Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Hi there! I need some advice. I have had my pre for just shy of a month and my daughter dropped it last night. it keeps going in to airplane mode and the power button does not work now. Here is my question: Will having preware,patches,etc, void my warranty? I am going to take it to sprint this afternoon. Should I remove all of this first? If yes, do I just do it through my computer using the web os doctor? I have read in the forums all morning, but cannot seem to find anything about wether Sprint approves or not. Thanks soooooo much for any help you can provide.
    Nope. Palm has confirmed (I don't have a link, maybe someone else can provide it) that modifying the software will NOT void the warranty.

But to be safe, remove all patches/themes. In case a Sprint CSR is uninformed (which is usually the case) and tries to be hard headed.

FIND & REMOVE THEME FIRST if you have one installed. To remove all patches, open up Preware & click on "List of Everything". Search for "Emergency Patch Recovery".
    Last edited by Syphon; 01/19/2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo
    Follow Me On

Personally I'd just doctor the phone so that way you've covered all the bases.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    i removed theme. When i go to list of everyhting and enter emergency the only thing that comes up is LIMITED EMERGENCY BUTTON. I have used the patch remover before (when I updated last). Doctoring it is putting it back to original right? How would I do that? Sorry to sound like a spaz- I just don't want any hassle from Sprint, ya know? LOL
    Sorry, the name of the actual patch is "Emergency Patch Recovery". If you type in "emergency", it should appear.

Yes, doctoring it is erasing the entire phone & putting it back to "stock" settings. To do that, you will have to download the file to your PC & follow the instructions. File is available here: Palm - Download webOS™ Doctor
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    i did type emergency, can't seem to to pull it up. Thanks so much for your help. I will do this ASAP. Have a wonderful day!!!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shellzda1 View Post
    i did type emergency, can't seem to to pull it up. Thanks so much for your help. I will do this ASAP. Have a wonderful day!!!
    there has been an issue recently with finding epr. you may have to reinstall the package manager service and preware using webos quick install.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    so would it be better to reinstall package manager and preware or just doctor it?
    doctor it and be done
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Nope. Palm has confirmed (I don't have a link, maybe someone else can provide it) that modifying the software will NOT void the warranty.
    I have spent some time looking for Palm information on just this issue. Too this day I have seen nothing. As you have asked, if anyone knows of a link at Palm stating that software changes are allowed and the hardware warranty will still be in effect, please post a link to it here.
    And also as most of you have said, I to agree, it is better to be safe and reset to factory settings before service.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    then doctor it I shall................
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I have spent some time looking for Palm information on just this issue. Too this day I have seen nothing. As you have asked, if anyone knows of a link at Palm stating that software changes are allowed and the hardware warranty will still be in effect, please post a link to it here.
    And also as most of you have said, I to agree, it is better to be safe and reset to factory settings before service.
    That would be some shady **** if they keep giving props and HELPING the WebOSinernalz to only then say it voids your warrenty.

Besides, they provide a method to reinstall the OS no questions asked. Even if they did not allow homebrewing...they would never know if you really had to deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shellzda1 View Post
    Hi there! I need some advice. I have had my pre for just shy of a month and my daughter dropped it last night. it keeps going in to airplane mode and the power button does not work now. Here is my question: Will having preware,patches,etc, void my warranty? I am going to take it to sprint this afternoon. Should I remove all of this first? If yes, do I just do it through my computer using the web os doctor? I have read in the forums all morning, but cannot seem to find anything about wether Sprint approves or not. Thanks soooooo much for any help you can provide.
    I just exchanged my second Pre this morning. First one headphone jack messed up and this one battery overheated. Both of them had preware, patches, and a theme on them. I have no problems either time exchanges my Pre. Just my two cents worth for you, but like others have said some CSR may not be knowledgeable about preware. The guys I deal with at my store are they both have Pres with preware. Good luck
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    BEFORE U DOCTOR TRY THIS.....if you can preload you can download preware and package manager all in one//
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    That would be some shady **** if they keep giving props and HELPING the WebOSinernalz to only then say it voids your warrenty.

Besides, they provide a method to reinstall the OS no questions asked. Even if they did not allow homebrewing...they would never know if you really had to deal with it.
    And the link at Palm saying software changes do not void hardware warranty would be? I lived way to many years to not want to see it in writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    And the link at Palm saying software changes do not void hardware warranty would be? I lived way to many years to not want to see it in writing.
    How about you show me a link where they say it WILL?