happy with my Pre. After seeing Dieters review on the Plus yesterday, I am even more convinced that I won't die of Pre Plus envy.

Why?

1. The increase in speed seemed negligible to me, especially for every day activities. The few seconds that Need for Speed started up faster on the Plus won't kill me, although it is annoying that I usually have to restart my phone to start a 3d game on my Pre.
    2. While the extra storage memory would be nice, I really don't need it yet...I can hold out to what ever Sprint/Palm will have in store for us next year when I am due for an upgrade.
    3. I don't like paying 10 extra bucks to have Navigation

Sprint is pretty good in my area, but it does have a few holes in its coverage, but that's not enough for me to make the jump to big red.

I guess we'll know more this summer....will it be a refresh beyond the Plus, or a truly whole new beast?
    I think it made a fair bit of sense for Palm to launch the Pre and Pixi (Plus) on Verizon (and presumably AT&T as well in the near future) since the bar has been raised competitively, so to speak, with the Droid and iPhone 3GS, and if the Pre/Pixi had launched as is, they wouldn't have particularly stood out amongst the bazillions of other phones Verizon offers.

Now, especially with the 3G wifi hub feature, they actually are differentiated enough to make an impression.

As for the "Pre 2" I think it's interesting to note that nothing has really been said about it lately. If it were going to launch this year, I would think that Palm would want to reveal at a major conference. Since this year's MWC is rumored to largely be about Microsoft; I would wonder then, when they would announce it.
    Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P -> Palm Pre
    Mine is cracked right around the usb area. I thot it might have been when the pre slid off the see and hit the passenger door. It wasn't very hard, but was the only explanation for why it was cracked.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgiv View Post
    As for the "Pre 2" I think it's interesting to note that nothing has really been said about it lately. If it were going to launch this year, I would think that Palm would want to reveal at a major conference. Since this year's MWC is rumored to largely be about Microsoft; I would wonder then, when they would announce it.
    Announcing early worked for Palm when they simply _had_ to get the market's attention and when they were already planning on phasing out PalmOS devices. Announcing today would be a huge mistake, however--they'd cannibalize sales on both Sprint (bad) and Verizon (even worse). I can only imagine how many people would put aside their purchases until June, which would simply kill Palm.

No, if there's a new device released in June, plan on hearing about it... well... in June.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by drjb74 View Post
    Todd - you're absolutely right. I lot of people who are ticked off at Palm for this new version will be ticked off again later this year if they switch to Verizon. They funny part is everyone who is upset about this and saying it isn't fair, and Palm is screwing people, will be singing a different tune when they can upgrade to a Palm device that is an "upgrade" over the Palm Pre Plus. Suddenly Palm is "showing their loyalty" and such. It a business folks. Palm is in this to make money and sell phones. Remember that (sorry to sound so cynical).

I agree. People b*** and moan and how it bads for the consumers when in fact, that's business. If Palm came out with just the regular Palm Pre on Verizon, it's already 6 or 7 months into the cycle that this unit had in Sprint. Those months are crucial to the life cycle of a product (smartphone) that is in an industry that is moving so fast at this point. Companies have to innovate and update quickly.

The smartphone war kinda reminds me of when SUVs became popular. Remember how fast car companies were churning out the "new" and "improved" of every single SUV there was? It was mind-boggling.

I think as smartphones get smarter and the need grows even more for phones to be able to do "everything" a computer does, it will get even more cut-throat and it will spare no hiccups. I really really hope Palm keeps churning out not just good hardware but innovative software solutions - both on the consumer end and developer's as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    No, if there's a new device released in June, plan on hearing about it... well... in June.
    That seems reasonable, and seems to work fairly well for Apple when it comes to new product releases as well; except it seems, ironically, for the iPhone...

I find it impressive though that nothing has leaked yet about a potential new phone, Palm really seems to do a good job keeping the lid shut tight on that sort of thing- which is too bad for us of course
    Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P -> Palm Pre
    I'm not "predicting" it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pre with 4G wireless come June.
    definitely 4G Pre2 with WebOS 2.0, 16G HDD, 512RAM, 1GHz CPU, same size but with 480x800 resolution. MicroSD slot and front camera..

my wishlist!.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm not "predicting" it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pre with 4G wireless come June.

Well IF they do anything at all, 4g makes a lot of sense. They are promoting the 4g wi-fi cards already and if the rumors of walmart turn out to be true they will have pretty good coverage in a lot of places. 4g is something Sprint has a leg-up on over a lot of other carriers and the Pre would be a good platform for it.

Also remember when Sprint was running the "soon the first 4g Network" ads, they were showing a Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast