Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Yes I have looked at the WIKI. BTW-This was posted before AUPT. Recently with AUPT in place I still could not remove several themes as well as a few lingering patches unless I used this procedure. I still stand behind it. I have removed the old riskier patch removal steps because AUPT should fix most issues and if it doesn't, this will!
    Totaly agree! IMO...There always comes a point where you have to say, "What am I trying to save here?" ...It's really good to simple start over sometimes, i.e. run WebOS Doctor.

No the current Dr and a full erase will not clean everything!!
    OK...I know your of the opinion something is missed on the media partition...What directories and/or files are missed or left untouched?

As for the rest, I resize the partitions after I doctor, so I've seen the doctor repartition which I presume includes a quick format.

It's probably worth figuring out what's going on if your going to post these instructions.

Anyhow, your efforts are appreciated.

Any other suggestions for improvements are welcome
    Thanks for this procedure. I was having problems installing a particular patch so I started messing around and moved critical files. So I had to end up doctoring it. I have doctored my Pre in the past but remenants of old patches would still show up like multiple pages in the launcher. I followed the steps mentioned in the first post and I now have a factory Pre again. There are three pages now and I can now install the app launcher name page patch with no problem. Also no lingering LED notification. Thanks!
    Last edited by mamouton; 02/26/2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks for the write-up but I cannot get my computer to connect to my pre. Neither 1.2.1 or 1.3.5.1 work. Any ideas? I have done a full erase then realized I needed to get rid of patch remnants, etc. and wanted to completely start over. Right now I have an erased 1.3.5.1 and cannot move back to doctor at 1.2.1 then move up to 1.3.5.1. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Edit. I also don't get the charge/usb/sync options when I plug into my pc right now. I will give it some time since I did the erase and see if things clear up in a bit or by morning. Looking forward to your answers either way.
    Last edited by djmcgee; 02/26/2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    If I understand correctly.

Shut down
    Remove Battery
    Hold Power Button
    Plug into AC Charger
    Install Battery (holding power button)
    Unplug from AC Charger
    Plug into Computer
    Start WebOS Doctor

Same as the volume up button but with Power?

I have tried with power button and volume up button. Volume up button gives me the USB symbol on my Pre but WebOS DR will not continue past the connect screen.
    No... Vol Up button is all you need to worry about. Just follow the instructions in the OP.

If you're not seeing the charge/usb/sync options while webOS is up and running, then that's a big hint that there's a hardware issue. Try different usb port, different computer, different cable.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks,

ok I definitely get the USB symbol on the Pre. And I had it connected in "Just Charge" mode before I erased so I know there are no PC/cable hardware issues
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks again, but I cannot go on as WebOS Dr will not connect
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Moved thread to here

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...40#post2254840

Would still like some more input. Any reason why my PC won't recognize my Pre since I did a full erase? This is true whether I use the volume up button method or just plug in when Web OS is running.

I have tried different cables, different USB ports and different computers, I never get an option on my Pre, just goes straight to charge.
    Hey CAJ2008 -- Thanks very much for the instructions -- but unfortunately, I think I'm example #1 of where these might not have worked. I've asked Eric G for any ideas over in the AUPT thread, and I figured I'd mention it here too in case you can help me figure this out.

I have been having trouble for the last 48 hours to get the Named Pages v5 .patch reinstalled after removing it (so that it would be properly installed with AUPT -- I had initially installed it a while ago with WebOS QI 2.96 (pre-AUPT). Anyway, I am not in the possession of a 100% STOCK fully wiped Pre.... and yet this patch will not install with the current WebOS QI. It makes no sense -- rejects just one simple HUNK in launcher-scene.html. More details are in the last two pages of AUPT thread. Anyway, if you have any ideas, great. If not, no worries. I appreciate your contributions here.

I know this issue will be resolved when lmorchard updates the patch for 1.4 (hopefully he will), but I don't accept defeat easily so here I sit at 2:20 am while 1000's of folks are out downloading 1.4 already.
    You went through all 18 of these instructions?
    Line by line (except after the final 1.3.5 Dr: as a test, I logged in to a dummy Palm Profile to ensure there was NOTHING coming down from palm by way of apps / accounts / etc.... I didn't want to erase my real profile.)

My Pre was as clean as if brand new.... Eric G had me put the .patch on the Pre's USB drive and try a dry run from the command line. The dry run ran perfectly with no errors. So it seems to be some kind of WebOS QI issue / hiccup with this particular patch. (there's really no other explanation)

ALL other patches installed by WebOS QI (4 of them) and Preware (35 or so) reinstalled perfectly.

By the way, I didn't comment here to make any claims that this doesn't work, only to point out that in rare (apparently very rare) cases, it could be something else.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    1. Turn PRE off. Restart your pc.
    2. remove battery from Pre
    3. insert power cord in phone (but do NOT insert the other end into wall charger or computer.)
    3. Press the "volume-up"-key and hold it pressed
    4. Insert other end of usb-power-cable into wall-charger
    5. A questionmark should appear on the screen
    6. insert battery (while still holding "volume up")
    7. A USB-symbol should appear on screen
    8. now release "volume up"
    9. remove powercord from charger and plug it into pc...
    You can do the first part in fewer than 9 steps.
    1. Remove then reinstall battery in Pre
    2. insert power cord in phone (but do NOT insert the other end into wall charger or computer.)
    3. Press the "volume-up"-key and hold it pressed
    4. plug it into pc
    5. now release "volume up"
    Last edited by cwgtex; 02/27/2010 at 02:01 PM.
    Should be...

1) Reboot PC.
    2) Reboot phone & HOLD volume up until you see giant USB icon [could take up to 20~30 sec].
    3) If you don't see the giant USB icon, plug into wall outlet and try again.

Or something like that.
    Thank you!
    Completely bricked my Pre today, followed your instructions, and my phone is operating 100% perfectly again. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Great thread, very useful. Btw, not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but there is now a 1.4 webos doc, so you can skip the last step in updating. Thanks again!
    hit the thanks button for him under and to the right of his signature
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    hit thanks button one question, now when I try to select tweaks i get a message stating that I need GNU patch and Lsdiff installed to function, would I like to download and install now. Then it says it may take up to a minute be patient. No matter how long I wait nothing happens and selecting tweaks takes me through the process again. Any ideas?
    Thanks I really appreciate your help. If I had followed my own nose like i'm supposed to I would have found the answer, just like I found yours today. I had to manually reinstall GNU and Lsdiff, then tweaks worked fine. (A little searching does a world of good)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil0402 View Post
    Completely bricked my Pre today, followed your instructions, and my phone is operating 100% perfectly again. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Great thread, very useful. Btw, not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but there is now a 1.4 webos doc, so you can skip the last step in updating. Thanks again!
    Updating from 1.2 was necessary for caj2008's rules because the 1.3 Doctor actually made a lotta changes to the filesystem, and one unintended change was not being able to clear the app & app data from just a partial or even full erase.

I never had this problem myself, but it seems as tho many had files sticking around after a Doctor.

Long story short... it seems as tho they've now added the appropriate option in the "Reset Options" page.
    Not working for me , after 1.4 forced update (I was fine on 1.3.5) it updated fine until my phone booted up (after palm logo) and said Phone error has occurred that cannot be resolved. And I cannot do anything (just sits at a blue clouded screen with that message and the keyboard does not respond, etc.

I tried calling palm and doing the 1.4 webosdoctor they wanted me to do (like this thread said to do but with 1.4webosdoc). I was hoping this would fix it, followed in the instructions word for word (had them printed) and same thing. web os doc 1.2.1 keeps saying phone disconnected after a bit and I'm stuck on that... man, why couldn't palm have it like it used to be with the 650 and 755p, just open the battery and use a paper clip to hard reset.

At least (after all this) I'm getting a phone replacement Friday (today is Wednesday) I don't know why they couldn't give me one that was in the store then order a new one for themselves. I have no idea what caused all this.

Also whats bad is I have phantom skinz on my pre which I don't think I can just remove and put on the replaced one.. do you guys think it will at least be a new phone and not a refurbished one?
    Last edited by champdee; 03/03/2010 at 08:58 PM.
    never mind i got it lol my bad !!! duh

update i.2 what? what r u talking about caj2008?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast