Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 160
  1. #41  
    'bweather' is a FANTASTIC app that was available on the app catalog before the region differences came into effect. The developer assures me they're submitting it for international and it should be in there soon. keep an eye out for it, for the short while i had it it was quite accurate and very pretty!

    .[/QUOTE]

    bweather is in the app catalog and also @preware,(on a gsm o2 uk pre) been useing it since nov 09 and had no problems, works well
  2. #42  
    Movistar ES, on Virgin Mobile. (No problems with it either.) I see 183 apps as of today.
  3. darrylp's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #43  
    As I cannot find bweather in the app catalog please tell me where to look?

    Thanks darryl
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrylp View Post
    As I cannot find bweather in the app catalog please tell me where to look?

    Thanks darryl
    Looks like UK only. Don't see it on my Movistar Pre either.
  5. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #45  
    well! something to look forward to. If past events are any indication, if bweather is on the uk catalog it should make its way to deutsch and espanga catalogs in the next few days...
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  6. #46  
    do you have preware? as it gets the feed from the app catalog so your should have no trouble finding it as its been there for ages and i just got a update today (have 1.3.2 gsm) also shows 317 apps
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by boyblueeye View Post
    do you have preware? as it gets the feed from the app catalog so your should have no trouble finding it as its been there for ages and i just got a update today (have 1.3.2 gsm) also shows 317 apps
    I can see it in Preware, but when I attempt to install I get the dreaded "This application is not available in your country." message. (Movistar ES unlocked)
  8. fakemirror
    fakemirror's Avatar
    #48  
    Firstly, let me say that I think it is an excellent initiative by 'johncc' to put up a thread specifically pulling together the OZ Pre user community.

    Just a quick backgrounder here, before I make my point -

    I have been a Palm Loyalist since Jeff Hawkins invented the thing. I believe that PalmOS PIMS were one of the most useful things I have ever encountered. Even today, I still operate 4 PalmOS Tungsten, Zire and Centro devices.

    More recently I've been a Pre user (in Australia) for several months. I have happily operated a Sprint CDMA Pre on WiFi since webOS 1.1.0. This Pre runs the current version 1.3.5.1. It is backed up daily to Palm's servers

    Now then, to the point: the App Catalog -

    As this is a Sprint Pre, I have had access to all iterations of the full USA Catalog (Beta through to current version). I have purchased a number of Apps, including my favourite, MotionApps Classic at $29.95 (not a cheap App this one). All was fine, until after updating to webOS 1.3.5.1, half the USA Catalog in no longer available on my phone - just simply not there. These same apps are no longer known to my Palm Profile either, and will not restore to the phone after reset/doctor or whatever.

    So, we doctored back to webOS 1.3.1 and 1.2.1, and 1.1.0 and checked the App Catalog under those versions - still the same problem. Created new Palm Profile - same problem.

    So, half the App Catalog missing, many of my apps disappeared and cannot be restored and NO assistance available from Palm because Asia/Pacific is not supported. Palm will not even respond.

    Motionapps were responsive about Classic, but cannot resolve the issue, as it is a problem with Palm's App Catalog.

    And so, dear Aussies, be aware that Pre Central's forums are awash with problems, complaints and vagaries relating to Palm's App Catalog. It is technically flakey, geo-dispersed, poorly managed, and in my view, has very few worthwhile apps.

    Yes, you will be able to purchase apps for your imported GSM Pres when your designated 'geo App Catalog' permits this in the future - however you run a significant risk in suddenly losing those apps due to some technical glitch with any webOS update down the track.
  9. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #49  
    erm... not to nitpick fakemirror... but the first aussie thread was started by yours truly. it more about how to get a qwerty pre.

    it was great for johncc to get one up bringing together people who already own them, tho. turning into a great thread
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  10. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #50  
    "Yes, you will be able to purchase apps for your imported GSM Pres when your designated 'geo App Catalog' permits this in the future - however you run a significant risk in suddenly losing those apps due to some technical glitch with any webOS update down the track. "

    all too true, really. i like the Geo App Catalog term, hehe. that sums it up.

    boyblueeye, i don't have preware. i prefer to run stock. i've been tempted by preware but most of the good homebrew apps are actually becoming catalog apps, and i can live without the tweaks... it's just too much trouble. and as johncc pointed out, even if it allows you to see apps, it doesn't necessarily allow u to install them.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  11. fakemirror
    fakemirror's Avatar
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    erm... not to nitpick fakemirror... but the first aussie thread was started by yours truly. it more about how to get a qwerty pre.

    it was great for johncc to get one up bringing together people who already own them, tho. turning into a great thread
    My apology bennish, I had not seen your thread re Aussie QWERTY Pre, though now I have. Anyways the more engagement from Oz, the more we will learn from each other.
    btw...I grew up in your Garden City. I think it is an excellent place to live !
  12. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #52  
    np fakemirror. and yes toowoomba sure is. i grew up in sydney! looks like we swapped!
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  13. kiwiterry's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #53  
    Just to let you Ozzies know, your cousins over the ditch are watching this thread too. I'd be interested if any other Kiwi's had pre's. Ok, Ok I know I shouldn't hijack your thread and should start another but I'd probably be embarrassed by the lack of response!
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiterry View Post
    Just to let you Ozzies know, your cousins over the ditch are watching this thread too. I'd be interested if any other Kiwi's had pre's. Ok, Ok I know I shouldn't hijack your thread and should start another but I'd probably be embarrassed by the lack of response!
    That's okay. Kiwi's can play too. Let's know the details and I'll add you to the 1st post.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

    boyblueeye, i don't have preware. i prefer to run stock. i've been tempted by preware but most of the good homebrew apps are actually becoming catalog apps, and i can live without the tweaks... it's just too much trouble. and as johncc pointed out, even if it allows you to see apps, it doesn't necessarily allow u to install them.
    i dont think i would be as half as happy with the pre if i didnt have preware, cos it just makes it so easy to add patchs etc to the phone, things that i think that should have come standard. but i must amit i perfer preware before it was updated when it didnt grab the feeds cos a) it takes longer to load & b) you get app/install message saying you cant get this app.

    at one point i was dieing for march to come for the paid apps now after doing a seach on the net for ipk's i can wait cos of the seach results i found

    i find it interesting about how some gsm pres users cant get the same apps as others in Oz (uk o2 vs movistar ES)

    it must a firmware thing cos when i had sprint firmware on my gsm pre(did it by mistake) i had yahoo IM plus other sprint apps but when i dr'ed my pre back to o2 gsm frimware i didnt have yahoo IM Etc also i now get email spam coming where on sprint firmware i didnt(same yahoo email account)
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by boyblueeye View Post
    i dont think i would be as half as happy with the pre if i didnt have preware, cos it just makes it so easy to add patchs etc to the phone, things that i think that should have come standard. but i must amit i perfer preware before it was updated when it didnt grab the feeds cos a) it takes longer to load & b) you get app/install message saying you cant get this app.

    at one point i was dieing for march to come for the paid apps now after doing a seach on the net for ipk's i can wait cos of the seach results i found

    i find it interesting about how some gsm pres users cant get the same apps as others in Oz (uk o2 vs movistar ES)

    it must a firmware thing cos when i had sprint firmware on my gsm pre(did it by mistake) i had yahoo IM plus other sprint apps but when i dr'ed my pre back to o2 gsm frimware i didnt have yahoo IM Etc also i now get email spam coming where on sprint firmware i didnt(same yahoo email account)
    I share your opinion of Preware. It's a must have for me. Even if just for the LED notifications patch. But that's only 1 of 14 that I have installed. Now that AUPT means that you don't have to uninstall and reinstall with each update it's even better. I generally have the Palm App Catalog feed deselected so that I don't try to download programs that are not accessible to me.

    The Catalog access is a bit of a mystery. A couple of the factors seem to be the hardware and the country selected in the profile activation.
  17. #57  
    mmm thanks for the tip about the feeds i didnt know that, in regards to the profiles i have a 2 (us & Uk)
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by boyblueeye View Post
    but i must amit i perfer preware before it was updated when it didnt grab the feeds cos a) it takes longer to load & b) you get app/install message saying you cant get this app.
    Why does no-one read the initial splash screen that Preware displays when you install it, which specifically tells you about the Preferences and Manage Feeds pages?

    Was it a complete waste of my time to put that help text in there?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Why does no-one read the initial splash screen that Preware displays when you install it, which specifically tells you about the Preferences and Manage Feeds pages?

    Was it a complete waste of my time to put that help text in there?

    -- Rod
    You should know that real men don't read instructions Rod.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by boyblueeye View Post
    mmm thanks for the tip about the feeds i didnt know that, in regards to the profiles i have a 2 (us & Uk)
    Are they used on the same phone? If so, what are the Catalog differences?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions