1.    #1  
    Had my O2 Pre for 24 hours now.
    Build quality (on mine) is poor, i can twist the top section by 2mm each way when its closed, its tighter when opened but feels decidedly fragile when shut!!
    Back cover removing/replacing, i had use a guitar plectrum as my thumb nail isnt like a guitar virtuoso's ;-) doesnt feel to sturdy and i would imagine that it wont hold up to being removed to many times, or indeed one good drop against a hard floor!!
    Turning on and setting up the account was perfect and easy, my gmail and facebook accounts sync'd perfectly and contacts allowed me to link them to pre-existing SIM contacts.
    WebOs so far (updated to latest version) has been a joy to use and the learning curve was easy and intuitive, the gestures work, for the most part (odd stutter), excellently.
    So apart from the build quality (im sitting here waiting for a courier to bring a replacement) i think Palm and O2 are onto a winner :-)

Couple of questions:-

Can events/appointments be made to show in colour in month view?

Can you set up profiles like other mobiles such as "outside, meeting, handsfree etc" where tones/volumes/themes can be assigned for each rather than having just the ringer on/off switch, its a feature i used a lot on my old N95 and could even be set up to switch profiles at different times of the day using a timer?

Can anyone recommend a UK/Europe source of decent quality cases and screen guards along the lines of the Seidio ones recommended on this site?

Many thanks,
    firstly i recommend you return the Pre and get another that doesnt have a problem with the build quality, if possible, as after the 14 days your out of luck, basically...

As for appoints in month view, i believe you can, but it didnt work for me, ( you need to use preware).

no profiles, just silent and manually adjusting.
    no themes (unless you use preware), no tones for notification or calendar (unless you use preware). However the settings are all located in "sounds and ringtones" and also check under the dialer. So open the numberpad and thenpress the button at the top left for more settings.

i dont use any cases, i just brought the touchstone (which by the way you SHOULD HAVE GOT FOR FREE FROM O2)!!!!!! CHECK THEIR SITE!
    Palm Index Page

p.s did anybody see the new prices from o2? the iphone 3g is now CHEAPER than the pre, based on the 18th month contract. interesting
    i bought my pre instore at O2 and didn't get the touchstone free..apparently they run different promos online and in store. not best pleased but i can live without the touchstone.

as for OP, I too have a 2mm twist when slider is closed but it's not something that troubles me infinitely. i'd rather keep my phone then have to reconfigure 3 months worth of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdonline View Post
    i bought my pre instore at O2 and didn't get the touchstone free..apparently they run different promos online and in store. not best pleased but i can live without the touchstone.

as for OP, I too have a 2mm twist when slider is closed but it's not something that troubles me infinitely. i'd rather keep my phone then have to reconfigure 3 months worth of use.
    you know if you went through quidco.com you would get 70 cashback too if you brought online
    i only 40 still, thats over a month free rental
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    firstly i recommend you return the Pre and get another that doesnt have a problem with the build quality, if possible, as after the 14 days your out of luck, basically...

i dont use any cases, i just brought the touchstone (which by the way you SHOULD HAVE GOT FOR FREE FROM O2)!!!!!! CHECK THEIR SITE!
    Palm Index Page

p.s did anybody see the new prices from o2? the iphone 3g is now CHEAPER than the pre, based on the 18th month contract. interesting
    I just sat waiting for a courier with a replacement.... he turned up without a Pre but with a Touchstone base!!!!!!!! just spoke to CS and the replacement Pre should arrive tomorrow along with the Touchstone Back to go with the base (someone @ O2 forgot to include my freebies with the original order!!)

Im hoping that now the developers are allowed the details that apps will become available to smooth out our little niggles/missing features, shame things like profiles arn't included as standard but im sure someone will get round it without having to add a patch or preware just like thay have on the F*nboyPhone :-)

This operating system on decent (or should i say consistent quality) hardware would be excellent.

Oh and wake by pressing the centre button would be good for one handed operation.
    just slide the phone up to remove the lock, thats what i do
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I brought a Hama camera case from Asda for 6. Attaches to my belt and fits the Pre perfectly.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I have come from a WM background, in fact I still have a WM device in the form of an HTC HD2 (which is great for those times when you need a real big screen) But I am utterly hooked on the Pre. You can do many of the mods you want with Preware and home brew apps, I have chosen to keep my Pre "stock" as it is so useful to me I am scared of bricking it (unlike the HD2 which has already been flashed with a cooked ROM). Frequent updates from Palm keep adding functionality and within 2 months us Europeans will have access to the full apps catalogue + WebOS1.4 which promises a great deal (video recording, Flash 10.1 etc.).