Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Lately I have noticed I keep getting the error too many cards oepn when I try t open something however nothing is open. The phone is latest update, no homebrew at all anyone else?
    I've had the same problem. No apps open, main screen is empty, just my wallpaper and I cannot open any apps b/c i get that same message. I doubt we're the only ones with this problem
    Programs have memory leaks which fill up the Pre's memory. In order to refresh it simply restart the phone. I usually restart mine every night when i set it down on the charger and it keeps the phone running quickly and gets rid of the "To many cards" error. I hope this helps.
    yeah theres def some mem leak problems at work here. like he said a restart should fix it, temporarily
    webosdoctor it...or device info>reset options>full erase or partial erase...

Note : backup files on harddrive and backup to palm...Full backup
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Sometimes when I don't have 10 mins to wait for the reboot, I will use JsTop and do a garbage collect. This seems to clear up the space I need.
    luna mnger restart should do it if you don't wanna do the long lasting phone reboot....I get this alot too..but I jus re downloaded the memory browser launch patch
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Resetting the phone on a daily basis should NOT be needed for a stock, non patched, no homebrew Pre, with over 2 gigs free! Esp. when it can take over 3-4 mins to boot up.

If the cause is memory leaks, Palm needs to build in a "reset memory", or similar function. (I fully understand they can't be responsible for memory leaks in each and every app. but they should fix any leaks in built in apps.)

Palm touts the Pre's multi-tasking ability, but if I leave Messaging, Email, and Calendar open for more than 24 hours, I'll get the "too many cards" error message and, lately, even when I close all open cards, I'll still get the message, and can't even open "Device Info" to access the reset options page, and I have to resort to holding the power button down to re-start the Pre.

"Simply resetting" the Pre is not a reasonable fix for this issue, as one needs to load up any apps they want to use again, and start over.

For those of you who feel the need to respond with; "Well, I close all my apps when I'm done. and don't have the problem", or similar, please resist the urge. We're SUPPOSED to be able to run multiple apps, with-out re-booting the device every day, and complaining about it is perfectly acceptable here.

I really like the Pre, webOS and especially the Pre's form factor, but Palm has to resolve this issue soon. It's so frustrating to be in the middle of something and get stopped in your tracks by this error, and realize a 3-4 min reset is needed to return the phone to normal operation. Sometimes, those 3-4 mins are very important.

Crossing my fingers this issue is resolved with 1.4 ;-)
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    We all suffer through these memory leaks, and until Palm fixes memory management we're going to have to fend for ourselves, here.

The quickest option is to use JStop, a homebrew app which lets you monitor which apps are consuming resources and gives you the option of killing a process if need be. (Kind of like "force quit.")

The next option would be a Luna Restart, though sometimes that might not fix your problem.

A soft reset would be the next step. Just tap ORANGE + SYM + R ... your Pre will reboot.

If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, I've found that doing a battery pull works well. Don't ask me why this is... I have no idea.

For those wanting to "speed up" or "fix" their webOS device, here are steps as I would recommend them, listed in increasing order of severity.

WebOS Repair utility would be my next step on the "drastic scale." It basically scans your Pre/Pixi to see if there's any stuff that needs fixing (and does it) without wiping your accounts and such (like webOS Doctor).

WebOS Doctor does the same as a webOS Repair Utility, but also wipes your apps and associated data. Fortunately, your USB partition is now kept intact. I'd back it up, just in case.

Finally, you can resort to a partial erase or a full erase. I go into detail on how to do these last resorts on my blog Totally Palmed. Good luck.
    This is a re-post for me on this topic but this thread is much more fitting.

I'm getting the "Too many cards open" message with NO cards open? I have a 100% unmodified or patched pre too! What gives? This is my third pre and this is starting to get old. At first I was thinking it was something I did with patching vs. updates but with this one being bone stock it is starting to have some issues. I'm tired of talking the pre up, only to have it fail when I want to show it off... Every time! I really want to like this phone, but palm making it hard to do.

Quickly loosing faith!
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Write Palm about it. Incessantly. They are working hard to add new "gee-whiz" features but I think they really need to fix these basic essentials FIRST.
    Quote Originally Posted by vara411 View Post
    Write Palm about it. Incessantly. They are working hard to add new "gee-whiz" features but I think they really need to fix these basic essentials FIRST.

+1

I made a thread about that very issue and the ******* came out swinging
    Palm needs to make the phone work well before i'll give a damn about Flash, Apps, Gaming etc....
    The quickest option is to use JStop, a homebrew app which lets you monitor which apps are consuming resources and gives you the option of killing a process if need be. (Kind of like "force quit.")

I can't find this app in the list of Homebrews (on precentral or through WebOSQuickInstall. Has it been renamed or is there something comparable?

I'm having the same "too many cards" and slowness issues that other folks in this thread are having. I've only had my Pre for 1.5 weeks!
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Turtlemama, in Preware, go to all applications, then start typing it in... You should see it appear. I just downloaded Jstop today.
    Had this issue acouple of days ago. I went to email, un-minimized each account (one account at a time), went to trash and opened it, tapped the top left corner for the drop down menu, and tapped "empty trash". Havent gotten the "too many cards..." since

Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Resetting the phone on a daily basis should NOT be needed for a stock, non patched, no homebrew Pre, with over 2 gigs free! Esp. when it can take over 3-4 mins to boot up.

Palm touts the Pre's multi-tasking ability, but if I leave Messaging, Email, and Calendar open for more than 24 hours, I'll get the "too many cards" error message and, lately, even when I close all open cards, I'll still get the message, and can't even open "Device Info" to access the reset options page, and I have to resort to holding the power button down to re-start the Pre.

I really like the Pre, webOS and especially the Pre's form factor, but Palm has to resolve this issue soon. It's so frustrating to be in the middle of something and get stopped in your tracks by this error, and realize a 3-4 min reset is needed to return the phone to normal operation. Sometimes, those 3-4 mins are very important.

the reboot takes 2.5 min, not 3-4, still slow tho.

i dont reboot my re very often, maybe once per two weeks. I dont leave IM, email, calendar open 24hr neither tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    What is JsTop and where can you get it
    search before u just reply to things..

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...121-jstop.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post

Nothing more frustrating then trying to schedule a meeting and getting hit with the Too Many Cards error trying to open the calendar!!

Oh...let me get back to you about those dates- not really impressive!
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    For the record there are many devices with this same issue. Apple Tech told me to do the same restart with my ipod touch a few months ago. I may be incorrect, but I suspect app developers may be partly to blame alos, so while Palm should take steps to address this, there may not be a fix all that addresses leak issues for every app.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    For the record there are many devices with this same issue. Apple Tech told me to do the same restart with my ipod touch a few months ago. I may be incorrect, but I suspect app developers may be partly to blame alos, so while Palm should take steps to address this, there may not be a fix all that addresses leak issues for every app.
    Aren't these issues mostly centered around the ondevice apps (e.g. calendar, browser, email), tho?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast