1.    #1  
    HI ALL

WHEN I AM TRYING TO DOWNLOAD ANY FILE (MAINLY MP3) FROM THE INTERNET USING NORMAL WEB SITES..

PRE WILL DOWNLOAD THIS AS .PHP .. AND WONT PLAY THE FILE... OR IT STARTS STREAMING .. WHICH CANNOT BE SAVED.

I WAS LOOKING AT THE PRECENTRAL HOME PAGE TODAY AND FOUND THIS LINE...

"Preware is a free Homebrew Installer from WebOS Internals for your Palm Pre or Pixi. Preware lets you download content directly to your phone. If you don't yet have Preware, you can be in on the fun in a matter of minutes with the Preware Getting Started Guide."

SO IF I INSTALL PREWARE - WILL I BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD CONTENT DIRECTLY FROM INTERNET AS WELL ?

i did not install preware/ web os internals etc.... cos im too lazy ... but once i know i will have this advantage .. along with the virtual keyboards .... ill install preware...

the content i want to d'load is mostly mP3'S, pictures, pdf's, ms docs... let me know what u ppl think....

thanks...
    There is a patch through Preware that will allow you to download .mp3's directly to your phone.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Please don't type in caps, for any amount of time.

The reason .php files will be downloaded is usually not the fault of the pre or webos but the way the mp3 file is being provided by the website your visiting. When you click on the link it is pointed to a .php address which will then run code to stream the file to you, possibly so you don't illegally download files.

Preware will allow you to download Homebrew Apps (basically just apps people have made no real difference between the ones in the app-catalog), Patches which will change some aspect of WebOS such as allowing you to have a 4 by 4 icon launcher or allow you to download youtube videos, and Themes which allow you to recolor and redesign a large percentage of WebOS to be however you desire.

FileCoaster is another option which links to apps and allows you to input an address to download a file, however this will most likely result in the same .php problem you are expirencing.

You can give us one of your 'NORMAL WEB SITES' that your trying to download these files from and we can work out how you can get those files download, or you can try somewhere else, or you could look through Preware to see if a patch sounds like it'd work for you.

Are you tapping on a link while holding orange to download rather than stream these files?
    What can I do to download a file say a free application to my pre and them load it to my computer thru USB and then load it back ?

Also Why when I get file.dat it tells me is not recognized and won’t give me a choice to select a program to open it?

Thank you

Thank you
    I'm having the same problem, I'm trying to download a .mp3 file from my own website to my Pre (im not at home) and it just tries to stream it and won't let me save the file. I've tried orange+click but I don't have an option to save.
    You guys need the Multi Mod patch.
    Last edited by NachoB; 08/03/2010 at 06:08 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Argghh... The caps, can't hardly read your post...
    There are some things with this phone that just seem like common sense and yet are missing
    Only problem is, if you are using 1.4.5 the multi mod patch isn't available yet. I have one of those blank markers in place till it becomes available, I miss that patch, it was quite useful. Hope it gets sorted soon(HINT HINT)!
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    Also Why when I get file.dat it tells me is not recognized and won’t give me a choice to select a program to open it?
    To be honest .dat is an oooold file extension used by many a program. As far as I know, no desktop operating systen has got a standard application connected to *.dat files (notepad excluded, as this may default to some), so how do you expect the pre to know, what program should make use of this? If you know, that the file.dat in reality is a music.mp3, you could rename it via Internalz and it'll be handled just fine by the Pre.

Oh, and for file downloading: a week or so ago, a program called "Frizzle" has been released, which is an ambitious little piece of code wanting to become a full fledged download manager for the Pre (sorry, developer, this is no disrespect for you or your program, I just like to use many words to keep my English fresh ). You should be abble to find it in Preware or here on the forums.
    'til we meet again.
    THL