Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    after the front page review, I decided to stress test my phone again.
    the highest I've gotten up to before was around 30 or so (including intensive apps).

this time I managed to open 42 different processes.
    40 of those cards were the browser and the other two were the phone app and stock music player.

I'm sure the pre plus could manage even more than fifty.
    anyone else?

note: it did take about a minute or so, probably a bit less, for every card to fully render once I started inching up higher.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    do you have patches installed ?
    does opening different tabs of browser really represent as multiple apps?

I opened about 12 before the memory is up, I did reboot my Pre yesterday when I performed my bi-weekly battery swap.

I opened
    browser, calendar, email, IM, weatherbug, camera, note, stopwatch, fandango, advCalc, nytimes app, tealshopper,
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    do you have patches installed ?
    I have several patches and my pre is clocked to 600mhz.

for what it's worth, along with blockchalk, doom, quake, music player, messenger, phone, the app catalog, visualboyadvance and glad that's not me, I was able to open about five dozen instances of the browser.

I'll note that this ground the os to a halt, though. the clock froze and it took forever for the phone to register commands or even light up the keyboard when open.

it didn't even register the battery charging when I plugged it in.

quake is an interesting one to run. it doesn't auto-pause when in card view. running two instances of quake causes the sound to cancel out, too. try it.

it'd be interesting to see how efficiently multiple processes can run as palm continues to optimize webOS.

I wonder of what significance the card errors other people seem to receive is due to lazy app coding...?

edit:
    I like to use the browser as an example because of how quickly it responds to launch commands and the fact it's one of the few apps you can open multiple instances of.

this time I opened 23 apps:
    browser (this page actually)
    messenger
    music player
    glad that's not me
    visualboyadvance
    guitarist's reference pro
    email
    calendar
    camera
    contacts
    mezzoman
    google maps
    sunrise/sunset
    converter
    app catalog
    memos
    tasks
    friendsbook
    nfl mobile live
    pdf view
    local news (and it downloaded feeds)
    swap&drop
    and finally solitaire.
    Last edited by rayln; 01/20/2010 at 10:19 PM.
    pretty soon yall gonna be doin 1hunned!!

Haha
    Ebonics are cool.
    27 apps until it gave me the card warning.
    All different apps.
    Last edited by sjsamphex; 01/20/2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: number
    it seems obvious that different app require different amount of memory, maybe we should come up with a set of apps for a more accurate test?
    I fear that this is going to devolve into a silly numbers game, completely unrelated to reality. It's like the gamers who spend copious amounts of time and money tweaking their systems, overclocking GPUs and CPUs and RAM to squeeze out a couple extra frames per second. Of course, anything over 60 isn't noticeable to the human eye, but they're just not happy until they're pushing 100.*

In this case, it'll be how many cards one can open with the Pre vs. the Pre Plus, regardless of the fact that there's a practical limit to how many applications one could possibly need open at a time. And, worse yet, some Pre owners will whine and moan that Palm has betrayed them by releasing a device that can open 50 cards when theirs will only open 25.

Egads.

*Yes, I realize that part of the point of all the tweaking is that some games really tax the system and at times can drop below 60 fps. So, work is done to make sure that 60 fps is a minimum, not an average. Understood. But still...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    There are other factors that are difficult to pin down when it comes to trying to test this.

Seems if you open a lot of cards right after another you can load a few more. If you have 4 or 5 cards with the email app open for a while, I'll sometimes get the error if I try to open another card after that.

So what those cards are doing is as much a factor as total number of cards.
    By the way, my record is 24 cards.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    In this case, it'll be how many cards one can open with the Pre vs. the Pre Plus, regardless of the fact that there's a practical limit to how many applications one could possibly need open at a time.
    haha, agreed, but still, tech geeks inside each every one of us want something like this.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    it seems obvious that different app require different amount of memory, maybe we should come up with a set of apps for a more accurate test?
    ok.
    how about quake? it seems to be a pretty resource intensive app as it keeps running, sound and all, even in card view.

I was able to open 13 simultaneous instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    27 apps until it gave me the card warning.
    All different apps.
    I got 26 different apps.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    now after a reboot I got 27 open,

browser/im/email/calendar/music/memo/camera/contact/map/nfl/pdf/task/calculator/nytimes/clock/app catalog/bweather/bubble/battery monitor/digiclock/flight view/translator/virtual keyboard/shape cal/time piece/uber password/flash light/

Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    ok.
    how about quake? it seems to be a pretty resource intensive app as it keeps running, sound and all, even in card view.

I was able to open 13 simultaneous instances.
    its good, but quake is on homebrew so not everybody have it, I actually remove them several days ago from my Pre. But I can totally see running about 10+ apps along side with it.
    i only got 26 cards open until i got the message. but its not like i can use all of them for the most part i have about 5 running. i still dont see the whole deal with the extra ram

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    22 cards for me..only need 5 tops
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    I have several patches and my pre is clocked to 600mhz.
    thanks for the report, I have to try that patch.
    14 i tested last night only once.

Need for speed
    messaging
    email
    google maps
    videos
    music
    contacts
    email
    wobble words
    zilch lite
    spit