Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    I've got an AT&T Pre+ on Vodafone. Yes I know it's the wrong frequency, just got caught up in an eBay impulse moment. 3G works in the Melbourne CBD though but otherwise I'm rocking 2G EDGE and wi-fi.

Somewhat off topic but who has the best scheme to activate an EU Pre 2 in the US? I can get it done in Canada, would that still give me access to the US store with paid apps via a Canadian CC?
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by raiamino View Post
    Somewhat off topic but who has the best scheme to activate an EU Pre 2 in the US? I can get it done in Canada, would that still give me access to the US store with paid apps via a Canadian CC?
    You would still have the problem of US payment to resolve. (search on Simon Mall card)
    Not really I have access to a Canadian credit card which can be used for US purchases If I remember correctly.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Bear in mind -- if you activate it in Canada, you would not gain access to the App stores as an American user -- rather, as a Canadian. If you're going to all the trouble to get a phone activated overseas, I'd recommend having it activated States-Side.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Picked up a Pre 2 now that I'm forced to have a work phone. Not worried about paid apps though, I've determined from my Pre Plus that I don't have any great need for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by raiamino View Post
    I've got an AT&T Pre+ on Vodafone. Yes I know it's the wrong frequency, just got caught up in an eBay impulse moment. 3G works in the Melbourne CBD though but otherwise I'm rocking 2G EDGE and wi-fi.
    Vodafone have 1500 odd 850MHz repeaters in capital cities around Aus. see: Vodafone Network Plans Promise Speed, Spell End For 3 | Lifehacker Australia

I was wondering if the Pre2 worked on those. :-) My company is going to go from Voda to Telstra in July 2011, I guess I can get my Pre2 early :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Thanks. Yes, doing that. The spacer definitely works. I just need to establish what thickness that I should use before diving in behind the tape.
    Both my touchstones (from different supply sources one from HK one from USA) have this problem, I just cut a neat circle out of a matt black Business Card, and stuck it on with thin dble sided tape, you hardly notice it.

I have a feeling the magnets are too strong and they suck the back of the phone (the contacts) away from the battery?

8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Both my touchstones (from different supply sources one from HK one from USA) have this problem, I just cut a neat circle out of a matt black Business Card, and stuck it on with thin dble sided tape, you hardly notice it.

I have a feeling the magnets are too strong and they suck the back of the phone (the contacts) away from the battery?
    So you are saying that you stuck the circle on the Touchstone?

I would not have thought that the magnet would be strong enough to distort the cover. I like Richard's theory from the thread quoted above, that it has to do with the space between the Touchstone and the coil? Putting the spacer under the coil inside the back cover certainly solved my problems.
    Last edited by johncc; 12/06/2010 at 05:00 PM.
  9.    #149  
    Vodafone have 1500 odd 850MHz repeaters in capital cities around Aus. see: Vodafone Network Plans Promise Speed, Spell End For 3 | Lifehacker Australia

I was wondering if the Pre2 worked on those. :-) My company is going to go from Voda to Telstra in July 2011, I guess I can get my Pre2 early :-)
    According to the article they haven't got the 850MHz towers yet.

VHA’s (Vodaphone's) plans include 900 new urban and 500 new regional sites for its existing 3G network, and 1,500 new 850MHz network sites aimed at broadband users.
    According to the article they haven't got the 850MHz towers yet.
    The article is a bit old, they definitely have 850mhz cells operating

There is a big long thread on whirlpool about it, but: following is a quote from the thread.

You can go here: Mobile Carriers Forum - National Site Archive.

Choose "Guest Login", and in the search box type:
    "UM3" for Melbourne
    "US2" for Sydney
    "UB4" for Brisbane
    "UC2" for Canberra
    "UP6" for Perth; and
    "UA5" for Adelaide (all without the " ).

or

Australian Geographical RadioFrequency Map - BETA
    then in the filter put Emission Designator 3M79G7E
    and another filter for Emission Designator 6M31G7E
    All the listed towers are voda 850Mhz towers
    Looks like Melbourne and Sydney are pretty well covered with 850Mhz

So you are saying that you stuck the circle on the Touchstone?....................Putting the spacer under the coil inside the back cover certainly solved my problems.
    Hmmm yep I put the disc on the touchstone? so you put it inside the back cover? Yes that certainly messes with my theory :-)

Just read the thread, interesting? Did your back cover go back together easily?
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 12/06/2010 at 07:24 PM.

12.    #152  
    Hmmm yep I put the disc on the touchstone? so you put it inside the back cover? Yes that certainly messes with my theory :-)

Just read the thread, interesting? Did your back cover go back together easily?
    Yes. The parts are just held with tacky adhesive. Carefully peel back the black tape, keeping the foil attached if possible, to expose the coil. Leave the tape attached to aid re-location. Carefully prise up the coil, insert a doughnut shaped spacer matching the coil dimensions and then press everything back in place and secure with the black tape.

Mine behaves perfectly now. No suplus ding-dongs.
    What did you use for the spacer?

14.    #154  
    Built up a thickness using adhesive labels (8) on the Touchstone until it did the job, cut my spacer from that. Figured that the adhesive would keep it in place when installed.
    ..............using adhesive labels..
    Clever

Hi All, I bought 2 touchstones from precentral. Both touchstones had problems. One wouldn't charge at all and the other would constantly cycle. I sent the non functional touchstone back (should have sent both back in hindsight). Precentral were pretty good with the return. The reason is, I bought the touchstones about a week or two before I bought my Pre on ebay. Unfortunately, by the time I got the Pre it was outside the precentral return policy time limit. However, they took it back and replaced it.

Interestingly the replacement came with slightly updated packaging (suggesting there was probably a revision of the product at some stage). The new one came with a clear plastic cap (fitted for protection during transit I suspect). All I did with the touchstone that was constantly cycling was fitted the plastic cap (from the newer touchstone) onto it and have never had a problem again.
    Built up a thickness using adhesive labels (8) on the Touchstone until it did the job, cut my spacer from that. Figured that the adhesive would keep it in place when installed.
    Just performed the surgery :-) Very Happy... Now I can see the Palm logo on my touchstones again!

Rod and raiamino I'll ask this here, because I think it may be of interest to others.
    I believe your both on Vodafone, and I know raiamino has a USA (AT&T) Pre2, Rod, do you have a USA (AT&T) Pre2?
    I'm wondering if both of you are finding a generally acceptable level of 3G coverage in the capital cities in Aus, now that Voda are expanding their 850mhz network?

19.    #159  
    Just performed the surgery :-) Very Happy... Now I can see the Palm logo on my touchstones again!
    Congratulations!
    Just saw the new HP web connected printers advt on the today show (here in Australia) featuring a Palm Pre :-)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678