1.    #1  
    My wife and I got Pres the first week they were out. We like the WebOS, but the hardware, well, it sucks. I'm on my 3rd Pre, and my wife is on her 4th. Her 3rd died two days after she picked it up.

My wife is 100% dependent on her phone for her job. She can't afford to have a week where she can't use her phone, and unfortunately, that has happened to often while she waits for a replacement to come in. Also, the only Sprint store that does an exchange is downtown which is not easy to get to, and always takes at least an hour.

We're also worried that after June, what do we do when the Pre breaks. And it is a when, Palm has not showed either of us that they can make a phone that will last more than 2 months, much less a year. So, what are my options for getting Sprint and/or Palm to give us a refund or exchange for a totally different phone. I paid way too much money to have a phone for 6 months with constant problems to be told 'tough luck.'
    I thought you meant OBAMA!
    Sorry for your bad luck, it is.

you should try call up sprint and let them know your thoughts, depends on your needs, I would imagine both BB or Android can be options.
    They are warrantied for a year so that should get you to your next renewal. Your only other choice is to call Sprint and see if they can help you or to buy a phone of ebay, craiglist, here or wherever.

It's not correct to say Palm can't make a phone that lasts two months. Mine has lasted just fine, no problems, no oreos. So it's not to say the good one's don't exist. You just have had bad luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoertz View Post
    LOL... I kinda scratched my head for a second too.. then I remembered where I was!
    This gave me a chuckle
    I'm beginig to think that all of these negative posts about the Pre are from people from the apple world or something. Other wise, what the hell are they doing to their phones for it to last 2 months? Not to say that I haven't had issues w/ the phone. And all these posts about leaving palm and going some where else, actually taking time to type in 2-3 paragraghs. People are never going to be satisfied, unless they get something for free.
    I went through more Blackberry Curve's than Pre's.

Food for thought.
    Awesome! Gave me my laugh for the day.

jimmyp, your problem is not new. Really you have 2 choices. Stay or go. Pretty simple. You can get out of your Sprint contract and not look back. Or, you can continue to work on getting a phone that is ok. That's what the 1 year warranty is there for. I was in line at launch, and went through 3 before my 4th came. It still oreos and has a gap, but I've learned to deal with it. I know others who claim to have never had a problem with their original pre.
    It's your call.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
    My wife is 100% dependent on her phone for her job. She can't afford to have a week where she can't use her phone
    I would recommend a Blackberry if it's so mission-critical. It's the best business device IMO.

We're also worried that after June
    If you're a Sprint Premiere, you get to upgrade one of them every 12 months.
    It's a valid concern. Many of us on this site have been through several Pres (Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr.)

Don't worry about the warranty issue, I bought my last phone (a Treo 650) in Jan of 2002 and basically didn't pay for another phone until I bought the Pre in June 2009 (over 7 years without paying for a phone!). I had at least 6 Treo 650s, 1 Treo 700p and 3 Treo 755p's, and all were replaced under warranty. The warranty date just keeps moving out each time you get a replacement.

Without quick access to replacement phones, downtime can happen to your wife regardless of the phone she uses. A good solution is to have an old phone (maybe a Treo or Blackberry?) as a spare, to activate online if her primary phone goes down. You can swap out phones yourself, in minutes, through the Sprint website. It's almost as easy as pulling a SIM card from one phone and putting it into another. Just make sure you wait until your main phone is checked into the shop before you do the swap, and keep the DEC # for your main phone, so you can put it back on before you retrieve your repaired/replaced device.

If you are considering replacements, I would suggest trying the Pixi. It's a great phone (my dad has one, and I set it up for him), has none of the hardware issues the Pre has appeared to have, and still gives you WebOS. Alternatively, try Blackberry. It's a boring but solid platform with some pretty workhorse devices. But the Android devices on Sprint, according to the Sprint techs I know, are a mixed bag with terrible battery life. There are some great Android phones, Sprint just doesn't have them.

Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 01/19/2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Wrote too much of a book!
    It took me about 4 replacements and 3 for my wife to get solid phones. I need to remind people that when you replace your Pre, most of the time you get a referbed one. After my last Pre broke, I insisted to Sprint that I wanted a NEW one and they gave a new Pre. Have not had issues since I got it 3 months ago.
    These stories of Pre disaster remind me so much of when I got my Palm 700P. Pages and Pages and threads and threads of stories of horror and disaster and the phone being junk, etc.. Well, the worst never happened to me on the Palm 700P. Damn good phone. And while there are quirks with the Pre, I am loving it. Knock on wood, of course, but I am most pleased with Palm AND Sprint. But, I would like a few things from my 700P on the Pre.... such as date stamped pictures. Just my 2 cents- I know all new products have their issues. One reason I waited until 3 weeks ago to get mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by taylork View Post
    These stories of Pre disaster remind me so much of when I got my Palm 700P. Pages and Pages and threads and threads of stories of horror and disaster and the phone being junk, etc.. Well, the worst never happened to me on the Palm 700P. Damn good phone. And while there are quirks with the Pre, I am loving it. Knock on wood, of course, but I am most pleased with Palm AND Sprint. But, I would like a few things from my 700P on the Pre.... such as date stamped pictures. Just my 2 cents- I know all new products have their issues. One reason I waited until 3 weeks ago to get mine...
    There's a patch available through Preware, that lets you changing the naming convention for pictures to a date stamp. So, even if the pic itself doesn't have one on it, it's at least in the name. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    pixi pixi pixi... My recommendation is change to a pixi. There are two ways you can do this. 1. Call up sprint c.s. And either have them note on your record that future failure woll allow you to obtain pixi in exchange or maybe even they will switch it out now. Especially if you've had your replacement for less than 30 days. (2) call palm. Tell em what happened and that pixi may be preferred.

plus the pixi keyboard simply rocks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    pixi pixi pixi... My recommendation is change to a pixi. There are two ways you can do this. 1. Call up sprint c.s. And either have them note on your record that future failure woll allow you to obtain pixi in exchange or maybe even they will switch it out now. Especially if you've had your replacement for less than 30 days. (2) call palm. Tell em what happened and that pixi may be preferred.

plus the pixi keyboard simply rocks!
    does anyone have a phone number for palm in reference to these kind of exchanges.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    It's not correct to say Palm can't make a phone that lasts two months. Mine has lasted just fine, no problems, no oreos. So it's not to say the good one's don't exist. You just have had bad luck.
    You have a point here. If this wasn't the case Palm would not be in business anymore. There is no way their business would be sustainable if everyone went through 3 or 4 Pres.
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    You have a point here. If this wasn't the case Palm would not be in business anymore. There is no way their business would be sustainable if everyone went through 3 or 4 Pres.
    I have seen about 10 people with Pre's and I have not found one yet that is perfect. Has absolutelly no flaws. Like eather dead pixel or slight oreo, or leaking light around the black part of the screen. I think everyone has issues with it its just that people are sick and tired of replacing it. Like I just got my latest replacement last week and out of the box just like all my other ones I could find something right away but I just don't want to deal with replacements anymore.

If anyone has a number for palm I would appriciate if someone could post it so that I could talk to them about this.
    We have 3 launch day pre's with no problems. Polls on precentral.net have indicated that the majority of Pre owners have had no problems, that just like every other phone manufacturer, a small % of owners have problems, no company is immune to this. While some people seek out forums for ways to improve their user experience, the majority are unhappy customers wanting to vent.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    We have 3 launch day pre's with no problems. Polls on precentral.net have indicated that the majority of Pre owners have had no problems, that just like every other phone manufacturer, a small % of owners have problems, no company is immune to this. While some people seek out forums for ways to improve their user experience, the majority are unhappy customers wanting to vent.
    The few people that have problems, tend to take more than one replacement to fix, because of the replacements being a "fixed" previous problem phone. Unfortunately, refurbs make what should have been a single replacement into multiples.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.