Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    There's a guy in another thread that says he had someone remotely convert his Pre over to Cricket (with at least MMS running). I think their "Navigator" is an add-on. Not sure if he tried to use that though.
    my offer stands.
    I think the deal with Palm would keep the carrier from allowing this to happen. Bu t maybe swapping the phones radio might work, if you know how to do that kind of stuff. I did it between two moto q9s that I had before and I was able to keep the phone activated with sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    I think the deal with Palm would keep the carrier from allowing this to happen. Bu t maybe swapping the phones radio might work, if you know how to do that kind of stuff. I did it between two moto q9s that I had before and I was able to keep the phone activated with sprint.
    yeah, cause you never swapped ESN's, just radio's.
    search my recent posts, i am not here often but its definitely possible to do since basically all the OEM's use the same radio codebase, its very generic with entries for many phones/series and carriers.which is what Sprint will see on their end so technically its just matter of finding were the ESN is located and patching it with a donor phone, if you used a standard pre i'm willing to be you have much less headache than I ended up going through with mine. 16GB NAND replacement that i'm working on does actually work....sorta. i'm fairly certain its an issue of drivers in the kernel. I havnt have time to dig into any code thats provided from palm to see if it can be tweaked to work with the newer NAND flash. its funny though because if i take pictures or view the flash from the phone itself their is no issue storing things to the USB drive so the chip I installed is doing something, windows is having issues reading it after a format though which i'll tackle one of these days when i'm not too busy.
    i know where the little metal VIN tag is on my car, but that doesn't mean i can legally change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Just wait a few months. It'll be on Sprint soon enough, trust me...

Thats what the Sprint employee told me when I was having my 4th Pre replaced. He said about March/April the upgraded Pre model would be available for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    search my recent posts, i am not here often but its definitely possible to do since basically all the OEM's use the same radio codebase, its very generic with entries for many phones/series and carriers.which is what Sprint will see on their end so technically its just matter of finding were the ESN is located and patching it with a donor phone, if you used a standard pre i'm willing to be you have much less headache than I ended up going through with mine. 16GB NAND replacement that i'm working on does actually work....sorta. i'm fairly certain its an issue of drivers in the kernel. I havnt have time to dig into any code thats provided from palm to see if it can be tweaked to work with the newer NAND flash. its funny though because if i take pictures or view the flash from the phone itself their is no issue storing things to the USB drive so the chip I installed is doing something, windows is having issues reading it after a format though which i'll tackle one of these days when i'm not too busy.
    You should try switching the comm. board from the Pre Plus to the original Pre. Therefore you inherit the 16gb memory and the increased RAM as well. Sounds easy enough, but is it possible? I think so. :P Hopefully I'll get a chance to try sometime soon!
    Rather than being a technical issue, this sounds more like a social engineering issue. If you knew the right tech at Sprint, who would be willing to add your ESN to their list of valid ESNs, you're golden and you can simply go online to Sprint website and activate that ESN on your account. Sounds simple enough, but the rub is finding someone who is willing to do that for you
    Well I would like you to say that I am willing to sleep with any hot Sprint employee (girl) if she would do this for me. = )
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I call BS to anyone who says they can't take a phone from Sprint to VZW or back. But I may be speaking out of my ***, we'll see. I'll either get it working, or I'll have a very expensive plaything.
    Am I missing something here, wouldn't Sprint rather keep you as a customer (and let you use what ever device) then loose the revenue?? Sounds simple to me, but there must be something I don't know. Sprint and Verizon should allow the switching of hardware, regardless of the make or model. As long as the device doesn't adversely effect the network, its money thats staying with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    I call BS to anyone who says they can't take a phone from Sprint to VZW or back. But I may be speaking out of my ***, we'll see. I'll either get it working, or I'll have a very expensive plaything.
    Ok, go buy a Verizon Pre at full price and try to activate it on Sprint. Tell us what happens.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Ok, go buy a Verizon Pre at full price and try to activate it on Sprint. Tell us what happens.
    I'm GOING to.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-755p-vzw.html
    Last edited by rposa; 01/22/2010 at 02:37 PM.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Sprint$ $techs$ can't add ESN's to the database, even if they wanted to.

The reason it's possible to get Sprint phones on Verizon is because Verizon will add ESN's to their system if the phone is deemed "compatible" with their network. But even then... they leave all issues up to the customer. Can't make phone calls? Fix it yourself. Can't text? Fix it yourself.

The only way to get a Pre Plus on Sprint would be to change the ESN. This is certainly possible, but it's tricky as a webOS update can "brick" the phone. (Recoverable but dangerous).

So, if you are
    (1) Willing to pay full price
    (2) Competent in using QPST and QXDM to alter the phone/radio firmware
    (3) Willing to carry a $400 phone without insurance
    (4) Willing to go through the hassle of getting data provisioned on an altered phone, and
    (5) Willing to deal with possible bricking during webOS updates

Then yes, you can get a Pre Plus on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    We'll see.

Price I'm not worried about. If it works, I'll sell my Pre that I carry now, and I have another I'm trading some stuff for (that's a fully legit and non-blacklisted) that I can sell. Cost offset.

I'm not going to take plastic off, it's not going to get scratched or anything. So if it becomes evident that it will not work, it'll get sold on eBay. Or I might port it to Cricket, and sell it to someone and make them very happy. Not sold as new, but sold as opened/used/perfect condition.

Look, I'm willing to take a risk here. Sure, it might backfire and I eat it. But if I succeed, I'm sure that my instructions will enable others here to do the same.

The Treo switchover was NOT in the phone radio at all. I re-flashed JUST the phone radio and got it to "kind of" work. The real secret to that sauce was in the OS itself. Under the covers it's all CDMA. Sprint roams to VZW. VZW roams to Sprint. It's just in how it gets provisioned. But we don't know this about the Pre (maybe someone does). I'm going to learn it.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Just wait a few months. It'll be on Sprint soon enough, trust me...
    I hope not.....

Cause I want the Pre 2 instead, with a 6mnt exclusive again
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Won't work.

The issue with cross-carrier phones has never been the phone or data, it's that Sprint will not activate a device outside of their ESN pool. I used to be big into the Motorola modding scene on CDMA, I've flashed V3m's, V3c's, E815's, V265's, etc, all with other carriers' firmwares -- Verizon, Alltel, Sprint, Cricket, MetroPCS, US Cellular, Bell, Telus, unbranded, if it's out there I've done it. Voice is easy, it works out of the box practically, data is hard but doable. But again, bottom line, it's useless if Sprint won't activate the phone on your account, and they won't.

I ran a Bell E815 on Verizon and cross-flashed my Verizon V3m with Alltel and both worked, but Verizon is not Sprint.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ESN sent via software (to the Sprint network)? So as long as you have a Sprint-activated phone and a Verizon phone, you could take the ESN from the Sprint phone and use it on Verizon, no?
    no.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    How do unlocked CDMA Pre's work then?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast