Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Option to sort apps alphabetically.
    2. Option to add more programs to the quick wave. Really, not counting the Phone and Launcher arrow, we only have 3 shortcuts available.
    3. Option to completely reset to factory fresh status. This is no longer possible using the current WebOs Doctor.
    4. Ability to stream WMA radio stations.
    5. Voice Recorder (hopefully that is coming with 1.4).
    6. Ability to save passwords in the browser.
    7. Enable numeric battery without having to patch the OS. Really, this should be standard.
    8. Bluetooth file transfers.
    9. Get the Touchstone to work correctly at night. Even when it works properly, the Pre is too bright. We should be able to have the screen off while it is charging on the Touchstone without having to patch the OS.
    10. Improve camera performance.

I am a former iPhone user, and I have had the Pre since September. I love it, but it simply is not as polished yet (which is to be expected since it as only been out since June). iPhone 4.0 is about to come out, so I really hope Palm hits it out of the park with WebOS 1.4.
    How has the permanent switch been for you? I really loved the iPhone but that AT&T, words cannot describe the hate I have for them. Having that Mac Ecosystem was nice just not the shoddy network and I was getting really ****ed at how close the iPhone OS is.
  3.    #3  
    I had Sprint prior to moving to AT&T for the iPhone, and honestly, it was like coming home. I despise AT&T. The non-existent 3G, misleading ads, nickel-and-diming, and general contempt for the customer was atrocious. Sprint may be bleeding customers, but most will find out when they switch that the grass is not always greener. Sprint's CS has really improved. I don't like it that they sold their towers and are now leasing them, and I don't like how they don't seem to have a clue in their advertising. I hope they can turn it around. I had Verizon a few years back, and they were the best. But, they were/are also the most expensive. If the iPhone were to ever go to Verizon, I may be tempted to go to them again.
  4. sko
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatman View Post
    If the iPhone were to ever go to Verizon, I may be tempted to go to them again.
    iPhone @ Verizon = End of AT&T
    lol yea. at&t blows but the iphone blows as a phone also. Its awsome at everything else. I live in NYC and theres coverage everywhere. Even in the subways but if im talking to someone on an iphone they always sound like sh#t and i can expect to be calling them back a few times because of dropped calls.
    I have to add to Wildcatman's list:

THINGS I WANT THE PRE TO DO:

1- Have quality construction, and not be poorly constructed with poor parts
    2- have factory options for color and scheme
    3- have more than 3 launcher pages
    4- ability to have different sounds for different contacts and different system sounds
    5- more applications that use landscape mode
    6- louder earpiece
    7- ability to download or store contacts via desktop without 3rd party apps
    8- have APPS take advantage of the notification system and synergy more efficiently, think iPhone apps that automatically update and show alerts (ex:facebook app)

This is just the tip of the iceberg. This phone would have been great in 2007. But now its a little more than a feature phone. It leaves much to be desired.
    and yes i know you can do most of that stuff i mentioned with patches and homebrew but i mean they should come factory, without the hassle of possibly messing something up and having to WEBOS doctor everytime the phone starts to wig out.
    I had Sprint prior to moving to AT&T for the iPhone, and honestly, it was like coming home. I despise AT&T. The non-existent 3G, misleading ads, nickel-and-diming, and general contempt for the customer was atrocious. Sprint may be bleeding customers, but most will find out when they switch that the grass is not always greener. Sprint's CS has really improved. I don't like it that they sold their towers and are now leasing them, and I don't like how they don't seem to have a clue in their advertising. I hope they can turn it around. I had Verizon a few years back, and they were the best. But, they were/are also the most expensive. If the iPhone were to ever go to Verizon, I may be tempted to go to them again.
    Lol that non Existent 3G is what really made me wanna switch and that I really feel that Verizon prices are kinda worth it. Just kinda and I will always be envious at the ridiculous amount of stuff that comes with the Sprint plans. I just can't ever go back to them, the 3 times I've been with that company it has been a nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by skohcl View Post
    iPhone @ Verizon = End of AT&T
    Too true

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    lol yea. at&t blows but the iphone blows as a phone also. Its awsome at everything else. I live in NYC and theres coverage everywhere. Even in the subways but if im talking to someone on an iphone they always sound like sh#t and i can expect to be calling them back a few times because of dropped calls.
    It always amazed me when I went back home to NYC and had 5 bars of coverage everywhere with AT&T and still missed calls, texts coming hours late, and massive amounts of dropped calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryenthelion View Post
    This is just the tip of the iceberg. This phone would have been great in 2007. But now its a little more than a feature phone. It leaves much to be desired.
    How is the Pre a little more than feature phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    How is the Pre a little more than feature phone?
    I was wondering the same thing. I was out with my friends for sushi the other night and we had among us a pretty awesome representation of the best of the best of the top smartphones among us. We had two iPhones, a Droid, two Blackberries (a Curve and a Bold), and my Pre. We had an informal round robin comparing features, specs, functionality, and performance. The Blackberries were knocked out pretty early in the discussion. The Droid is a great phone with an awesome screen and seems really fast, but it lacks the polish of the Pre and the iPhone, and the multitasking was a joke compared to the Pre. (Too many steps, not intuitive, hate the idea of having to use a Taskkiller to stop an app. Swiping away an app is too...rewarding. May never be able to go to anything else...) Overall, the Droid is a great phone, has a good app catalog, and is very customizable. But there were several issues for me that were deal-breakers. The keyboard is really awful. I managed more typos on the Droid than on the iPhone's onscreen keyboard...and that is saying a lot. The Pre initially got bad press for the current keyboard, but I have never had an issue with it. The Droid would also not show up as a USB device on my Vista PC until I loaded Verizon drivers on it (hear it works natively in Win7 but could not test.) And the poor implementation of multitasking and notifications leaves me wanting more.

The iPhone is a slick piece of hardware, and is fast. It has tons of apps...which is pretty much the main arguement that was used during the discussion. I would point out a feature, and he would say, yeah, but I have an app that allows me to do this...and so on. So the iPhone is slick, and it is definitely flexible for a variety of users because of the sheer volume of apps out there...pretty much anyone will find an app to fit their need. But in the end, it seemed to be a one trick pony. If you take away the app catalog, it really is not that great of a phone. The actual phone is not that good, the email client is just average, the lack of synergy for contact info (which the Droid does have...and it works about as slick as the Pre) is a glaring omission, and no multitasking sucks. The iPhone's integration with the world of Apple is a boon for the guy I was with, as he lives in iTunes (music, podcasts, video, etc) and he would be lost without his iTunes fix. He hooks his phone up before leaving for work to sync the day's worth of entertainment, and he is good. But as I have sworn never to be dependent on a platform for my media, iTunes is a non issue for me. So I still don't see the allure of the iPhone.

My point is that each platform has it's strengths and weaknesses, but in the end, when you compare the Pre with the current best of breed, once we get Flash and video recording, there is nothing that stands out as a major feature that Palm does not have. (Two exceptions - I want a native Audible app..this is not a Palm issue though, and I wish we had a internal compass and a auto focus camera...but these are hardware specific, and has nothing to to with the OS.)

So I respectfully disagree...the Pre is not a feature phone. In the world of smartphones, it is definitely one of the smartest.
    I'm just saying for what the PALM PRE comes with out of the box, without doing patches or Homebrewing....

The operating system lacks a lot of things that the competition has. yes we have multitasking and multi-touch, but:
    - the email app is terrible
    -the calendar is terrible
    -the phone function is terrible
    -customization is non existent
    -build quality is poor and cheap
    -the screen is the smallest in it's class of "smartphones"
    -onboard storage is small with NO SD slot
    -and if you can't tell me the keyboard buttons are too small then your lying to yourself

this is just my opinion and your free to disagree but that's how i feel. I love the operating system concept and i will stick with Palm, i just hope they make major improvements in the future.
    I've had plenty of feature phones...the Pre is nothing like a feature phone. It really depends on the user. For me the calendar and contacts synergy is fantastic. Email app leaves something to be desired, but allowing multiple accounts is great. Never really use the phone app, just dial from the keyboard. And customization is great since Palm is open to the developer community...regardless the phone is far from a feature phone
    this is just my opinion and your free to disagree but that's how i feel. I love the operating system concept and i will stick with Palm, i just hope they make major improvements in the future.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your opinion, but opinions are like rectal orificesí, everyone has one and most do not care.
    3. Option to completely reset to factory fresh status. This is no longer possible using the current WebOs Doctor.
    The combination of WebOS Doctor and doing a full erase does this. I suspect that leaving the USB drive was Palm's conession to people that complained that WebOS Dr erased too much.
    1. Option to sort apps alphabetically.
    2. Option to add more programs to the quick wave. Really, not counting the Phone and Launcher arrow, we only have 3 shortcuts available.
    4. Ability to stream WMA radio stations.
    5. Voice Recorder (hopefully that is coming with 1.4).
    6. Ability to save passwords in the browser.
    7. Enable numeric battery without having to patch the OS. Really, this should be standard.
    8. Bluetooth file transfers.
    9. Get the Touchstone to work correctly at night. Even when it works properly, the Pre is too bright. We should be able to have the screen off while it is charging on the Touchstone without having to patch the OS.
    10. Improve camera performance.

I am a former iPhone user, and I have had the Pre since September. I love it, but it simply is not as polished yet (which is to be expected since it as only been out since June). iPhone 4.0 is about to come out, so I really hope Palm hits it out of the park with WebOS 1.4.
    agree with 6, 8.

disagree with (or dont care about) others
    Quote Originally Posted by ryenthelion View Post
    I'm just saying for what the PALM PRE comes with out of the box, without doing patches or Homebrewing....

The operating system lacks a lot of things that the competition has. yes we have multitasking and multi-touch, but:
    - the email app is terrible
    -the calendar is terrible
    -the phone function is terrible
    -customization is non existent
    -build quality is poor and cheap
    -the screen is the smallest in it's class of "smartphones"
    -onboard storage is small with NO SD slot
    -and if you can't tell me the keyboard buttons are too small then your lying to yourself

this is just my opinion and your free to disagree but that's how i feel. I love the operating system concept and i will stick with Palm, i just hope they make major improvements in the future.
    To address your points:
    1. How is the email terrible? It supports both EAS and Microsoft Exchange, IDLE IMAP, push GMAIL and now Yahoo. I have two push Gmail accounts and get along perfectly.
    2.Calendar lags a bit, and doesn't have category, but for the average joe, again, I don't see a problem with it. What's so horrible about it? You're very vague.
    3.Again, vague. Reception? The accelerometer? Proximity sensor?
    4. True, out of the box you can't change too much, but personalization wasn't the selling point, multi-tasking was. The apps do help with it.
    5.No one can argue this one. Oh slider phone.
    6.You DO know the screen barely smaller than Hero and iPhone, right? The Pre has a 3.1 inch screen. The iPhone and the Hero have a 3.2 inch screen. All of them have the same pixels, 320 x 480 pixels.
    7. The Pre Plus has expandable memory, so Palm's listening on that front.
    8. I don't think the keyboard is too small. I had a centro. THAT is small.
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    7. The Pre Plus has expandable memory, so Palm's listening on that front.
    I'm almost positive this is incorrect. Palm expanded the memory (512mb internal, 16gb storage), but it's still not expandable.

FWIW, I've only used about 20% of my availabl 8gb.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm almost positive this is incorrect. Palm expanded the memory (512mb internal, 16gb storage), but it's still not expandable.

FWIW, I've only used about 20% of my availabl 8gb.
    Many songs and photos and I still have 3.6 GB of storage left on my Pre.
    Id like to cut and paste within the web browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    Id like to cut and paste within the web browser.
    if you mean copy and paste, its already there

if you mean cut and paste from text area in webpage,, its already there too.

its been there for several months?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast