Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Checked this on my home computer. No problem writing files to the Pre+.

On the home computer also - no security tab. All Pre folders are marked as READ-ONLY. which is the same as my work laptop.

Tried swapping cables from the home computer to the laptop. Still no go.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    assuming this is a windows machine running xp vista or 7~
    with your pre plugged in and in USB mode~ .. try this:

right click "computer" or "my computer" from the start menu or desktop and choose manage

choose the device manager in the left pane of the computer management window

expand the "disk drives" category and find the entry there for your Pre

right click it and choose uninstall

when done, unplug the pre from the computer

plug it back in and start usb mode again, at this point your pc will reinstall drivers.

this might take care of it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerubius View Post
    assuming this is a windows machine running xp vista or 7~
    with your pre plugged in and in USB mode~ .. try this:

right click "computer" or "my computer" from the start menu or desktop and choose manage

choose the device manager in the left pane of the computer management window

expand the "disk drives" category and find the entry there for your Pre

right click it and choose uninstall

when done, unplug the pre from the computer

plug it back in and start usb mode again, at this point your pc will reinstall drivers.

this might take care of it for you.
    Followed your suggestion. Still wont let me copy a file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sounds like some kinda it setting on your work computer...

at this point I would almost say I'm sure.... I have seen this across the board with various useful software in my office on different folks computers. Even those upgraded by the same it person. In business use windows, the controls and changes can be VAST.
    ??
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    so strange, idk man. Something is being quirky. What happens in safe mode?
    I just rebooted my laptop into safe mode. Success! I was able to copy files to my Pre in USB mode. In normal mode "access is denied"

Now the mystery shifts as to why I can copy file to a USB stick, but not the Pre. And I need to figure out what configuration change on my laptop will let me copy files to the Pre.

thanks,
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I just rebooted my laptop into safe mode. Success! I was able to copy files to my Pre in USB mode. In normal mode "access is denied"

Now the mystery shifts as to why I can copy file to a USB stick, but not the Pre. And I need to figure out what configuration change on my laptop will let me copy files to the Pre.

thanks,
    Scott
    If it's a work laptop, you may not be able to change the configuration.

As I said above, when IT departments configure computers for business they can choose what to lock down and it sometimes be completely random. Safe mode keeps certain things from loading and could be keeping whatever software/setting that is blocking you from Pre access.
    I can move files successfully from my work laptop to my Pre via Wifi using this procedure
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...filezilla.html
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If it's a work laptop, you may not be able to change the configuration.

As I said above, when IT departments configure computers for business they can choose what to lock down and it sometimes be completely random. Safe mode keeps certain things from loading and could be keeping whatever software/setting that is blocking you from Pre access.
    Seems strange that I can copy file to a USB memory stick, but not the Pre in USB mode. Oh well. I found a workaround via WiFi that is pretty cool.
    Seems strange that I can copy file to a USB memory stick, but not the Pre in USB mode. Oh well. I found a workaround via WiFi that is pretty cool.
    Is that memory stick formatted NTFS? NTFS allows security policy to be retained, so that could be allowed, vs FAT which does not. Just a thought. Haven't done any homework so I don't know if that restriction is implemented anywhere or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Is that memory stick formatted NTFS? NTFS allows security policy to be retained, so that could be allowed, vs FAT which does not. Just a thought. Haven't done any homework so I don't know if that restriction is implemented anywhere or not.
    The memory stick and my Pre are both showing FAT32.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    When I look at Properties of the Pre+ in USB mode (or a USB stick) there is not tab for Security! I see the tab if I do the same thing with my hard drive.

What would keep my computer from showing a Security tab on USB drives?
    Got me there. I can't experiment since I'm at work but I'll try and remember to check into this tonight.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I am with you..... but I have weird issues on work computers as well.

A quick example, one computer has flash on both IE and Firefox..... another computer, won't allow flash to install on Firefox but is fine on IE (funny thing is, before they upgraded hardware the issues on the previous PC's were the opposite). These computers were setup and installed one at a time so I know it wasn't an issue of them being switched accidentaly.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123