View Poll Results: Does your Pre work during hands-free calls in your car?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 60.71%
  • No

    11 39.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    So yesterday I started a thread about my Pre not working when plugged in to my car via aux in. I can hear the caller through my car speakers, but they can't hear me.

    However, it works fine when regular headphones are plugged in. I'm pretty sure it worked fine in the car before 1.3.1 also.

    A few people responded saying they were experiencing the same thing. No one responded that their Pre works fine when plugged in their car radio though.

    So I figured I would start this poll to figure out if this is with all Pres or just with some. Thanks.
  2. Saundra23's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #2  
    mine used to work until the most recent update.
    Pre user since summer '09...on my fourth phone.
  3. Huff's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #3  
    My Pre works with my cars bluetooth but not very well. I can hear people just fine but callers say they hear me garbled up. I have four dodge/chrysler vehicles and only my Ram truck seems to work well.

    My Palm Treo 650 and 755p also had the same issue. It's not my vehicles because other non Palm phones work very well.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    My Pre works with my cars bluetooth but not very well. I can hear people just fine but callers say they hear me garbled up. I have four dodge/chrysler vehicles and only my Ram truck seems to work well.

    My Palm Treo 650 and 755p also had the same issue. It's not my vehicles because other non Palm phones work very well.
    I'm not talking about bluetooth connection. Rather, I'm talking about the aux in connection. Thanks for the input though.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    My Pre works with my cars bluetooth but not very well. I can hear people just fine but callers say they hear me garbled up. I have four dodge/chrysler vehicles and only my Ram truck seems to work well.

    My Palm Treo 650 and 755p also had the same issue. It's not my vehicles because other non Palm phones work very well.
    My car bluetooth connection does not even work any more after 1.3.5.x
  6. #6  
    Mine worked before, doesn't now. I have the same issue as the OP.
  7. Maturin's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #7  
    Just got a BT head unit from Sony the other day and its working wonderfully on1.3.5.1. (With AmpachePre I might add, Fain )

    Using Aux has never had mic functionality for me. Think about it this way, when you plug something into the headphone jack it tries to route audio in and out through that. And since I have no mic in the aux cord, I can hear them but they cant hear me. Same thing happens with regular headphones. However, with a headSET, ala the ones that came with the Pre, the mic is built in and therefore everything works well.
  8. #8  
    Mine has been spotty before, but that could have been a dicey headphone jack. I've had my phone replaced twice...

    But last night, inspired by some of these stories, I did a test, using the aux cable into my car stereo, and it worked fine...That's just one data point, though...I feel like I've had it fail before with this particular phone...but I'm not 100% sure. Both instances were with the most recent update, tho.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Using Aux has never had mic functionality for me. Think about it this way, when you plug something into the headphone jack it tries to route audio in and out through that. And since I have no mic in the aux cord, I can hear them but they cant hear me. Same thing happens with regular headphones. However, with a headSET, ala the ones that came with the Pre, the mic is built in and therefore everything works well.
    Before whatever changed occurred, apparently in 1.3.1 the Pre's mic wasn't deactivated when the audio was routed to the aux cord. I can think of no real good reason why that would happen, actually.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Just got a BT head unit from Sony the other day and its working wonderfully on1.3.5.1. (With AmpachePre I might add, Fain )

    Using Aux has never had mic functionality for me. Think about it this way, when you plug something into the headphone jack it tries to route audio in and out through that. And since I have no mic in the aux cord, I can hear them but they cant hear me. Same thing happens with regular headphones. However, with a headSET, ala the ones that came with the Pre, the mic is built in and therefore everything works well.
    Like I said in the first post, aux in in my car worked perfect before 1.3.1. I tried regular headphones without a mic last night and it worked also. But in the car it just doesn't work. This is weird because I don't see how the Pre knows the difference.
  11. #11  
    There were a couple of other posts about this ... other folks claimed that some release (maybe 1.3.1) "broke" the capability to use the Pre's mic when the headphone jack was plugged in. I can actually see this both ways ... a useful feature ... but if the jack is connected, the Pre may assume you're using the headset to talk.

    A good work around is to buy a headphone adapter with a mic built in ... like this:

    Amazon.com: MONSTER 123875 Iphone Imicrophone In-Line Microphone Adapter: Electronics

    This gives you perhaps a better mic (or at least an option to place it closer to you), and a place to plug in your aux cable.
  12. #12  
    It use to work just fine with a 2 ringed 3.5 cord, I don't know why they broke it. It use to be so nice to listen to pandora/shoutcast, use gps , and still be able to take a phone call at a push of a button. I hate headsets this was one of my favorite features of the Pre.
  13. Maturin's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #13  
    Hey, nice link rob. I would've gotten one of those before I got my BT stereo

    Edit: Found this one. It's only $6! http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-S...bosnation0e-20
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    There were a couple of other posts about this ... other folks claimed that some release (maybe 1.3.1) "broke" the capability to use the Pre's mic when the headphone jack was plugged in. I can actually see this both ways ... a useful feature ... but if the jack is connected, the Pre may assume you're using the headset to talk.

    A good work around is to buy a headphone adapter with a mic built in ... like this:

    Amazon.com: MONSTER 123875 Iphone Imicrophone In-Line Microphone Adapter: Electronics

    This gives you perhaps a better mic (or at least an option to place it closer to you), and a place to plug in your aux cable.
    I might have to give this (or a similar Shure mic I saw on Amazon) a try. Thanks.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Mine has been spotty before, but that could have been a dicey headphone jack. I've had my phone replaced twice...

    But last night, inspired by some of these stories, I did a test, using the aux cable into my car stereo, and it worked fine...That's just one data point, though...I feel like I've had it fail before with this particular phone...but I'm not 100% sure. Both instances were with the most recent update, tho.
    ...just a clarification: I've had a Pre since WebOS 1.2, and have been able to do it, with occasional un-isolated problems (headphone jack? not sure) since then (I bought the phone in July, I think).
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Hey, nice link rob. I would've gotten one of those before I got my BT stereo

    Edit: Found this one. It's only $6! Amazon.com: Apple iPhone Stereo 3.5mm Audio Converter w/ Microphone For iPhone 1G: Electronics
    Yeah, there's actually quite a few different brands/models available if you look around ... the Monster was just an example. But it seems like a pretty good idea if you want to use the aux jack as a speakerphone ... not that expensive and you're not dependent on Palm this way, should always work.
  17. #17  
    I've been using this one for a month or so, works great. This one is better for car use, as the aux cable going into your car stereo can go in one direction and the speaker cable can clip onto your seatbelt.
  18. swimdng's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Just got a BT head unit from Sony the other day and its working wonderfully on1.3.5.1. (With AmpachePre I might add, Fain )

    Using Aux has never had mic functionality for me. Think about it this way, when you plug something into the headphone jack it tries to route audio in and out through that. And since I have no mic in the aux cord, I can hear them but they cant hear me. Same thing happens with regular headphones. However, with a headSET, ala the ones that came with the Pre, the mic is built in and therefore everything works well.
    Not really true regarding your Aux part reasoning. I just recently installed an aux cable wired to my CD changer since I don't have a factory aux outlet on my car stereo. When I plug the aux cable to my 1.3.5.1 Pre headphone jack, it works perfectly. Sound comes thru car speakers and caller can hear me via my Pre mic clearly. Sometimes I just place the Pre on my laps or in cup holder, caller can still hear me fine. So not sure why some of you have this problem, sure hope mine keeps working coz it's nice to be able to do so.
  19. #19  
    I have Bluetooth headset so this no longer annoys me, maybe I'll pick up the Amazon.com: MONSTER 123875 Iphone Imicrophone In-Line Microphone Adapter: Electronics as a backup if it works as well as the above poster stated.

    EDIT: wooah, $25???? nevermind, i'll stick with my bluetooth which works everywhere, not just in my car...
  20. #20  
    Amazon.com: MONSTER 123875 Iphone Imicrophone In-Line Microphone Adapter: Electronics-
    I got this recently and at first i thought it would work like a charm.. but then every one would tell me they could hear their own echo. No matter how much i tweaked the volume it just did not work out for me. Thats my 2cents.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions