Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I was driving today and just had the Sprint Nav and the music player (remix) active in the car with the car charger plugged, but the battery level gradually kept decreasing over time!

Is this normal?
    What car charger do you have? Just a micro usb one or an official Palm one? A lot of micro usb chargers don't put out enough juice to keep up with high drain apps like gps.

Search the forums, lots of these types of posts from last June and July.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    What car charger do you have? Just a micro usb one or an official Palm one? A lot of micro usb chargers don't put out enough juice to keep up with high drain apps like gps.

Search the forums, lots of these types of posts from last June and July.
    Its a Sprint charger, but not Palm branded.
    Quote Originally Posted by corpx View Post
    Its a Sprint charger, but not Palm branded.
    As long as it is specifically for the Pre that should be good enough though.
    I had the same problem with a sprint charger.It wouldn't keep up with the drain.I spent the 20 bucks on the palm charger and was able to stream pandora and use gps all the way to San Diego about a 700 mile drive and and battery stayed at 100%
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    What may have been happening was that your phone was getting too hot. Sprint Navigation downloads map data and voice directions on the fly, thereby using the cell radio, and when you use the cell radio a lot it heats up both the phone and battery (radio chip gets hot and battery gets hot from charging/high rate of discharge). Add in the music playing and your phone's cpu was also adding to the heat.

Most charging circuits (esp on cell phones) stop charging a battery if it gets to a certain temperature. This is to either avoid charging a battery too much or to keep from damaging it...or damaging it further if it's already damage.

Most likely your phone was hot enuff that the phone was not actually charging more often than it was charging...hence the drain.
    It's more likely the car charger than an overheating issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    What may have been happening was that your phone was getting too hot. Sprint Navigation downloads map data and voice directions on the fly, thereby using the cell radio, and when you use the cell radio a lot it heats up both the phone and battery (radio chip gets hot and battery gets hot from charging/high rate of discharge). Add in the music playing and your phone's cpu was also adding to the heat.

Most charging circuits (esp on cell phones) stop charging a battery if it gets to a certain temperature. This is to either avoid charging a battery too much or to keep from damaging it...or damaging it further if it's already damage.

Most likely your phone was hot enuff that the phone was not actually charging more often than it was charging...hence the drain.
    I concur with that actually. I was headed down to Santa Barbara and I was using a car that didn't have my touchstone mounted in it. Now usually, I can run Trapster, Sprint Nav, and Music Player Remix all at the same time in my usual car with no problems at all. In this case, I just had the phone sitting in the center console and I noticed the battery was draining and my phone was HOT. The audio actually stopped working for a good amount of the trip, making me revert over to local radio. So, the solution? Get some good cooling for your Pre or get a touchstone??
    ^^did you use the same car charger with the touchstone that you used in Santa Barbara??

i dont think its a colling issue, its probably the charger.

I played music and sprint nav with the usb cord that came with the phone plugged into a cheapo generic car charger with usb port on it for ipod. worked fine
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It's more likely the car charger than an overheating issue.
    I still beg to differ. Even the Treos would stop charging when the device/ battery got to a certain temp. The OP's stated facts point directly to a temperature issue. I've had similar issues with my Pre and the 3800mAh battery and my car charger. It just depends on what you're doing with it.

I'd be willing to bet that if th OP had been either listening to music -or- using sprint nav, not both at the same time - probably would have been ok. Unless it the pre was lying on a surface that didn't work well as a passive heat sink, the ambient temp inside the car, etc. Again...lots of variables here.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Probably a temperature issue then. I was roaming for a good portion of the drive and had spotty signals in other places.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The GPS radio and data connection are both being used for the GPS services. If your charger is not pushing 1000mAh, then it can drain the battery faster than it is charged. Sprint carries 2 chargers with Micro-USB connections right now, but only one of them them is labeled as Palm specific. The Palm branded car chargers are excellent, but expensive.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    I had that issue with the Sprint launch day car charger (non-palm)
    I have two now that don't lose but don't gain a great deal.
    If I have Nav-Pandora
    one is the Palm car charger and a generic iphone charger with a usb charger in the side (fm transmitter)