Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Noticed that the Palm Mobile Hotspot app was (briefly) listed in Palm's RSS feed for App Catalog updates. Clicking on it returned a "This app is not available" page, and it's no longer listed in the RSS feed.

Looks like Palm's getting ready for the Verizon release... Come to think of it, that makes me wonder how Palm's going to handle an app like that, which is available (or functional?) on one US carrier and not another. While it might not show up in the App Catalog on another carrier's device, they can't really limit it from the RSS feeds. And the feed definitely did not state that the app is for Verizon only.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Yeah I saw it and wondered the same thing.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    im sure they are going to release it on both phones
    I doubt they're gonna have two different app store for the phones
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    im sure they are going to release it on both phones
    I doubt they're gonna have two different app store for the phones
    Are you saying that Sprint may be getting ready to put a blessing on tethering? Of course if that's what you're implying, then I'm sure that when there's an app for that, they'll be a fee for that too!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Are you saying that Sprint may be getting ready to put a blessing on tethering? Of course if that's what you're implying, then I'm sure that when there's an app for that, they'll be a fee for that too!
    In the unlikely case that Sprint offers this app, they will definitely charge for it. Why pay for a tethering service when you can have it for free?
    I wouldn't think it would be very hard to program in a query on the app catalog that checks what carrier the phone is on and shows only appropriate apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksfireman82 View Post
    I wouldn't think it would be very hard to program in a query on the app catalog that checks what carrier the phone is on and shows only appropriate apps.
    They'll have some sort of way to limit certain apps to specific carriers. With the improved hardware of the Pre+ I'm sure there will be apps that don't work on our first generation Pres.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    uh, it's downloadable right now. just downloaded and installed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    What you talkin' bout Willis?
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    cant find it
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    doesn't work on sprint

gives message when you try to turn it on

"no sharing service"
    "sharing an internet connection requires an addition to your mobile service plan. contact your carrier for help""
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    i have rss feeds cached from last night
    Link?
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    how can I give you a link? I downloaded rss feeds in preware, still cached from last night, takes me to app catalog
    I don't know... I haven't seen this app though. Could you post a few screenshots?
    the European app catalog doesnt have the same apps as America.

same difference.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    not screenshots but extracted ipks

updater app includes

Code:
    usr/
    usr/palm/
    usr/palm/applications/
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/ipkg/
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/ipkg/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/ipkg/mobilehotspotd_1.0.0-18.2.ipk
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/ipkg/pmnetconfigmanager_1.0.0-58.1.ipk
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/icon.png
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/screen.bmp
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/black.bmp
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/appinfo.json
    usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdatepre/myapp
    i.e. 3 ipk's

mobilehotspot ipk includes

Code:
    /
    /usr/
    /usr/palm/
    /usr/palm/applications/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/icon.png
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/framework_config.json
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/appinfo.json
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/index.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/client/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/client/client-scene.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/client/client-item.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/client/client-container.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/microap/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/microap/microap-scene.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/microap/configuration-item.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/microap/microap-container.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/microap/microap-item.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/hotspotdash/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/hotspotdash/hotspotdash-scene.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/apconfig/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/apconfig/passphraseconfig-scene.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/apconfig/ssidconfig-scene.html
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/models/
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/models/system-luna-service.jsjsjs
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$app$/$models$/$telephony$-$luna$-$service$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$app$/$models$/$hotspot$-$luna$-$service$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$app$/$controllers$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$app$/$controllers$/$apconfig$-$assistant$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$app$/$controllers$/$microap$-$assistant$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$app$/$controllers$/$client$-$assistant$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$app$/$controllers$/$hotspotdash$-$assistant$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$app$/$controllers$/$app$-$assistant$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$images$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$images$/$icon$.$png$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$images$/$header$-$icon$-$wifi$.$png$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$images$/$notification$-$small$.$png$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$images$/$icon$-$large$.$png$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$images$/$header$-$icon$-$mobilehotspot$.$png$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$images$/$notification$-$large$.$png$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$images$/$header$-$icon$-$bluetooth$.$png$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$icon$-$256x256$.$png$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$svn$-$commit$.$tmp$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$first$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$first$/$first$-$scene$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$ipconfig$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$ipconfig$/$ipconfig$-$scene$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$microap$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$microap$/$microap$-$scene$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$microap$/$microap$-$item$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$hotspotdash$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$hotspotdash$/$hotspotdash$-$scene$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$apconfig$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$apconfig$/$passphraseconfig$-$scene$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$apconfig$/$apconfig$-$scene$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$views$/$apconfig$/$ssidconfig$-$scene$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$appinfo$.$json$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$resources$/$es_us$/$strings$.$json$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$sources$.$json$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$stylesheets$/
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$mobilehotspot$/$stylesheets$/$mobilehotspot$.$css$
    mobilehotspotd includes

Code:
    ./
    ./usr/
    ./usr/bin/
    ./usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    ./etc/
    ./etc/event.d/
    ./etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd
    pmnetconfigmanager includes

Code:
    ./
    ./etc/
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/if-up
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/init
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/iptables-usbnetmode.config
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/funcs
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/if-down
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/iptablectrl
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/iptables-default.config
    ./etc/pmnetconfig/staticroutes/
    ./etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    ./etc/resolv.conf
    ./etc/event.d/
    ./etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    ./usr/
    ./usr/bin/
    ./usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    What I painfully extracted from the Palm Customer Service in Mexico may shed some light here:
    The app catalog is carrier specific, and each carrier must release the apps to the specific stream (lucky for us we use the Sprint catalog)

So, you see, it's entirely possible to have an app in a carrier and not in another.
    well i thought we knew that already... (well i guess SOME of us knew that haha).

When the patch is out i would not be surprised to see WebOSInternalz break it down to see what makes it tick.
  20.    #20  
    Which goes back to my original pondering: limiting by carrier is fine for the App Catalog on the device, but wouldn't work for the RSS feeds. So, I'm hoping they'll be careful to indicate in the feeds what carrier/region an app is intended for.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast