1.    #1  
    I have posted this on mytether but have yet to get a response so I figure try here.

Successfully I have installed the latest .net, service pack 3 for xp, novacom, mytether to my phone, and even webos quick install for s/g. The only thing That is out of the equation is the USBnet because I am solely trying to over USB not wifi.

The problem I arrise with is that my computer has already set drivers for the palm pre as a USB mass storage device. I get no prompt that asks me for drivers like the guide for USBnet on webosinternals says.

When opening up the window that shows active connections if u want to disconnect. I right click and open up where it says palm pre to get to the driver and uninstall hoping to then connect and get the prompt for me to pick the driver.

Instead it automatically loads a driver and I am back to square one. Its very frustrating and I cant seem to find a way to load the driver for the palm pre as a ethernet device. Only as a usb storage device.

Any insight, help, thoughts would be much appreciated as I am in dire need of internet at home.

Thanks a ton,
    Jared
    I ♥ my Pre.
  3.    #3  
    thanks, i actually used that post as a guideline but I havent even gotten to the point of getting it installed. once i can get usbnet installed i should be good.

My problem is that my computer already recognizes my pre as a mass storage device. not an ethernet gadget or whichever. ive tried uninstalling the usb driver and when it connects back again voila, mass storage device again.
    Sorry, I misunderstood. It has been quite a while since I used xp, but is it possible to remove the Pre device via device manager, restart, and see if you can force it to ask for a new driver?
    I ♥ my Pre.
  5.    #5  
    you would think right?

but as soon as i do that it just reinstalls by itself without prompting me for a driver. maybe i need to completely remove the driver, traces might still be left after. i have no clue.. :/
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    When you connect your pre to the computer, are you choosing the USB drive option on the phone? Be sure to click 'just charge'.
  7.    #7  
    yea i do put just charge.

should i have it in developer mode to install usbnet? maybe thats the problem, i dont know if i tried that.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    make sure you have the usbnet option turned on in mytether before you connect it to your computer. It should ask you to restart after turning it on/off. Sometimes it will not prompt to restart for me and thus does not turn on.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Make sure you install the 64bit version
    thats the thing, i cant even get to the point of installing USBnet. I get no prompt, and when i try to just go into it and add driver for it just allows me to add mass storage drivers. not ethernet gadget or something of the like. very frustrating and im ending up having to buy internet now. which i really dont want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredx View Post
    thats the thing, i cant even get to the point of installing USBnet. I get no prompt, and when i try to just go into it and add driver for it just allows me to add mass storage drivers. not ethernet gadget or something of the like. very frustrating and im ending up having to buy internet now. which i really dont want to do.
    Don't wait on a prompt. Try the following
    • In Control Panel, select Add New Hardware
    • After the system scans for new hardware, select that you have already connected the hardware
    • On the list of hardware devices, scroll down to the bottom and select Add New Hardware DeviceSelect the option to Install the hardware that I manuall select from a list
    • Select Network Adapters
    • Select Have Disk
    • Browse the USB-net.inf file, and select it

I think this will fix your problem, and still allow you to connect as a USB drive. This worked for me on 2 XP machines, and my Windows 7 machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredx View Post
    I just now noticed this last part.

You should not try to tether your Pre instead of having an internet connection. There are services that a desktop PC uses that a Pre does not. Carriers monitor their network. Tethering the Pre is great for an occasional connection to check email, or basic websites. It's not a substitute for a network connection for your PC.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I just now noticed this last part.

You should not try to tether your Pre instead of having an internet connection. There are services that a desktop PC uses that a Pre does not. Carriers monitor their network. Tethering the Pre is great for an occasional connection to check email, or basic websites. It's not a substitute for a network connection for your PC.

ok you say they monitor their network as that may be true i have been using mytether for almost 3 months now almost exclusively and have had no extra charge on my bill.my current usage on this months bill is Sprint Data Unlimited 94718538 Unlimited -- --
    so not so sure your information is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by htcman724 View Post
    ok you say they monitor their network as that may be true i have been using mytether for almost 3 months now almost exclusively and have had no extra charge on my bill.my current usage on this months bill is Sprint Data Unlimited 94718538 Unlimited -- --
    so not so sure your information is correct.
    Your "unlimited" is for your Pre. Your Terms Of Service specifically disallow tethering. Sprint will generally "look the other way" or not even notice occasional use. People have had their accounts cancelled for what you are describing. I'm 100% sure of my iinformation.
    do you have bluetooth or willing to buy a bluetooth dongle. It'll be easier. Not sure if you can use usb after version 1.3.1. Either way, I couldn't get usbnet installed either. Heres my post on that.
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/225822-usbnet-pre.html hope this helps