Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    No, it's not an iPhone or iPod ad, it's for the new iMac. They apparently created a new mouse that does multi-touch and refer to it's function as swipes and gestures.. Have a look around the 3:50-4:00 minute mark at apple.com/imac/the-new-imac

Tisk-tisk? who cares? I say tisk-tisk You all may already be aware of this and it's old news or no big deal. I just stumbled across it and thought it was kind of funny.
    Nothing new here, Apple has made millions of inventing things again for the "first" time. I won't buy into their designer prices , but they do have great marketing.
    Yep, things like "multitouch" are staples of Palm. The nerve of Apple..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    /sarcasm
    Sure isn't, but Apple is famous for taking what others do and running with it.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Apple took the wholly-original idea of taking a cell phone and combining it with applications for personal organization, user-installable applications, and a touchscreen...and changed the world!

Now, they're talking about making their devices capable of running more than one application at a time! Wow...this...this is revolutionary!

What next? The ability to copy information from one area and then paste it into something else? <hollow laugh> Yeah...right!

My God...I don't know where the creative geniuses at Apple get these crazy ideas!
    Yes, Apple was very cleaver when they invented multitouch:

Multi-touch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In 1983, Bell Labs at Murray Hill published a comprehensive discussion of touch-screen based interfaces. [6] In 1984, Bell Labs engineered a touch screen that could change images with more than one hand. The group at the University of Toronto stopped working on hardware and moved on to software and interfaces, expecting that they would have access to the Bell Labs work.[5]
    A breakthrough occurred in 1991, when Pierre Wellner published a paper on his multi-touch “Digital Desk”, which supported multi-finger and pinching motions. [7][8]
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orlando_c View Post
    /sarcasm
    I wasn't commenting on the phrase "multi-touch". Did you not read the the two keywords at the title of this thread or the first post?

I don't recall Apple using the term "gesture" before Palm beat it into our heads. I thought it kinda funny to now see Apple using it is all.
    Nah Apple has used the term gestures when showing off the iPhone before i'm pretty certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrian View Post
    I wasn't commenting on the phrase "multi-touch". Did you not read the the two keywords at the title of this thread or the first post?

I don't recall Apple using the term "gesture" before Palm beat it into our heads. I thought it kinda funny to now see Apple using it is all.
    By adding my /sarcasm to the end cardfan's statement I merely attempted to further emphasize the sarcasm in his tone. I was not agreeing or disagreeing with you. I saw the video and understand why you brought it up.

/end response

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orlando_c View Post
    By adding my /sarcasm to the end cardfan's statement I merely attempted to further emphasize the sarcasm in his tone. I was not agreeing or disagreeing with you. I saw the video and understand why you brought it up.

/end response

I actually meant to quote him, not you. The result of mobile version forum+pre to post ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrian View Post
    I actually meant to quote him, not you. The result of mobile version forum+pre to post ;-)
    Awesome possum!
    I have a magic mouse Thought I would share.
    What's wrong with taking what someone has already done and doing it better? The wheel has already been invented, today it's about how we can make it better.

Not only is Apple a marketing genius but their products are of pure quality which is one thing I have respect for. They're chastised quite often for their policies regarding _their_ hardware/software (being locked down) but what it boils down to is ensuring a great user experience.

I'm a gadget lover. Not an Apple ******, but I do appreciate Apple products. I owned two iPhones and then moved over to the Pre (hence why I am on here). But I will admit, iPhone OS4 has me intrigued; WebOS captured me because of its multitasking capabilities and Sprint. If the OS 4 introduces some remarkable multitasking capabilities and moves to Sprint/Verizon ... I may have to reconsider.

To each their own. We live in a great time where new things are not only being invented but being re-revolutionized.
  15. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Yeah Apple will market multi-tasking as their own, spoon feed it to the masses, the masses will lap it up, and Apple will make billions.

sigh... i should by stock now...

It's good for competition and the marketplace though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    Yeah Apple will market multi-tasking as their own, spoon feed it to the masses, the masses will lap it up, and Apple will make billions.

sigh... i should by stock now...

It's good for competition and the marketplace though!
    Not necessarily true. How they implement multi-tasking and put it to use is how they will market it. Just like how Palm markets multi-tasking as being card based.. if Apple introduces a new way to manage multiple applications at once that's what they will market.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    The Magic Mouse.. I was thinking about getting one of these when they first came out. I think I'll pick one up today!

Can anyone recommended it?

Okay okay.. off topic.. um... yup Apple invented multi touch.. it works well on the Pre.. So about the Magic Mouse..
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    The Magic Mouse.. I was thinking about getting one of these when they first came out. I think I'll pick one up today!

Can anyone recommended it?

Okay okay.. off topic.. um... yup Apple invented multi touch.. it works well on the Pre.. So about the Magic Mouse..
    Apple didn't invent Multi-touch, they just filed a patient on it, and it's not even the first one.

I can't stand the mouse, it has some slight useful features, but nothing which you won't you maybe twice and then never again. Mostly you now don't have a real click or any tactical feel about it, if something doesn't respond right away you commonly tap 4-5 times thinking that maybe you didn't tap right (like on the touch screens). Otherwise it's a mouse, nothing big. (And Microsoft came out with one first that does the exact same things)
    Last edited by alex.dobeck; 01/20/2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I have a magic mouse too, it works grrreat. It's a little to thin though.
    had a magic mouse before I took it back. Would maybe get one in the future mainly for seamless bluetooth more than anything. But the price is a deal breaker for me right now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast