Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drjb74 View Post
    It a business folks. Palm is in this to make money and sell phones. Remember that (sorry to sound so cynical).
    Exactly. Which is why I don't think you'll see Sprint with another exclusive. Palm couldn't even break a million sales with the Pre and the Pixi thus far. Why give them another chance?

Rubenstein is a smart guy. I get the feeling Palm used Sprint users as a "beta test", to see how WebOS would be recieved. The reviews on the OS are solid, and the "beta test" worked well.

Like you said. It's a business. Palm is in this to make money, and sell phones. Going with Verizon and AT&T and introducing new hardware to the big carriers gives them a better shot at that.

There is no plausible reason for Palm to introduce exclusives with Sprint when Sprint couldn't even get Palm a million sales. They have no reason to be loyal to Sprint....

You said it yourself. Palm want's to make money. They didn't with Sprint. They won't make that mistake again.

(And I'm a loyal Sprint customer....)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    Exactly. Which is why I don't think you'll see Sprint with another exclusive.
    I agree, its very difficult and unwise to maintain too many different lines of products that are about the same, but slightly different in one way or another. I imagine Palm would want to put every carrier on same level ASAP.

ATT said they will have a pre in H1, that makes me think Palm will want to push Pre 2 out somewhere in June on both ATT and Sprint. and later on VZ in Q1 of 2011.
    Rubenstein is a smart guy. I get the feeling Palm used Sprint users as a "beta test", to see how WebOS would be recieved. The reviews on the OS are solid, and the "beta test" worked well.
    While this might not have been stated explicitly, everyone (including Palm) will tell you (in not so many words) that this is exactly what happened (in order for Palm to stay alive as a company).

Like you said. It's a business. Palm is in this to make money, and sell phones. Going with Verizon and AT&T and introducing new hardware to the big carriers gives them a better shot at that.

... Palm want's to make money. They didn't with Sprint. They won't make that mistake again.
    Again you are totally correct here. Sprint was the carrier who was willing to take the phone with a minimal set of features and others under development. While they never called it a beta, that's just a matter of marketing.

Many of us here knew this even before the Pre was released and we were happy to be early adopters. Verizon likely did not want to tarnish their brand in the same way that Sprint was willing to.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I agree, its very difficult and unwise to maintain too many different lines of products that are about the same, but slightly different in one way or another. I imagine Palm would want to put every carrier on same level ASAP.

ATT said they will have a pre in H1, that makes me think Palm will want to push Pre 2 out somewhere in June on both ATT and Sprint. and later on VZ in Q1 of 2011.

I certainly hope you're right. I'd like to see a hardware refresh for Sprint sooner then later. But then again, I chose my carrier first, then my phone. While I love WebOS, when I'm eligible for an upgrade, and Palm (hypothetically) doesn't have a new device, I'll move on. But if they couldn't get a million sales with Sprint, I just don't see it happening.
    Do you think that because Palm is a small company, that they have the resources to push a new platform out that quickly? I am thinking more like the 4th quarter of 2010, just before Xmas, hope'n I am wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    While this might not have been stated explicitly, everyone (including Palm) will tell you (in not so many words) that this is exactly what happened (in order for Palm to stay alive as a company).

Again you are totally correct here. Sprint was the carrier who was willing to take the phone with a minimal set of features and others under development. While they never called it a beta, that's just a matter of marketing.

Many of us here knew this even before the Pre was released and we were happy to be early adopters. Verizon likely did not want to tarnish their brand in the same way that Sprint was willing to.
    And I'm not saying any of that is a terrible thing. I dig WebOS, and I hope Palm succeeds. I don't feel slighted in the least by the Verizon upgrades. I like my WebOS device. But, again, I like Sprint. Their service, pricing, and coverage work terrific for me. For competitions sake, I want Palm to succeed. I just think from here on out, they will put their eggs in the big guys baskets. Which is a shame, because as I've said, I really like Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Do you think that because Palm is a small company, that they have the resources to push a new platform out that quickly? I am thinking more like the 4th quarter of 2010, just before Xmas, hope'n I am wrong though.
    I'm eligiple for my update in October. So that scenario would work great for me.
    The main thing is I think palm has not reached full strength of the webOS on the Pre. Pre hardware is capable and can do whatever upcoming Pre Plus can, and probably can do whatever Pre 2 can as well.

SO i just dont feel the necessity of hardware refresh, altho I understand thats necessary to maintain the momentum and mindshare of the webOS.
    Last edited by clevin; 01/22/2010 at 01:30 PM.
    And I'm not saying any of that is a terrible thing. ... I just think from here on out, they will put their eggs in the big guys baskets. Which is a shame, because as I've said, I really like Sprint.
    Yep and yep, but I wouldn't rule out Sprint exclusives. I'd rule out betas thinly disguised as exclusives because WebOS is now out of it's "beta" development phase and Palm expects WebOS to carry them for 10-15 years. You're right that Verizon (or whatever carrier who best sells devices) is likely to get preferred priority in the future when carriers are competing for exclusivity.
    The main thing is I think palm has not reached full strength of the webOS on the Pre. Pre hardware is capable and can do whatever upcoming Pre Plus can, and probably can do whatever Pre 2 can as well.

SO i just dont feel the necessity of hardware refresh, altho I understand thats necessary to maintain the momentum and mindshare of the webOS.
    I agree with you, I happy with my Pre and not seeing any reason to change untill Palm introduces a new model. My only concern is with 4g coming out, will Sprint go with another brand to officially launch it?
    My only concern is with 4g coming out, will Sprint go with another brand to officially launch it?
    good question, my feeling is that Palm is still Sprint's best buddy, and Pre is still the best selling device for sprint, so it wouldn't surprise me if a Pre ++ would carry the 4G flag.

but... i think anybody's guess might be just as good as mine at this time. Palm obviously doesn't want VZ's pre plus to get distracted, so whatever is coming up, they are locking their mouths about it for sure, at least for next 4 months....
    good question, my feeling is that Palm is still Sprint's best buddy, and Pre is still the best selling device for sprint, so it wouldn't surprise me if a Pre ++ would carry the 4G flag.

but... i think anybody's guess might be just as good as mine at this time. Palm obviously doesn't want VZ's pre plus to get distracted, so whatever is coming up, they are locking their mouths about it for sure, at least for next 4 months....
    While I do think that sprint is and Palm are very close and Pre2 will probably come out to sprint first I also have to say that I was at the sprint store recently and a guy wanted to buy the Pre and the rep discurridged the customer to buy the Pre because of Hardware flaws.
    I figure Sprint is the beginning of Palm's new phone cycle. In other words Sprint Pre customers will see the "pre2" or whatever they will call it in the summer. Verizon and Att will see an improved version of that phone at some point later in the year or early next year and then the cycle repeats. Depending though on how the Govt rules in the case of exclusivity deals,this "cycle" may longer be relevant for any phone except for an upgraded version every year that all customers regardless of who their carrier is will have access to.

Some people in this forum are betting that it's going to be the HTC Supersonic that leads sprint into the 4g era with it's snapdragon processor.
    Some people in this forum are betting that it's going to be the HTC Supersonic that leads sprint into the 4g era with it's snapdragon processor.
    well, thats possible too.

My head is exploding.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Yep and yep, but I wouldn't rule out Sprint exclusives. I'd rule out betas thinly disguised as exclusives because WebOS is now out of it's "beta" development phase and Palm expects WebOS to carry them for 10-15 years. You're right that Verizon (or whatever carrier who best sells devices) is likely to get preferred priority in the future when carriers are competing for exclusivity.
    Cool. I just didn't want to come off like I was bashing Sprint, or for that matter, Palm.

My upgrade is due in October. Really, all that Palm needs to do for me to upgrade to a new WebOS device at that time is make the Pre Plus available to Sprint by then. I like WebOS that much.

And if they upgrade the hardware further then that, even better.
    My upgrade comes up in December, so I'll have plenty of time to see how things shake out if it is realeased in June.

My question is about this rumored C40. I know that all that we have heard/seen now is just a line on an inventory catalog and a guy saying something to someone somewhere (look for the thread about a member's gf hearing this from the "co-creator" of the pre). If a phone is already showing up in the inventory forms for sprint, shouldn't that tell us that something is advanced enough that it could be released in the next 6 months?

I totally agree with the marketing aspect that Palm will not mention a THING about a Sprint update to make sure that the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus catch on with Verizon. It would be a bad move for Verizon, Palm and to some extent Sprint, they would have too many products in the market for a single one to make a strong splash.

My 2 cents...
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    My view is that Palm felt rushed to get the Pre and WebOS out the door, seeing the Fruit phone cornering the market and Google/Android about to become relevant. They used Sprint as an *alpha* test for WebOS, delivering a phone lacking the basics such as Flash, video recording, and accelerated graphics support for native applications like games. Since Sprint's customer base is smaller than the other carriers, they knew that original purchasers would be limited to Sprint customers and us Palm fans who had to have the latest Palm gadget no matter what basic features it was lacking on launch day. They also knew that we would give them feedback for what direction the product needed to go, be it through public forums like this or through how simple they made it for us to get at the Pre's inner workings to tweak it to make up for Palm's oversights. It got the platform out into our hands, and set the Palm loyalist snowball in motion to develop apps.

The Pre Plus (I'm calling it the P+) is the beta test, expanding the audience to Verizon. Now that the video recorder, Flash, and native apps are all coming to fruition, WebOS is ready for beta testing on Verizon. Those new customers will never know the frustrations of not having Flash or animated GIF images, an app catalog with nothing to sell, and all of the other stuff that we Pre owners were blessed with in the alpha program.

Of course, the question now is what's next with WebOS 2.0 and the P++ when it comes out probably in the late summer or fall? I'm guessing that the P++ will be on AT&T, taking on the Fruit Phone 3G. The platform will be mature enough by then to make iphone users want to switch, and the app catalog and homebrew community will be large enough where there the important apps will be more or less on par. This device will be the real iphone killer when it happens.

As the DIY type, I'm glad that Palm let us be the alpha guinea pigs with the Pre on Sprint, and look forward to wherever they are taking this platform with the P++ and beyond in the future.....
    vreihen, Nice encapsulation of the history for others. The only change I'd recommend is that alpha releases are typically not sent to a large a group of customers as we are. Alphas might be sent only to a small set of users (less than can be counted on one hand with some fingers missing). "Beta" is even a stretch. (They had real beta testers.) But yes, in practice we were really beta testers and the beta testers were really probably alpha testers. Thanks again for the great summary of things!
    Sprint and Palm have a history. That is why the Pre went to Sprint first, and likely why a 4g phone would come to Sprint first as well.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast