1.    #1  
    Mobile hotspot, Verizon signal strength, multiple cards open seem to be winning points (along with Sprint Pre positives of elegance of webos and notifications). Engadget notes gaming apps are equal to iphone and seems to be optimistic about future apps.

Major utility con seems to be short battery life, especially with mobile hotspot.
    Other cons seem to be more minor and a matter of preference (key "clickiness", usb cover etc).

Pixi incites much less enthusiasm than the Pre except for the keyboard.

engadget review here:
    Palm Pre Plus (and Pixi Plus) review -- Engadget

NYT review here:
    State of the Art - Palm Provides Plenty of P’s With Improved Phones - NYTimes.com

don't forget to read the excellent and thorough precentral review by Dieter, complete with video, good job!
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/20/2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: minor editing mistake
    I am surprised that the NYT review didn't mention the 3D games. Otherwise it was a pretty good review. The engadget review was a little less glowing than I thought it would be after what they were saying at CES, but still good. Hopefully, with 1.4, the Pre+ will become Verizon's flagship phone for a while.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  3. sko
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Engadet ripped the Pre a new one.
    Yeah that was BS....Josh at CES had a podcast and was raving about it and now was half ***. Fickle Josh....Cant wait till the 25th I will be buying one!!!
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skohcl View Post
    While I agree with some of Engadget's problems, mentioning ALL of your complaints in a little review on the #1 visited gadget site seems a little harsh. I don't think the review will sell a lot of people a Pre, while my guess is the reviewer likes the system much more than it seems..
    I just read all the reviews I could find and I stand by my decision to pick one up on the 25th if not sooner.

Precentral- Very Positive
    NY Times- Very positive
    CNET- Very Positive
    Mobile Tech Review- Very Positive
    Slashgear- Positive
    Engadget - Pretty Positive
    Gizmodo- Pretty Positive

Good bye AT&T and iPhone. Hopefully not for long I would love a backup iPhone on Verizon!!

P.S. I am truly jealous of Dieter right now!!
    Last edited by gladesmellzgood; 01/21/2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: adding more info instead of double post
  7.    #7  
    USA Today also has a review of the Pre Plus.

While positive on the phone (the reviewer wrote a manual for the original Pre and titled his review "a pretty cool phone"), he seems to say the increased prices on Verizon vs Sprint, the price for the mobile spot w/o Verizon including for free additional downloading over the original capacity, and the lower battery life while using the mobile, suggest that Sprint owners think twice before switching. He also would like more apps but didn't mention which apps he would like.
    Other quibbles were more minor (seemed to have trouble with the touchstone)
    and strangely enough, said no video camera without mentioning the new software upgrade (for a guy who wrote a manual on this phone, seems to be somewhat misinformed)

Palm's new Pre Plus is a pretty cool tool - USATODAY.com
    As a long time reader of Engadet, if it's not a Apple product, they always give less than glowing reviews. If I remember correctly when the original Pre came out, their major gripe was that the slide out keyboard edges were too sharp, and they actually sliced a block a cheese with it. Any long time reader of theirs knows they are Apple fan boys and any product that threatens it, they throw cheap shots at, in with their reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by skohcl View Post
    no they didn't.

in the review, they linked to their original review of the Pre and it was a favorable one.

this review is specific to the Pre Plus. with that being said, it's not that the review was wholly negative. it was saying what a lot of us here have been saying. yes, the Pre Plus is an improvement over the original, but it's not worth switching carriers over.

the improvements as a whole, are minor.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I'm sure the Boy Genius Report will give it a bad review.
    I thought that the Engadget review was somewhat positive overall and fair for the most part. Did I think that they went overboard with THEIR preferred nitpicks? Sure, b/c most non-geeky users aren't going to care about most of the things Engadget picked on, save for the email app.

CNET and NYT seemed to strike a more non-techie review for potential buyers. I haven't read the others. One thing I found funny in the NYT review is the author says right off the bat how he doesn't understand why Palm's elegant phones aren't more popular. That's an easy answer. They're on Sprint and the advertising has been lackluster and not very widespread at best.

Personally, I'm itching to get at the Pixi on ATT.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    I'm sure the Boy Genius Report will give it a bad review.
    hehe. Yeah, after he is done comparing it to the Iphone. And then Walt Mossberg will review and also compare it to the Iphone. Funny how many of the reviews barely mention the Iphone but BGR and Walt will somehow integrate the Iphone into every paragraph of the review.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Am I the only one who has never had a probably with the Charger door?

Like at ALL?

I actually finally just ordered a Touchstone today though.
    Last edited by Brain Mantis; 01/21/2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Like at ALL?

ive never had a problem with it either other than it being a bit tricky to get a fingernail inbetween the door and the body of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Like at ALL?

Nope. I had trouble for the first few days, it was really stiff and and tricky to get out, but now I have no problems. Slide the phone open and I can open the door no problem.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Even people who have lost their cover....mine has never come close to coming out....how hard are people pulling it?
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    As a long time reader of Engadet, if it's not a Apple product, they always give less than glowing reviews. If I remember correctly when the original Pre came out, their major gripe was that the slide out keyboard edges were too sharp, and they actually sliced a block a cheese with it. Any long time reader of theirs knows they are Apple fan boys and any product that threatens it, they throw cheap shots at, in with their reviews.
    You are thinking about Gizmodo's review. They are the only ones who mentioned the cheese thing and are more biased toward the iPhone than Engadget.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    ive never had a problem with it either other than it being a bit tricky to get a fingernail inbetween the door and the body of the phone.
    It's much easier to slide open the phone first then open the charger door.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    You are thinking about Gizmodo's review. They are the only ones who mentioned the cheese thing and are more biased toward the iPhone than Engadget.
    yeah, gizmodo quoted a review about typing speed on keyboard, treo keyboard, iphone keyboard, etc.

its obviously up to each individual, even the guy who did the test said thats his own experience, gizmodo put it up and call it a fair comparison. Thats just stupid and meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    yeah, gizmodo quoted a review about typing speed on keyboard, treo keyboard, iphone keyboard, etc.

its obviously up to each individual, even the guy who did the test said thats his own experience, gizmodo put it up and call it a fair comparison. Thats just stupid and meaningless.
    Wow, yet another reason I stopped reading Gizmodo.